Windows 10: How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?

Discus and support How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell 4650 has a built-in CD/DVD drive that works just fine, but the computer is on a shelf under a desk and facing the wrong way, so using the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Electrojim, Apr 20, 2019.

1. How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?

My Dell 4650 has a built-in CD/DVD drive that works just fine, but the computer is on a shelf under a desk and facing the wrong way, so using the drive is awkward. So I bought a Toshiba 'external' drive that connects with a USB cable, and it works just as well and can be within easy reach. Both drives show up under 'This PC,' and I'm generally able to keep them straight, but is there a way to make the native Dell drive drop off the list short of disconnecting it? I'd want to be able to come back and reinstate it easily, without having to reinstall the driver or whatever. Can this be done easily, reversibly, and without hardware modification? Thanks!

:)

Electrojim, Apr 20, 2019
  2. C_C
    c_C Win User

DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

3. Bree Win User
    Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

4. How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?

DVD RW Drive

Hi Julia,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

Please provide us the following information:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the exact\complete error message?
    Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives .

• Right click on the driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?

1. How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'? - Similar Threads - remove built DVD

2. How to remove these "Folders" & "Devices and drives" from explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove these "Folders" & "Devices and drives" from explorer: These seem redundant to have these displayed next to each other. I always use the left hand column instead. Why click "> Folder" when the contents are already displayed? Is there a way to remove/hide these from the file explorer main panel? 181055
  3. How can I remove a device from one drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove a device from one drive: Today around 2pm I was uploading some files to one drive when I saw a notification saying some of these files that were uploaded have been permanently deleted I was shocked because my one drive had my most important documents. I have a feeling that some other device has...
  4. How to remove path from "This PC" - "Devices and drives"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove path from "This PC" - "Devices and drives": I use citrix workspace and once I logged into my windows 10 PC, it created a drive option here mapped to my local machine outside citrix. This doesn't work anymore as I disabled permissions for read/write. But this option is still showing and throws an error if I open it. How...
  5. How to remove junk shortcut from device and drive in this PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove junk shortcut from device and drive in this PC: [ATTACH] I accidentally install some junk program. I have uninstall that program use Revo uninstaller, clean registry but there is still a junk shortcut left over in device and drive. Anyone have any idea how to remove it? Thanks...
  6. dvd drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd drive: HI i have a toshiba satelitte pro c50 which has been upgraded to windows 10. now i find that the dvd/cd drive does not work. The link is there and i can insert a disc in but it does not play....
  7. Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Hard Drive from device safely!: I can't remove my hdd without formatting, It's always showing the device is currently in use. I've tried restarting windows explorer from task management, uninstalling/disabling the drive from device manager, restarting the system, but nothing works. The hdd drive H isn't...
  8. How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?

How to remove built-in DVD drive from 'Devices and Drives'?: My Dell 4650 has a built-in CD/DVD drive that works just fine, but the computer is on a shelf under a desk and facing the wrong way, so using the drive is awkward. So I bought a Toshiba 'external' drive that connects with a USB cable, and it works just as well and can be...
  9. Remove PUP application from DVD Drive (F:) CDROM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove PUP application from DVD Drive (F:) CDROM: Hello: I wanted to download a manual from a website, but when I tried to open the folder my DVD Drive F: CDROM had it as an application (.exe) showing a description of the properties in the image included below. I do not have anything in this (external) drive (CD/DVD) for...
  10. Remove Windows Phone From Devices & Drives??

Remove Windows Phone From Devices & Drives??: Nothing major. But on my laptop, I have a 'Windows Phone' icon next to my DVD drive and hard-drive icon. The Windows Phone isn't even connected anymore, and was wondering how I get rid of the icon? Looked in the devices folder, but it isn't listed. 55537