Windows 10: How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

Discus and support How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm posting this as an answer in the questions section because I believe that more people will see it there than in the discussions section. Recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DoctorCoconut, Dec 5, 2018.

1. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

I'm posting this as an answer in the questions section because I believe that more people will see it there than in the discussions section.

Recently I noticed that my icons on my desktop had a pair of blue arrows in the top right corner. This was also true for my documents folder. Any new files that I created had the blue arrows.

I found out that it was due to my files being compressed after looking through other forum posts of people with similar issues. The answers provided didn't actually fix the problem, so I figured it out myself and brought it to attention while I was chatting with Microsoft support.

To resolve this:

>Open file explorer,

>Right-click on the affected directory (desktop/documents in my case),

>Go to "Properties,"

>"Advanced,"

>Uncheck "Compress contents to save disk space,"

>"Ok,"

>"Apply."

The files will begin uncompressing, and this will prevent new files from becoming compressed automatically.

This may be caused by an update, as this exact issue was present across three different devices of mine.

:)

DoctorCoconut, Dec 5, 2018
  2. fastpuppy Win User

Mysterious Blue Double-Arrows Added to Windows Desktop File & Folder Icons

The fact that Microsoft released something like this with no documentation, no notice, no off-switch, etc... shows that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The fact that the solutions for this involve either registry hacks or widespread decompression of files is idiocy.

The fact that people putting themselves forward as "experts" without doing even a cursory google search is asinine.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PROVIDE AN ANSWER!

• norton has nothing to do with this
    • it involves compressed files
    • it is part of windows
    Yes Norton is one of the worst pieces of software on the market but this situation cropped up after an update so the solution
    obviously would not have been in lanedog33's 2010
    post.

Anyone with an IQ over room temperature should be able to deduce this quickly enough.

2 example posts of what is out there:

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death - Nerdshack

November 29th, 2015

"Somewhere in the recent TH2 builds a new overlay was introduced to indicate compressed files/folders."

“TH2” or “the real Windows 10”

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

03/01/2016

the compressed folders will display blue arrows at the top right corner of the folders

fastpuppy, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Vinarino Win User
    Blue Arrows on folder and file icons

Double Blue Arrows that point at each other = Compression:

Originally, this feature was fantastic.

Previously, compression was indicated simply and optionally by turning the file/folder name blue.

Vinarino, Dec 5, 2018
  4. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

1. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders. - Similar Threads - Remove Blue Double

2. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double blue arrow: why i cant get of this double arrow ? i already use the properties way . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-blue-arrow/e1e4ff28-6961-4cf3-a0b4-979c6a05eca0
  3. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double blue arrow: why i cant get of this double arrow ? i already use the properties way . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-blue-arrow/e1e4ff28-6961-4cf3-a0b4-979c6a05eca0
  4. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Blue arrow compression icon - how to remove

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blue arrow compression icon - how to remove: Any way to get rid of this annoying blue arrows?I want to keep compression if it makes my PC more efficient, but not have these show up all the time.Is this possible?Should I keep compression?My SSD HD is 70% fullShould I remove files to gain more speed?Thanks...
  6. Compressed folder (two blue arrows)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressed folder (two blue arrows): Every time I create a new folder, it shows the two blue arrows. I know how to get rid of it after creating a new folder, but it never did this before. Is there a way to change the settings so that when I create the new folder, it doesn't have those two blue arrows? Thank...
  7. Stop compressing files automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop compressing files automatically: My PC got pretty low on storage a few months ago and started compressing files by itself. I have now got around 200gb free and would like it to stop. Has anyone got any potential solutions to stop this, please? I have already looked at the properties of the C drive and the...
  8. Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression

Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression: Hi Really pissed off at the moment.. turns out I have no say in whether compression is applied to my files. While they buried 'Clippy' the annoyingly patronising assistant in word, Microsoft still apparently allows his spirit to live on in them.. just like the forced...
  9. Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option)

Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option): Hello Guys, I recently noticed that all my folders have a double blue arrow on top, after some research I notice is a window option to compress files to save space, never saw this before ever, I want to get rid of this or turn this option off, after reading some info, I...
  10. How to remove double arrows next to Icon label in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove double arrows next to Icon label in a folder: After updating Windows 10 to ver.1803.xxx I get these 2 circular arrows next to every Icon Label. They only appear on Icon Labels INSIDE a folder. When I move the Icon out out the folder to the Desktop the arrows are gone. When I move them back in a folder they re-appear....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove compression arrows

2. how to fix two blue arrows on folders

3. remove blue arrows on files without going through each one

4. remove blue compression arrrows,
  5. fix blue double-arrows added to windows desktop file & folder icons,
  6. how to remove double compression arrows,
  7. windows 100 compressed files blue arrows,
  8. Blue Double-Arrows Added to Windows Desktop File,
  9. remove automatic blue arrows icon,
  10. how to stop icons compressing,
  11. how to stop blue compression arrows,