Windows 10: How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?

Discus and support How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've had this version of Windows installed for a few years now, I can't remember it being installed but I'm pretty sure one of my friends did it using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Automaton94, Sep 6, 2020.

1. How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?

I've had this version of Windows installed for a few years now, I can't remember it being installed but I'm pretty sure one of my friends did it using a cracked version of Windows. I'd like to use the "free" legit version of Windows for a while, before purchasing a full license.

Upon installing Windows on a completely fresh, new SSD without other drives in the system from a legit windows installation media USB tool created on a legit Windows system, as soon as this new Windows installation connects to the internet it says that this version of Windows is activated. It does this even if I install a "local only" version of windows not attached to a Microsoft account.

The only explanation I can think of is that the illegitimate version of Windows that I had installed on this system previously somehow embedded the product key into the UEFI/BIOS and essentially linked with my motherboard, so that whenever any new Windows installation on this motherboard connects to the internet it reads the UEFI/BIOS key and validates it.

How can I resolve this? I just want to use a legit version of Windows. Will I need to buy a legit product key and use the "change your product key" feature? Or will I somehow be able to use the free, deactivated version of Windows 10?

Thanks!

:)

Automaton94, Sep 6, 2020

2. Illegitimate license key

I bought a Windows 10 pro product key off of a website called G2Deal for an insanely cheap price that I couldn't pass up at the time. A friend who is more informed about these kinds of things said that the key is almost definitely an illegitimate one.

I apparently clicked yes on the setting that asked if I wanted to link my MS account with my Windows product key and would like to know how to remove the illegitimate product key from my MS account.

SamJones 99, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    EULA; UEFI; Product Keys and reverting....

When you install an OS, it looks for a License key in 3 places, or at least it did.

The first is embedded in the UEFI bios, the second a file on the install media and the third a manual entry.

Since Windows 10 will not be able to use a Window 8.1 License key, it will not use the one from the Bios, but just look to see if the OS in legally activated.

If you want to go back and reinstall Windows 8.1, it will still check the UEFI bios and find its key.

The Windows 10 activation process is going to be handled differently from prior OSes. You should not have a problem going back to 8.1 using your embedded key.

Saltgrass, Sep 6, 2020
  4. How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?

Replacing WIndows 10 embedded BIOS key in a Lenovo Thinkstation

I purchased a new ThinkStation desktop PC which came with WIndows 10 Pro. I want to downgrade it to WIndows 10 Home and have purchased the appropriate license and product key from the Microsoft Store. However, ever time I try to install Home to replace
    Pro, including FDISK and formatting the C drive the key embedded in the BIOS doesn't let me enter the Home product key and once the installation is complete I have Pro installed. Any suggestions on how to change out the BIOS embedded product key on a Lenovo?

GuyCavallo, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI?

1. How to remove illegitimate windows product key embedded in BIOS/UEFI? - Similar Threads - remove illegitimate product

2. How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?: My Asus laptop Hard Drive crashed. I had to replace it. I have the product key from BIOS. After installing a new SSD HD, I created a bootable disc with Windows 8.1 and installed it on the new HD. The product key I have which is on the motherboard and embedded in BIOS does not...
  3. How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?: My Asus laptop Hard Drive crashed. I had to replace it. I have the product key from BIOS. After installing a new SSD HD, I created a bootable disc with Windows 8.1 and installed it on the new HD. The product key I have which is on the motherboard and embedded in BIOS does not...
  4. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  5. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  6. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to "REMOVE" OEM product key from BIOS firmware of a laptop: I want to remove the original OEM product key from the BIOS as if this laptop came without any pre-installed OS. I have come across a program called RWeveryting which can read and write pretty much anywhere, where any sort of data could be written or read. Now I want to know...
  8. Illegitimate key

Illegitimate key: So I received a key for home and I used it to activate my pc. When I was activating it, it said to change to my organizations activation service. I pressed activate without thinking. How can I revert this mistake and get a legit windows 10 copy?...
  9. Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key: I will need to Upgrade my Windows 7 Pro to 10 soon! I installed Windows 7 Pro on this Windows 8 Standard machine years ago. Will I be able to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? Or will I have to somehow reinsert the Windows 7 Pro Product Key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? Or will I...
  10. Illegitimate license key

Illegitimate license key: I bought a Windows 10 pro product key off of a website called G2Deal for an insanely cheap price that I couldn't pass up at the time. A friend who is more informed about these kinds of things said that the key is almost definitely an illegitimate one. I apparently clicked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip