Windows 10: How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop?

Discus and support How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had set the password on my internal harddisk few months back. Now I want to remove it but could not do so. When I enter the bios, the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 20, 2017.

1. How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop?

I had set the password on my internal harddisk few months back. Now I want to remove it but could not do so. When I enter the bios, the following parameters are seen under Security, Password:-
    1 Administrator Password - Set
    2 User Passord - Set
    3 HDD Password - Set

Set User Passord
    Set Hard Disk Password
    Change Master Password
    Change User Password

I know my password and it accepts it. I can only select two parameters: 1 Set User Password and 2 Change User Password.
    All other parameters are not selectable.
    When I boot my laptop it asks for HDD password. I have the password and it takes the password . I can use my laptop but when I want to remove it from Bios- Security - Password - it does not get removed.
    Please help me remove the hard disk password.
    aria

:)

Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 20, 2017
  2. John W [MSFT], Nov 20, 2017
  3. Microphone doesn't work after upgrading to Windows 10

Yes it is a Lenovo G50-70

QuentinEgan, Nov 20, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop?

Try this - it worked for me on Lenovo X201.

Solved: Can't remove HDD password - Lenovo Community

5. Thanks for prompt response Mr lx07. I will try this tomorrow. By the way, could you please explain what is passphrase setting? Is it in Bios - Security - Password? I will wait for your answer and then proceed to solve this problem as per your suggestion.
    Thanks in advance
    Ashok

Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 20, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    The passphrase setting is in the BIOS and defines whether the password is encrypted before being passed to the disk controller (to stop dictionary attacks).

I'm not 100% sure the G50 has it but X201 and most other Thinkpads do. It is certainly worth a look anyway.

7. Dear Mr lx07,
    I had tried as per your suggestion today- taken out hard disk and logged into into bios. Since hdd was removed - the system did not ask for hdd password this time, instead it asked for system password. In my case system pw and hdd pw both are same. I remember all the passwords and after typing down the pw - I logged into the bios and there I could only navigate to " Set User Password" which I did.
    My user password, master password, hdd password & administrative pw all are same.
    The problem is I can only navigate to the following two options after hdd refit:
    1 Set User Password
    2 Change User Password

All other options in Bios cannot be navigated. The print screen shows that the administrative password and user password is not set. And Master password has Change option but I cannot navigate to the same. When I remove hdd - I get only 3 options - viz 1 administrative 2 User Password and 3 set user password. Out of these 3 I can only access " set user Password"
    I do hope you could help me further on this matter. 2 print screens are attached herewith.
    Please help.
    aria

Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 21, 2017
  8. How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop?

My assumption is if I could enter into bios with either Master Password or Administrative Password - I could navigate to other options as well and change password to " None" but I do not know how to enter Bios with Administrative Password. With Novo key pressed once, I get the next screen and on that screen I choose- my option as "Bios" and enter. On the second screen I am asked to type hdd password and after entering hdd password , I am on the 3rd screen asking me to enter system password- which I do and the next screen is BIOS. Therefore it nowhere ask me to enter administrative password.
    If you could help me here.

Ashok Kumar Bag, Nov 21, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    You could flash your BIOS - that should remove the BIOS passwords. It definitely will not remove the disk password as that is stored in the firmware on the HDD.

Note I didn't try that. I simply removed the disk and then I could change Passphrase setting. If you have other passwords set then (when the disk is removed) you should remove them too.

Sorry I can't help more - I do have a Thinkpad but a different model. According to the link above all are affected (except T60) but perhaps someone with a G50 will help.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop?

1. How to remove harddisk password in Lenovo G50-70 laptop? - Similar Threads - remove harddisk password

2. Lenovo G50 45

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo G50 45: My dads Lenovo G50 45 has been offlined make this thing online until my device will be online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-g50-45/dd9ab5a2-ed4c-470a-9845-59469edcfb6b
  3. Lenovo G50 45

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo G50 45: My dads Lenovo G50 45 has been offlined make this thing online until my device will be online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-g50-45/dd9ab5a2-ed4c-470a-9845-59469edcfb6b
  4. Lenovo G50 45

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 on a Lenovo G50-45 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 on a Lenovo G50-45 Laptop?: I have a (rather crappy) Lenovo G50-45 80E3 laptop with the following specs: Processor and Graphics: AMD E1-6010 (1.35 GHz) with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics RAM: 4 GB (might update to 8 GB soon) HDD: 500 GB I'm currently running Windows 8.1 (with Open-Shell and a few other...
  6. windows 10 version 2004 for lenovo G50-70

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 version 2004 for lenovo G50-70: hello I am using lenovo G50-70 laptop , I would like too know is windows 10 version 2004 rolled out for my laptop and if not when can I expect it to be rolled out please let me know thank you....
  7. Lenovo Laptop G50 unable to print

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Laptop G50 unable to print: My Lenovo laptop G50 will not print after the last Windows 10 update. I cannot figure out a fix. I have tried to print on three different printers that were all working before the update....
  8. Lenovo G50-70 laptop 'plugged in, not charging'

Lenovo G50-70 laptop 'plugged in, not charging': I have Lenovo G50-70 laptop. I have windows 10 Pro installed on it. A couples weeks back the laptop stopped recognizing its ac adapter. The laptop would charge when shutdown but not when using it. It would say 'plugged in, not charging'. I tried removing the battery and...
  9. Not getting updates on my Lenovo Laptop G50-70

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not getting updates on my Lenovo Laptop G50-70: I have not got any updates since 6th Nov on my Laptop having Windows 10 home 10240 single language upgraded from Windows 8.1 over the air. Most of the updates on 06.11.2015 failed to install. Also no notification for new version 1511 10586 as yet. Please help Ashok 30608
  10. Disable/Removal of Administrative Password from Bios in Lenovo G50 70

Disable/Removal of Administrative Password from Bios in Lenovo G50 70: I know my Bios administrative/System and Hard disk password. But when I want to remove them I just cannot do so. When I boot my Laptop it asks me for Hard disk Password which I have and can easily log into my Windows 10 SL. But When I want to enter my BIOS, it asks me two...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. y50 lenovo hdd password not working