Windows 10: How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot

Discus and support How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey all! This is a tutorial to show you how to remove any one of your OS in a single computer when it's dual-booted. Here, I'm speaking about how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Joe13 B- 2.0, Jan 18, 2021.

1. How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot

Hey all!

This is a tutorial to show you how to remove any one of your OS in a single computer when it's dual-booted. Here, I'm speaking about how to remove Android x86 from your Windows 10 computer. This method will also work in other OS like Ubuntu, Linux, MacOS, etc.

1. Boot your computer into Windows and reach the desktop.
    2. Open Run press Win key + R and type msconfig and hit Enter.
    3. When it opens, go to the Boot tab. Select the other OS installed. Here, I'll select Android x86.
    4. After selecting it, click Delete. When prompted, click Yes or similar option.
    5. Quit msconfig and restart your computer. If you're lucky, you'll boot into Windows.
    6. If you've disabled fast startup before dual-booting, enable it so that Windows can boot up faster.

That's all! Simple, right?

Please leave your replies below!

Joe13 B- 2.0

:)

Joe13 B- 2.0, Jan 18, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jan 18, 2021
  3. RS Z28 Win User
    Dual booting OS

Dave is correct, However, If you take ownership of C:\ System (Windows) when you are booted to each OS. Then depending on why you are asking this, as in you do not want others to access the other OS, then Take ownership as mentioned. Then you MUST add your
    user name in the list with full permissions/control. Then you would remove all users in the list

EXCEPT KEEP THESE>>YOUR NEWLY ADDED USER NAME, SYSTEM, AUTHENTICATED USERS

REMOVE USERS>>>ADMINS, USERS & EVERYONE

Now for an OS you are booted to. You can add other users in the security users list for C:\ and/or C:\Users & C:\Users\Programs and Programs (x86) & C:\Windows

if there is others with user accounts on that OS. And then grant them the permissions you want to allow.

Because you have removed the user ADMINS, so they need to be granted permissions to access the OS as normal.

Look in Part 2 for detailed steps for ownership, permissions and sharing

Connect PCs and users for sharing Windows 10 to Windows 8/7/Vista/XP

RS Z28, Jan 18, 2021
  4. How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot

How to remove dual boot on Windows 10?

Hello Abdelmonem,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to delete one of the dual partitions performed on your computer both of which is Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 OS.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Which partition would you like to remove (Upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1)?
    • Do you remember the Drive partitions on which the OS were installed?

To delete the dual boot partition, you need to boot into the Windows version which you do not want to remove and then format the drive on which the other OS is installed.

Suppose you have Windows 10 OS upgraded from Windows 7 on C: drive and on
    D: drive the one from Windows 8.1, to delete the Windows partition upgraded from Windows 8.1you need to then
    D: drive after booting to Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OS.

To format the unwanted OS drive, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk Management from the context menu.
    • Right click on the drive you want to format and select Format from the context menu.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot

1. How to remove any one of your OS in your computer when it's set to dual-boot - Similar Threads - remove computer set

2. How to update Windows 10 to 22H2 when your device is dual booted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to update Windows 10 to 22H2 when your device is dual booted: I am trying to update a computer from Windows 10 version 1709 to Windows 10 version 22H2 but once the update is completed the computer restarts and it stays on the version 1709. I want to also mention that the computer is dual booted with Ubuntu. Has anyone come across this...
  3. How to update Windows 10 to 22H2 when your device is dual booted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to update Windows 10 to 22H2 when your device is dual booted: I am trying to update a computer from Windows 10 version 1709 to Windows 10 version 22H2 but once the update is completed the computer restarts and it stays on the version 1709. I want to also mention that the computer is dual booted with Ubuntu. Has anyone come across this...
  4. How to update Windows 10 to 22H2 when your device is dual booted

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Windows OS system cannot boot with only one OS: Hello all,I have 2 nvme SSDs on my system that each contains its own Windows installation, one with Windows 10, one with Windows 11.I bought the second SSD a few months back, installed Windows 11 on it, and it works like a charm. However, I am always prompted with the select...
  6. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  7. How to remove "This setting is Managed by your administrator."

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove "This setting is Managed by your administrator.": [ATTACH] My PC doesn't belong to any workstation or group. But it still doesn't allow me to change the setting. I tried lot of suggested solutions but in vain. Please help me to resolve this problem....
  8. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  9. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?: This is more or less a project, seeing if I CAN do this successfully without messing up my Windows OS. I have 2 hard drives (both same 2 TB capacity); one is my main Windows 10 OS system, the other was/will-be intended for system-image/macrium-reflect backups in-case my main...
  10. Dual boot but BitLocker only in one OS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot but BitLocker only in one OS: Hi, the scenario is: C: Win 10 D: Data E: Win 10 for experiments C: can see D: but cannot see E: E: cannot see C: and D: I want to apply BitLocker only for C: and D: while E: can remain without it. Is that possible? Both C: and E: has quick boot disabled....