Windows 10: How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

Discus and support How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hput3, Feb 17, 2018.

1. hput3 Win User

How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I turn it off (clicking the corner X). It comes back again some time later but with different content.

I haven't timed it but seems lake maybe a 1/2 hr.

I've googled extensively but all the instructions I've found, tell you to use the windows uninstaller to uninstall softonic. And maybe some manual clean up after the uninstall. But there is nothing installed with `softonic' in its name and even when the ad is running there is no process running with softonic in its name.

All the google hits appear to assume the windows uninstaller will know about softonic. Even the manual parts of some of the hits appear to assume you have been successful in unintalling it.

The instructions also suggest several free malware removal products and claim any of them will remove it.
    `Zema Anti-malware', `MalwareBytes' and `AdwCleaner'

I tried all those listed in one of the instruction sets, ran the scan but none of them found whatever is running the little softonic pop up ad.

This type of malware apparently falls into a category called a `PUP'.

I never found in the google hits what expected would be there somewhere. A list of steps to remove something like this by hand.

Can anyone here advise me?

:)

hput3, Feb 17, 2018

2. how to remove banner that constantly appears "Malwae has been detected and Defender is removing it"?

Manually update Defender Defs to v1.243.229.0 (or higher) & test.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 17, 2018
  3. how to remove banner that constantly appears "Malwae has been detected and Defender is removing it"?

how to remove repetitive notice that appears with ring "Malware has been detected and Defender is removing it"?

SyLevensteinXB, Feb 17, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

5. hput3 Win User
    Tried it again on your sayso. See the results in image one, and the pesky pop up (PUP) in image two

How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically [​IMG]

Bottom Right corner of Desktop

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  6. What did you download and install from softonic? Also look carefully in your list of installed programmes, it may not be named Softonic at all, check all dates of when programmes were installed and work from there.

Brightblessings, Feb 17, 2018
  7. hput3 Win User
    I installed nothing from softonic. The one thing I installed close to when the ad started popping was the new winamp or maybe its the same one but back on the market.

So, I uninstalled winamp... several days ago, the popper is still here.

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  8. How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

look through your installed programmes and see if anything else was installed the same day as you installed winamp

Brightblessings, Feb 17, 2018
  9. hput3 Win User
    As I mentioned ... winamp was only thing close.

Next closest ...4 days earlier would have been Adobe Acrobat DC ... which was really an update done by my subscription to adobe cloud installer tool .. It installs a suite of Adobe tools and keeps them updated.

It seems downright unlikely for that to be the source... I've been working with adobe for several yrs.... never got unwanted junk from them.

Is there no other way to proceed?
    I did do a registry search for the string softonic... during the last 20 minutes .. no hits.

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  10. torre Win User
    System Restore Windows 10

Consider a System Restore .

If not, reset your browsers, manually check the registry (regedit) for suspect entries and delete, disable any addons to see if any effect. Run AdwCleaner again.

torre, Feb 17, 2018
  11. hput3 Win User
    My thoughts too, but wanted to hear from experienced folks ... I just assumed someone would know how to track this down or have had the same problem and got a solution not involving a system restore.

Incidentally; When a system restore is done do things actually get removed similar to a restore from a previous Image like an image backup taken with something like acronis?

As an example, if you had downloaded something, but not installed it... so its setting in `Downloads'. Would that file be gone after a system restore

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  12. torre Win User
    No, it does not affect files. After you click Next, there is an option to scan for affected programs. However, it may not remove any other malware you may have, just the PUP.

How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically [​IMG]

torre, Feb 17, 2018
  13. Softonic Win User

Hello!

This small advertisements that pop up in the bottom right on your desktop are called a web notifications. You have probably given accidentally permission to our website .com to send you these kind of notifications. Depending on the browser you use you can easily disable them.

You haven't installed (as there is no such thing) and from your description, this isn't malware either.

So, here's how you can disable the notifications:
    Google Chrome (laptop)

To disable Chrome notifications, copy this address chrome://settings/content/notifications and paste it in your browser. This way, you’ll go straight to the “Notifications” section of Chrome Settings.

