Windows 10: How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7)

Discus and support How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi TenForums Team!!! i have Dell Inpiron 3420 Laptop. Windows7 Home Basic was my built-in OS. Now i have upgraded it to Windows10 Home Edition. Now i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ifi, Sep 8, 2015.

1. IFI
    ifi Win User

How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7)

Hi TenForums Team!!!
    i have Dell Inpiron 3420 Laptop. Windows7 Home Basic was my built-in OS. Now i have upgraded it to Windows10 Home Edition. Now i have left less space in my C-drive. So i want to delete unused files, folders from C-drive. please guide me. and i also want to backup my windows10 too.

:)

2. G8rsfan Win User

old video card removed & uninstalled. Old video card still recognized

I uninstalled & removed my old video card preventing me from upgrading to Windows10. Mounted & installed software for windows10 compatible new video card. I then uninstalled Windows10 driver & ran Windows7 update for video card. Windows 10 upgrade still
    recognizes only old video card even though it was removed from comp & Program uninstalled. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

G8rsfan, Sep 8, 2015
  3. windows and windows.old

In my new windows10 laptop, my old computer's windows7 back up files have saved.

windows7 back up files is occupying about 13GB space.

suggest me how to delete window folder (windows7) and keep my window.old (windows10).

VadivelArumugam, Sep 8, 2015
  4. How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7)

There is a Windows_old folder on your C:, you can delete this - but then you have no option for 30 days to roll back to your Windows 7. Basically, after these 30 days a task is run to delete precisely this folder.

EDIT: You can always make a clean install of your Windows 7, should you want to go back.

Olivir2014, Sep 8, 2015
  5. IFI
    ifi Win User
    what will happen if I delete "window_old" folder now ? Screen shot also attached of C-drive.

6. Marron Win User
    Short answer is Disk Cleanup. You should NOT simply delete windows.old.

However, what I like to do is clean install.
    Just download microsoft's official upgrade tool: Windows 10
    Plug in your USB, run it, and select 'Create USB for other PC', or something similar, wait for usb to be created, boot from usb and do a clean install.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Do this after you successfully upgraded once, 'cause once a machine is activated on Windows 10 it'll stay activated after the clean install too, but if it wasn't activated before it won't activate with the clean install. And when you're required to enter keys, just skip (you'll be prompted 2 times).
    To check if your windows is activated, do 'slmgr /xpr' in cmd.

Marron, Sep 8, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    Good info and saving this to keep.. Thanks for all... Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Marron Win User

It got edited for additional info. Don't miss it. (your quote doesn't have the edit)

Marron, Sep 8, 2015
  9. IFI
    ifi Win User
    with clean install i will lost my registerd/activated windows. Actually, i have upgraded my Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 10 Home Edition. this windows 10 is activated as my windows 7 was. so my question is if i tried a clean install my windows will be activated or not ?? sorry for my weak english.

10. Marron Win User
    Yes, if you clean install after your Windows 10 was once activated, it will be activated after the clean install too. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time. Again. If you do a clean install on a machine that had Windows 10 activated on it, it will activate itself after the installation.

Now if you're wondering 'how', Microsoft takes the IDs of the machine's components and uses them to calculate a hash value. That's why Windows 10 is a 'hardware bound' upgrade. It'll work on that machine, it may not work if you change some parts of it. Now if you're using a laptop, you'll simply stay activated.

Windows 10 is an upgrade 'for the lifetime of the machine'. So if you do a clean install you won't lose your license.

Marron, Sep 8, 2015
  11. IFI
    ifi Win User
    Thank you Marron for your good behavior and support. i will mark as solved if it worked for me. and one more thing would you please guide me if i did a clean install with "windows 10 PRO" instead of "windows 10 HOME Edition" would it be activated or not as home edition was ?

12. Marron Win User
    If the version installed doesn't match with the version activated, it will not activate. If you have the Home Edition, you need to install the Home Edition. For more information about how the upgrade works you can check here:
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    Or more specially this part:

How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7) [​IMG]

Marron, Sep 8, 2015
  13. How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7)

Marron, I tried to do an in place repair. It failed due to the Modern Host problem. After the failed attempt I rebooted my machine forgetting to remove the USB drive. so the machine booted into the Windows install screen. I tried to carry on to see where it would take me. Even though I had successfully upgraded from W7 and am fully activated, per the settings panel, the install process asked me for the W10 key off my email receipt or the box. Of course, I don't have either. I couldn't continue with the install without the key. Any ideas?

Gator5000e, Sep 8, 2015
  14. Berton Win User
    The chart is handy to have but making it even handier would have been including the footnotes, 2, 3, 4 and 5, must be some impact on those items.

Berton, Sep 8, 2015
  15. Marron Win User
    Yeah. There is a skip button (down on the left, I think). When you are prompted to enter the key, just skip. But instead of 'skip', there may be a 'do this later'.

Now if you booted from the USB and don't want that, you can exit the installation by pressing Escape a number of times. Or simiply press the 'X' button on that window, and you'll be asked if you want to cancel the installation. Your machine should reboot normally. Now I don't really know what the 'repairs' are, or how the work, so I can't help there. Every time I had a major problem I did a clean install. It's so easy now with Windows 10 that I don't even bother to fix stuff (but can't really think of something that broke either). It takes 30 - 60 minutes to have everything up and running.

Marron, Sep 8, 2015
Thema:

1. How to remove old unused files from windows10 (upgraded from Windows7) - Similar Threads - remove old unused

2. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows7 upgrade Windows10: विंडो 7 को विंडो 10 में अपग्रेड कैसे करें https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows7-upgrade-windows10/f4718809-5ea1-4edb-be7e-19d2b2c98098
  3. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows7 upgrade Windows10: विंडो 7 को विंडो 10 में अपग्रेड कैसे करें https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows7-upgrade-windows10/f4718809-5ea1-4edb-be7e-19d2b2c98098
  4. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  6. Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10

Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10: Have very basic knowledge, though made this PC in 2010. Having failed twice to upgrade to Win10 through Media Creation Tool 21H, wherein I choose to upgrade the existing Win7 OS.and got failure message "......the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation"Hence...
  7. how to convert windows7 word files to windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to convert windows7 word files to windows10: how to convert windows7 word files to windows10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-windows7-word-files-to-windows10/6e8e8e78-c79e-4e7e-835a-17a7ae0d0ae5
  8. How to remove unused icons from search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove unused icons from search?: I uninstalled a lot of apps recently but for some reason the icons still remain on search and I can't do anything about them. submitted by /u/Eroscuk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/foswwi/how_to_remove_unused_icons_from_search/
  9. Windows7 OS, not recommended to upgrade to Windows10?

Windows7 OS, not recommended to upgrade to Windows10?: I have a Windows 7 pro 32bit computer and planning to upgrade it to Windows10. When I asked the Virtual Agent, it replied that >If your PC is running Windows 7, Microsoft strongly recommends that you >move to a new device running Windows 10 sometime before the end of...
  10. Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10

Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10: Good day! I need an advise regarding upgrading windows7 to windows10. I have a server where I save the windows10 to be deploy and I have around 200 users which is already had a windows 7 and needs to upgrade into windows 10. This users had a back up files . The steps i...