Windows 10: How to remove grub2 and get back to windows manager in MBR wndows 10

Discus and support How to remove grub2 and get back to windows manager in MBR wndows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Following Ubuntu Ugh! instructions precisely it installed version 16.04.1 on a flash drive (kind of) but butchered my MBR and apparently dropped GRUB2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by windex, Oct 18, 2016.

1. windex Win User

How to remove grub2 and get back to windows manager in MBR wndows 10

Following Ubuntu Ugh! instructions precisely it installed version 16.04.1 on a flash drive (kind of) but butchered my MBR and apparently dropped GRUB2 there.
    I get several suggestions to fix this:
    1) fdisk /mbr
    2) fixdsk /mbr
    Do these require using an install disk as I only have an image backup. I can boot into windows 10 OK via grub2. Can I use either 1) or 2) from Windows 10 in Command (admin) window directly? I don't want the bother of using grub to boot, which.was the purpose of creating a flash drive to boot from.
    Do I have other options without an install disk?

:)

windex, Oct 18, 2016
  2. RMDEQ Win User

Can Windows Boot Manager boot Linux in UEFI system with GPT M.2 disk?

There are other boot managers, but I like Windows Boot Manager and boot to Windows 10 most of the time. Back when I had a BIOS system with a MBR SSD, dual boot was as easy as EasyBCD. Note that I have and want true GPT, not the hybrid kind-of-have-an-MBR
    on a GPT disk.

After a lot of work, I got Windows 10 to boot on this system with just copying partitions and not a clean install. But, the Linux partition right now is just a copy of what was on the SSD. I can't boot to it, although I might if I chose to use rEFInd or
    GRUB2 as a boot manager. All the Linux advice I can find predates Windows 10 and says Windows Boot Manager can't do this on GPT drives. I'm looking for an answer from 2016.

For the sake of this question assume Secure Boot and Fast Boot are non issues. If it matters, my preferred Linux distro is Ubuntu 14.04. My processor is from the Skylake family: i7-6700.

RMDEQ, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Jess Can Win User
    how to get my data back and also how to remove these unwanted add from chrome?

Hi Raj,

There are really a possibility that other third party software would cause issues with Windows or its components. At this point the best course of action would be to do scan and clean your computer of any viruses. We recommend running the
    Malware removal tool.

We will look forward to hearing back from you regarding this concern.

Jess Can, Oct 18, 2016
  4. pcgeek11 Win User

pcgeek11, Oct 19, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    Easiest would be the fixboot option in Macrium or EasyBCD... then from command prompt... bcdboot %windir% (to get the blue boot menu.)

Running Linux Live does not install anything unless you expressly click the install icon on the desktop.

Superfly, Oct 19, 2016
  6. jpolacko Win User
    Those command's wont work unless you have have a windows repair disk or a usb disk with windows setup. Macrium always worked for me though. When you remove grub2 you will not be able to boot into Ubuntu.

jpolacko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove grub2 and get back to windows manager in MBR wndows 10 - Similar Threads - remove grub2 manager

2. Removed conhost,how to get it back

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Removed conhost,how to get it back: I removed conhost due to 2 conhost's being open at the same time thinking that it was a criptominer due to its priority being set to below normal and have heard that is a sign its a criptominer,what do i do to get it back?...
  3. Removed conhost,how to get it back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed conhost,how to get it back: I removed conhost due to 2 conhost's being open at the same time thinking that it was a criptominer due to its priority being set to below normal and have heard that is a sign its a criptominer,what do i do to get it back?...
  4. Removed conhost,how to get it back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get back removed account perms

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get back removed account perms: Don't ask why but I removed all my permissions and system permission from my account folder and now I don't have access to my account so I must use a temporary account. Unfortunately I don't have admins permissions on the p.c. I also don't have the bitlocker key to the...
  6. How to get back removed account perms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back removed account perms: Don't ask why but I removed all my permissions and system permission from my account folder and now I don't have access to my account so I must use a temporary account. Unfortunately I don't have admins permissions on the p.c. I also don't have the bitlocker key to the...
  7. How to get back removed account perms

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Remove MBR partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove MBR partitions: I have a 10 TB hard drive installed on my computer strictly for back up and long term storage. Unfortunately I am only able to access 2TB because of a MBR partition the rest of the drive remains unallocated. How do I remove this partition so that I may have access to the...
  9. Windows 10 not booting using Grub2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting using Grub2: Recently I decided to partition my laptop so that I could have two operating systems on it, those systems being Windows 10 and Debian 9 (this is mainly for work). Everything was ok with the install of Debian, however, when I wanted to switch back to Windows, it didn't work....
  10. How to go back to orginal boot MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    How to go back to orginal boot MBR: I took a look at EasyBCD and played with it enough to use it's boot menu. Big mistake. How can I rid of the BCD stuff added and go back to the original boot menu (MBR?). They apparently do not visit their forum or no one knows how to do this. OH yeah, I learned that an backup...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. grub2 get back to windows