Windows 10: How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?

Discus and support How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/XTroyZe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnavxb/how_to_remove_grub_after_installing_linux_to/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/XTroyZe, May 20, 2020.

1. How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?

/u/XTroyZe, May 20, 2020
  2. dadi_oh Win User

Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

By "windows" you mean Microsoft Windows? I am not doing a dual boot. My intention is to run Linux only on this machine. I was thinking that the installation was going to set aside the entire hard drive for Linux.

dadi_oh, May 20, 2020
  3. xfire Win User
    remove linux and reinstall vista ultimate

Ubuntu=Live CD->7 installation steps where partitioning is done automaticall.
    Windows= Many steps+ selecting the drive to instal to.

and the part where you said you should never make linux your sole OS angered me.
    Also, you can install windows over linux and then put grub back to make it dual boot. Just use gparted to resize the drive. Then install windows on the new partition. Use super grub disk to restore grub.

xfire, May 20, 2020
  4. dadi_oh Win User

How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?

Linux Noob - Ubuntu fails on install GRUB error 2

I have a spare machine that I put together with parts I had laying around to try out Linux. Here are the parts:

ASUS P5K-SE P35 based mobo
    E1200 CPU (Celeron C2D with measly 512K cache *Smile How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive? :)
    512MB DDR2 667MHz
    EVGA 7900GT video card
    Maxtor 80GB PATA drive
    Antec 450W power supply

Basic stuff but from what I understand Linux is not as demanding on HW as Windows.

So I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu 64 bit from their site version 8.04 as an ISO file (ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso), made up an installation CD, and booted up into the install program. The install program detects the hard drive and I tell it to use the whole partition for Linux since I have no plans for dual boot. It makes it's way through the whole installation and then asks to reboot.

Once the machine posts it tries to boot from the hard drive and gets the following message

GRUB Loading stage 1.5
    GRUB Loading, please wait...
    Error 2

From doing a little searching it seems likely that the issue is with accessing the PATA drive. One of the poroposed solutions was to change the UDMA access mode in BIOS to something the drive does not support, thus forcing GRUB to read the drive and pick a mode that it does support. The problem is, this motherboard is really designed for SATA drives and the IDE (PATA) interface does not have the typical settings I am used to in the BIOS. Basically I can go to "integrated devices" memory and enable or disable the controller but nothing about changing interface details.

One of the other suggestions was to use LILO (sp?) rather than GRUB but I am not sure how to do that from the installation. The installation seems to be designed for new users.

It seems rather weird that it detects the drive well enough to install the whole operating system and then fails to boot from it... Not a good start to my Linux experience :shadedshu

Any suggestions?

dadi_oh, May 20, 2020
Thema:

How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?

1. How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive? - Similar Threads - remove GRUB installing

2. Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX: Actually I was using dual boot which was pre loaded in my HP laptop but I never used LINUX and deleted it and merge partition to windows 10 after that I restarted my laptop it shows grub screen.I have spent about 2 days in Google YouTube but getting same codes ie. Set boot...
  3. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing partitions on External Hard Drive: I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk Management I see: Disk 1 Basic 931.50GB Online 260MB Healthy EFI System Partition New Volume E: 919.48 GB NTFS...
  4. How to Remove Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Remove Grub Bootloader: I can't figure out how to remove Grub from my Windows installation. I at one time had a dual boot with Ubuntu but have since completely removed BOTH OS's and started over. I just updated Windows, and to my surprise the first boot screen I encountered was Grub. I tried...
  5. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  6. Grub rescue, partitioning, installer not finding hard drives.

Grub rescue, partitioning, installer not finding hard drives.: Hard drive issues, Windows 10 not recognizing hard drives, grub rescue, please help! Build: i7-8700k EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Samsung SSD 860 EVO - 500 Gb Western Digital HDD - 1TB Okay, so this is long but I would like to provide context. To begin: I partitioned my hard...
  7. How to install Windows on an external hard drive?

How to install Windows on an external hard drive?: My computer is being fixed right now, but I bought a fancy new SSD for it and would like to go ahead with installing windows 10 in it. I have a pen drive with windows' iso in it, a computer with two USB ports, and a case where I can put my SSD. Now, how do I use all these...
  8. Removing partitions on external hard drives?

Removing partitions on external hard drives?: I have several laptop hard drives that I access on my desktop PC via a usb hub, I have managed to format them and they work perfectly. My problem is that 2 of these hard drives have 2 partitions which I have also formatted, but the partitions show up as separate drives in...
  9. External hard drive installation

External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  10. Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?

Will reformatting hard drive remove Linux OS ?: I have installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1 on another pc to try and i cannot remove it to re-install Windows 10 back on...i have tried altering BIOS Boot order by putting USB bootable Windows 10 flash drive but there is no option there for USB.. i tried creating a bootable 4.7 Gb...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to remove grub from windows os on external hdd