Windows 10: How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10

Discus and support How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I hide the the folders like Music, Downloads, Documents etc in My PC by editing registry and changing value of ThisPCPolicy from Show to Hide into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ali Dhillon, Dec 30, 2018.

1. How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10

I hide the the folders like Music, Downloads, Documents etc in My PC by editing registry and changing value of ThisPCPolicy from Show to Hide into the following registry entries of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}\PropertyBag as mentioned in the following guide.

How to remove the Folders from This PC in Windows 10
    All these folders got hidden and then I wanted to get them back then as it was mentioned in this guide I changed them back to Show but all folders which were hidden start showing double. Now each folder has one duplicate with same name as shown in this screenshot. And now I have changed the value to Hide again but nothing changed or hide. How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10 b378aec5-6f54-463e-9143-a5c90ca9b359?upload=true.png

:)

Ali Dhillon, Dec 30, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 30, 2018
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Dec 30, 2018
  4. enso Win User

How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10

1. How to remove duplicate Folders from This PC in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - remove duplicate Folders

2. How to remove duplicate folders from SharePoint sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove duplicate folders from SharePoint sync: When sync'ing with SharePoint the sync starts normally.However, over time our staff are find sync Folder 1 and sync Folder 2 are appearing.I can replicate this in SharePoint sync by stopping the sync and starting again and answering NO when asked to use the existing...
  3. How to remove duplicate folders from SharePoint sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove duplicate folders from SharePoint sync: When sync'ing with SharePoint the sync starts normally.However, over time our staff are find sync Folder 1 and sync Folder 2 are appearing.I can replicate this in SharePoint sync by stopping the sync and starting again and answering NO when asked to use the existing...
  4. How to remove duplicate folders from SharePoint sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Duplicate Folders in This PC Windows 10

Duplicate Folders in This PC Windows 10: I started to notice that there is duplicate folders on the 'This PC' file. The properties of those duplicate folders shown nothing and nothing happen when I double click on them. Not sure exactly when did this happen. Ran sfc/scannow and no integrity violation was discovered....
  6. How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC"

How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC": Hi Team, Good day. In my PC there are some duplicate System Folders created automatically [ATTACH] I have tried to make changes in registry "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" but no use. Kindly advise....
  7. REMOVING DUPLICATE FILES/FOLDERS USING WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    REMOVING DUPLICATE FILES/FOLDERS USING WINDOWS 10: Hi, I'm back. My laptop is running slow at times. It takes a minute to boot up and it'll freeze up at times on a webpage. When I try to close the page it doesn't close immediately. I would have to click the "X" several times but it closes. I know I have duplicate...
  8. How to remove duplicate Folders from My PC in Windows 10

How to remove duplicate Folders from My PC in Windows 10: I hide the the folders like Music, Downloads, Documents etc in My PC by editing registry and changing value of ThisPCPolicy from Show to Hide into the following registry entries of...
  9. How to remove duplicate videos on windows 10

How to remove duplicate videos on windows 10: HI I am trying to clean up my windows 10 pc and wondered how to find and remove duplicate videos. I have Duplicate Sweeper but I can only go into one file at a time. Thanks...
  10. how to remove empty folders and duplicate icons from control panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to remove empty folders and duplicate icons from control panel: I have a duplicate icon (Desktop Gadgets) that I would like to physically remove (not just hide) from the control panel, together with three empty folders (Windows Update, Performance Information and Tools, Biometrics). The icon is not a .cpl file, but an .exe file. 93846