Windows 10: How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop

Discus and support How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below. It cant be archived or move to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jobinelv, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jobinelv Win User

How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop

Hi,
    i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below.
    It cant be archived or move to recycle bin or other folder, but can only be pin to Quick Access in explorer. Tried to delete from cmd prompt but not showing in folder list of hidden or system file. checked Disk for errors no problem found.

Dropbox - scrnshot1.png

Any idea to remove, such as registry tweaks. Thanks in advance.

:)

jobinelv, Oct 24, 2015
  2. B.J. Monaco, Oct 24, 2015
  3. wmcole Win User
    How to Remove Windows Update Ghost Folder

EF Commander (64-bit, latest version, licensed; Running it as trial or freeware should work as well AFAIK, the only difference are the "Unllicensed" screens that pop up when used without a license).

But I think the key that let EF Commander "in" to LocalState.. was finding the unknown security principal in the folders above it and removing them from the folders' Properties->Security tab.

wmcole, Oct 24, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, normally you would proceed as follows:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...ers-in-windows

but apparently this folder has no name...
    Do you get an error msg when you try to delete it?

When you are looking at this from a command prompt, given it apparently has no name, can you find an entry that corresponds to it? Please post a screenshot of running DIR on both
    C:\Users\Public\Desktop
    and your user desktop folder

Please mark all the folders you recognise.

Also try with a live boot CD as suggested here:
    Cant Delete Ghost Folder - Microsoft Community

dalchina, Oct 24, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    Try right clicking and delete after installing Unlocker 1.9.2

Almighty1, Oct 25, 2015
  6. jobinelv Win User
    thanks 'dalchina' for reply.

Dropbox - Screenshot 2015-10-28 10.39.12.png

Above link has screenshot of list of files/folder on my desktop from cmdline. I see nothing unusual.
    On right clicking folder icon it show only 'Pin to Quick access'/'start menu' option only. no delete option (see previous scrnshot).
    I never user live/boot cds in my system.

jobinelv, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop - Similar Threads - remove 'ghost' folder

2. How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to safely remove user folder from desktop?: Hello,I've recently upgraded my graphics card GTX 2080 to a 3070 after my last one died. I've now noticed that there is a folder with my name on it sitting on my desktop. When I open it up, it holds all the same files that my user file does on my C drive. If I go to my users...
  3. How to remove default folders from desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove default folders from desktop?: Hello guys,last week I bought this laptop, since I turned it on I saw these folders thereI've been trying to look for videos related but I haven't find anythingcan you help me please ?I would like to remove them from my desktop, they are not shortcutsthe home, desktop,...
  4. How to remove default folders from desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove default folders from desktop?: Hello guys,last week I bought this laptop, since I turned it on I saw these folders thereI've been trying to look for videos related but I haven't find anythingcan you help me please ?I would like to remove them from my desktop, they are not shortcutsthe home, desktop,...
  5. How to remove a user folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove a user folder from desktop: Hello,After updating my windows to the newest version, a desktop icon was created with the folder which is normally found in C:\UsersThis folder cannot be manually deleted. How can I remove it? Note that the same folder is also found in C:\Users but the one in desktop is not...
  6. How to remove a user folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder from desktop: Hello,After updating my windows to the newest version, a desktop icon was created with the folder which is normally found in C:\UsersThis folder cannot be manually deleted. How can I remove it? Note that the same folder is also found in C:\Users but the one in desktop is not...
  7. How to remove folders from desktop (background)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove folders from desktop (background): For some reason there is a folder on the background when before it was just by browser. I tried to delete it but it got rid of the folder all together and not just removing it from the background. Anyway to fix this? Sorry I don't know the terminology submitted by...
  8. How to remove folders from desktop (background)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove folders from desktop (background): For some reason there is a folder on the background when before it was just by browser. I tried to delete it but it got rid of the folder all together and not just removing it from the background. Anyway to fix this? Sorry I don't know the terminology submitted by...
  9. how to remove ghost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove ghost files: How to remove ghost files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-ghost-files/deed41af-e095-4914-8385-ca498e4e517d
  10. Undelatable, Unnamed Ghost Folders on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Undelatable, Unnamed Ghost Folders on Desktop: So, these appeared on my desktop randomly - they cannot be renamed, they appear to have no name - I can delete them via context menu, but they come back. Unlocker/Lock Hunter - they do not see them, neither does Explorer, WinRAR nor CMD. The context menu on them is strange...