If you want to stop receiving permission requests for notifications, disable the “Ask before sending (recommended)” option to “Block all.”
    Want to block notifications for a specific website? You’ll see that you’ve got two options: “Block” and “Allow.” Under “Allow,” look for the web page you want to stop receiving notifications for, click on the three vertical dots beside it and then select “Block.” It’s that easy!
    Google Chrome (cell phone)

Go to “Settings” (by tapping on the three vertical dots in the top right). Press “Web page settings” and then “Notifications.”
    If you want to stop receiving permission requests for notifications, disable the “Ask before allowing websites to send notifications (recommended)” option to “Blocked.”
    Want to disable specific notifications? Below, you’ll have two options: allowed and blocked notifications. Select one that is allowed and then the “Notifications” option to block it. Easy peasy.
    Mozilla Firefox (laptop)

To disable notifications on Firefox, copy this address about*Tonguereferences#content and paste it in your browser to access the “Content” section of Firefox Options. Here you’ll see the “Notifications” subsection.
    If you want to stop receiving so many permission requests for notifications and notifications themselves, enable the “Do not disturb me” option.
    Want to block notifications for a specific web page? Click on “Select.” A list with all the notifications you’ve allowed or blocked to date will show up. Look for the website you no longer want to receive notifications from and select “Remove site.”
    When you go to that page again, it will once again ask for permission to send you notifications (unless you’ve enabled the “Do not disturb me” option). Select that you don’t want to receive notifications. Case closed.
    Unfortunately, there’s no easier way to block specific notifications on Firefox.
    Mozilla Firefox (cell phone)

For now, there’s only one very basic way to disable notifications for this version of Firefox. You must go to the page that you want to disable notifications for and click on the Control Center (the green lock to the left of the URL).

Then select “Edit site settings.” Tap the white square to “check” it and then press “Clear.” This way, the website will stop sending you notifications unless you go back and give it permission.
    Apple Safari

To stop receiving notifications for a web page, go to “Preferences” and then click on “Notifications.” Look for the website on the list and select “Block.”
    If you want to stop receiving permission requests for notifications, don’t leave the “Notifications” section; simply uncheck the box “Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications.”

If none of these solutions work please send us a short email at L: support@support..com and we'll help you.

Softonic, Feb 19, 2018
  14. essenbe Win User
    No one can "accidentally" give you permission. Granting permission is a specific action someone takes, knowingly and intentionally.
    I think the real question is why should we have to go through all of that to remove something we didn't ask for in the first place? It is Malware and unethical for you to embed it to begin with.

essenbe, Feb 19, 2018
  15. Softonic Win User
    In order for a user to receive web notification, the user has to opt-in for them. There is no way for any website to sign up a user without his permission. If you have any concerns about the topic please let us know.

Softonic, Feb 19, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically - Similar Threads - remove softonic malware

2. How to remove malware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove malware?: I recently downloaded an exe file and i am pretty sure i have a virus or malware on my pc now, every time i open my pc now i notice that the temperature is high for no reason and its sounds louder. The first thing i did is try to download an antivirus but every time i tried...
  3. How to remove malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove malware?: I recently downloaded an exe file and i am pretty sure i have a virus or malware on my pc now, every time i open my pc now i notice that the temperature is high for no reason and its sounds louder. The first thing i did is try to download an antivirus but every time i tried...
  4. How to remove this malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove this malware?: For the past couple of days i keep getting this .exe file which is flagged as Trojan:win32/Tigrre!rfni did defender offline scan as well as try to delete it while booted on safemode with network, as well as manually removing it, quarantine and delete, but to no avail...
  5. How to remove NEW Malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove NEW Malware?: Appears to be a 32 bit app for Net-meeting app last seen on XP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-new-malware/32c0468f-c502-4663-9937-edc5b730cbbd
  6. How to remove OneDrive malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove OneDrive malware: Hello, I am wondering how to permanently remove the malware known as OneDrive and all traces of it from my machine. Even after unlinking my device, deleting every file associated with the program, and editing registry keys, I still am forced to have OneDrive as a default...
  7. How to get rid of Softonic pop ups

in Browsers and Email
    How to get rid of Softonic pop ups: I have Win 10 and have spent much time searching how to get rid of Softonic popups. I don't think there's any way to do it. Best I can tell, Softonics comes from Microsoft and is loaded into Microsoft Edge. And from there it invades all browsers. Even though I don't use Edge,...
  8. how to remove softonic

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to remove softonic: how can I remove softonic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-softonic/def4cdca-4334-43fc-b195-a0d25be692bc
  9. How to Remove Malware?

How to Remove Malware?: How do I delete malware in my system for pop-up with error code XLMR01F7985 [Original Title: Malware] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-remove-malware/d95f7517-97c9-43c4-bcc4-a5cce3a56ca7
  10. bingprovidedseach - how remove the malware

bingprovidedseach - how remove the malware: how remove the malware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/bingprovidedseach/6d74639d-b879-48ec-9a97-af00a94f1b06

Users found this page by searching for:

1. en.softnic com

2. softonic free removal

3. delete softonic

4. en.softnic com how to remove,
  5. remove softonic windows 10,
  6. en.softonic uninstall