Windows 10: How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

Discus and support How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; No, it does not affect files. After you click Next, there is an option to scan for affected programs. However, it may not remove any other malware you... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hput3, Feb 17, 2018.

1. hput3 Win User

How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

I did finally do restore to a point well back (Feb 6). Had a heck of a time with it. Failed several times. finally followed advice I saw googling that said do it from Safe Mode. So ended up making a restore from well before (7-8 days roughly)... the ad appeared.... Breathed a sigh of relief, only to see the damn thing pop up after about 1/2 hr or 45 min.
    I believe this ad is a bit smarter than I am. If it were installed in a normal place, that `restore' should have handled it.
    I'm pretty sure now that I acquired it by installing winamp ( uninstalled several days ago)... I checked online to see what sources winamp is available from. They all appear to be softonic related. Remember my malware says `en.softonic.com' on it.

So to summarize; I uninstalled the application I suspect the malware came with (winamp) then made a restore to well before winamp was installed. But my ad survived all that. It must be stashing itself out of the line of fire of a restore.

NOTE: New information that may help solve this:
    I may have solved this... time will tell: I've noticed a `settings' Icon on the ad. Haven't wanted to click it for fear of further infecting things. I finally did click the settings icon on the en.softonic.com ad, it opened a`settings' area of my chrome browser to something where you can set which sites to block and which to deny. I added softonic.com to the `denied' sites. Turned the ad off manually and am now waiting to see if it still comes back

hput3, Feb 19, 2018
  2. hput3 Win User

Thank you sir for thoroughly explaining this... I already added another post since you posted this excellent response. I didn't look thorougly for responses... and missed it entirely ... please ignore the post I just minutes ago sent in.

I found the proper way to do this by braving up and clicking on the `settings' button icon on the en.softonic.com ad (Or notification as you call them). I had feared clicking it thinking it might further infect things... but once I clicked the icon it opened chrome to the proper place you explained in your post, and I saw softonic listed in the `allow' sites area.

Now I understand what and how has happened I have made the proper settings to prevent it.

Thanks again for your very informative and helpful post. I guess I can quit huffing and puffing now . . . .

One question: I noticed several sites in the `block' area that looke like this:

example.com:443

I can see it blocks the site on port 443 but then can I assume that leaves other ports a site can use, is that correct? Can you fill me on why 443 specifically is blocked.. is that the only port such things are allowed on?

hput3, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    This may help explain that...

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...ake-use-of-it/

Thema:

How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

1. How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically - Similar Threads - remove softonic malware

2. How to remove malware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove malware?: I recently downloaded an exe file and i am pretty sure i have a virus or malware on my pc now, every time i open my pc now i notice that the temperature is high for no reason and its sounds louder. The first thing i did is try to download an antivirus but every time i tried...
  3. How to remove malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove malware?: I recently downloaded an exe file and i am pretty sure i have a virus or malware on my pc now, every time i open my pc now i notice that the temperature is high for no reason and its sounds louder. The first thing i did is try to download an antivirus but every time i tried...
  4. How to remove this malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove this malware?: For the past couple of days i keep getting this .exe file which is flagged as Trojan:win32/Tigrre!rfni did defender offline scan as well as try to delete it while booted on safemode with network, as well as manually removing it, quarantine and delete, but to no avail...
  5. How to remove NEW Malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove NEW Malware?: Appears to be a 32 bit app for Net-meeting app last seen on XP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-new-malware/32c0468f-c502-4663-9937-edc5b730cbbd
  6. How to remove OneDrive malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove OneDrive malware: Hello, I am wondering how to permanently remove the malware known as OneDrive and all traces of it from my machine. Even after unlinking my device, deleting every file associated with the program, and editing registry keys, I still am forced to have OneDrive as a default...
  7. How to get rid of Softonic pop ups

in Browsers and Email
    How to get rid of Softonic pop ups: I have Win 10 and have spent much time searching how to get rid of Softonic popups. I don't think there's any way to do it. Best I can tell, Softonics comes from Microsoft and is loaded into Microsoft Edge. And from there it invades all browsers. Even though I don't use Edge,...
  8. how to remove softonic

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to remove softonic: how can I remove softonic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-softonic/def4cdca-4334-43fc-b195-a0d25be692bc
  9. How to Remove Malware?

How to Remove Malware?: How do I delete malware in my system for pop-up with error code XLMR01F7985 [Original Title: Malware] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-remove-malware/d95f7517-97c9-43c4-bcc4-a5cce3a56ca7
  10. bingprovidedseach - how remove the malware

bingprovidedseach - how remove the malware: how remove the malware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/bingprovidedseach/6d74639d-b879-48ec-9a97-af00a94f1b06