Windows 10: how to remove cortana from computer

Discus and support how to remove cortana from computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; how do I remove cortana from my computer. It is useless and eats cycles.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AlanMcEntee, Apr 9, 2020.

1. how to remove cortana from computer

how do I remove cortana from my computer. It is useless and eats cycles.

:)

AlanMcEntee, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Cortana's bug

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Cortana might have been hidden, you can enable Cortana by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Right click on the taskbar and click on Cortana.
    2. Select the option Show search box or Show Cortana icon.

However, you can follow the troubleshooting steps from
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana

NOTE: The last step in the article mentioned is to Reset the PC. Resetting the PC will remove the data and programs/applications installed on the computer. We suggest you to take a data backup if you want to reset the PC.

If the above steps didn’t help you fix the problem, reply to the following questions:

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer recently?

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.

Good Luck. how to remove cortana from computer :)

#Real-JohnMcCarty, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

how to remove cortana from computer

Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to remove Cortana from your computer.

I would like to inform that since Cortana is an in-built process, removing Cortana completely from the computer is not possible. I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the Microsoft

Feedback Hub
    . The Microsoft Feedback Hub allows you to tell Microsoft about any problems, suggestions or thoughts to help us improve the Windows experience.

However, if you are IT admin/professional, you may want to check the following settings.

Note: Disabling Cortana might affect few other search features not to work properly.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

Before proceeding, I strongly recommend you to
    Create a system restore point

Using Registry editor:

We can disable Cortana using Registry editor. Refer the steps mentioned below:

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
    Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    2. Type regedit and click on
      OK
    3. Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
      (If you do not see Windows Search then, right click on
      Windows Key
      , select New > Key and rename the key as
      Windows Search
      )
    4. On the right pane, right click on an empty space, select New and select
      DWORD (32—bit).
    5. Now, rename the newly created
      DWORD
      as AllowCortana.
    6. Double click on the DWORD, change the value to
    7. Restart the computer.

Using Group Policy (Only for Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise):

We can also disable Cortana using Group Policy editor. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Component\Search.
    4. On the right pane, double click on
      Allow Cortana and select Disabled.
    5. Click on OK and restart the computer.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

how to remove cortana from computer

1. how to remove cortana from computer - Similar Threads - remove cortana computer

2. How to remove phone from computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove phone from computer?: I recently paired my iPhone 14 to my Windows PC with Phone Link, but it seemed to cause my Bluetooth adapter to bug out. It kept turning on and off so I disabled the Bluetooth adapter and restarted my computer. I reinstalled my Bluetooth driver but now Phone Link will not...
  3. How to remove phone from computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove phone from computer?: I recently paired my iPhone 14 to my Windows PC with Phone Link, but it seemed to cause my Bluetooth adapter to bug out. It kept turning on and off so I disabled the Bluetooth adapter and restarted my computer. I reinstalled my Bluetooth driver but now Phone Link will not...
  4. Removing Cortana From Startup

in Cortana
    Removing Cortana From Startup: How do I remove Cortana from the startup. I'm able to disable it bot not delete it. Is there a way to uninstall Cortana? I checked 2 Run keys in the Registry but it isn't listed in either. I thought there were 3 places in the registry that has the Run key. Can anyone...
  5. How to remove Cortana?

in Cortana
    How to remove Cortana?: Is there a safe procedure to remove Cortana from my computer? According to my perception, Cortana is a kind of spy software preinstalled in my computer. I could be wrong, but I would prefer to remove it than live with it....
  6. How to remove Cortana?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove Cortana?: Is there a safe procedure to remove Cortana from my computer? According to my perception, Cortana is a kind of spy software preinstalled in my computer. I could be wrong, but I would prefer to remove it than live with it....
  7. Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.

in Cortana
    Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.: Want to remove Cortana from my computer as it will never be used by me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-cortana-from-this-computer-as-it-will-never/94ae37e7-22bd-45fc-9c1c-6590b0913ebf"
  8. I want to remove Cortana from my computer

in Cortana
    I want to remove Cortana from my computer: as above * Original title: I want to remove Cortana from my computer, don't give me advice or boring chit chat, just tell me how to remove this **** ****!...
  9. Remove cortana from start menu

in Cortana
    Remove cortana from start menu: Seeking for assist on removing cortana from start menu. Tried the method below 1) using registry set 0 value on “AllowCortana” to disable. 2) On desktop, right click to hide cortana None of the above, work to remove cortana from start menu. please assist....
  10. How to Remove an account from computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove an account from computer: There is a work email account that I used in the past but it is no longer valid (I am not merely not using it, the actual account is no longer valid; it was deleted by the domain owner). However, my computer keeps trying to login to this account, then gives me an error...