Windows 10: How to remove "Open with" option

Discus and support How to remove "Open with" option in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I remove the extra options that I do not need or want to ever use? 103235 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SightUp, Jan 26, 2018.

1. SightUp Win User

How to remove "Open with" option

How do I remove the extra options that I do not need or want to ever use?

:)

SightUp, Jan 26, 2018
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Jan 26, 2018
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Jan 26, 2018
  4. How to remove "Open with" option

OpenWithView is a small utility that displays the list of all available applications in the 'Open With' dialog-box of Windows, and allows you to easily disable/enable the applications in the list. When application is disabled, it won't be displayed in the 'Other Programs' section of the 'Open With' dialog-box.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  5. SightUp Win User
    The program in question that I am trying to remove is Edge and when I open this program you recommended, it is not there.

SightUp, Jan 26, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Edge is a special case. It's not an installable/uninstalable programs, like in the normal sense. It's built into Windows as a component. It will never show up as any type of installed program, like other Win32 apps. Firefox, Chrome, VLC, etc.

f14tomcat, Jan 26, 2018
  7. Yes this program does not allow removal of Microsoft Edge.

Which file extension type you want to remove Microsoft Edge for.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  8. SightUp Win User

.pdf

SightUp, Jan 26, 2018
  9. I don't think that is possible but let try.

Open the Registry Editor by hitting Start and typing regedit.

Press Enter to open Registry Editor.

In the Registry Editor, use the left sidebar to navigate to the following key:

Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[/quote] Inside the FileExts key, you’ll see a list of all the file extensions registered on your PC.

Found .pdf file extension under that key, click the OpenWithList subkey.

On the right-hand side of Registry Editor, found the Microsoft Edge value data and delete it.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  10. SightUp Win User
    It was there. However, it must have another entry somewhere else because upon deleting it, it did not get removed from the menu in question.

SightUp, Jan 26, 2018
  11. When you double click .pdf file does it open with Microsoft Edge?

FreeBooter, Jan 27, 2018
  12. SightUp Win User
    No. That was never the issue. I just wanted it gone from the list.

SightUp, Jan 27, 2018
  13. How to remove "Open with" option

Have look at below registry key values and also expand the key to see if you can found Microsoft Edge subkey.

Code: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\OpenWithList[/quote]

FreeBooter, Jan 27, 2018
  14. SightUp Win User
    It got rid of Word but not Edge.

SightUp, Jan 27, 2018
  15. Sorry i'm out of ideas.

FreeBooter, Jan 27, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove "Open with" option - Similar Threads - remove Open option

2. How to remove this... Opens everytime.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove this... Opens everytime.: Dear Folks,I have the following annoying message that pops up every 5 minutes, literally. This message is irritating, specially when doing conferences or calls.Does anyone know how to get rid of this?...
  3. How to remove the "recommended for you" options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the "recommended for you" options: HI, I'm trying to remove the "recommended for you" options that pop up when you click in the search bar, after clicking the start button. Note, I don't mean the 'recommended' section that appears under the pinned apps, but "recommended for you" that pops up when you click in...
  4. How to remove the "recommended for you" options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove the "recommended for you" options: HI, I'm trying to remove the "recommended for you" options that pop up when you click in the search bar, after clicking the start button. Note, I don't mean the 'recommended' section that appears under the pinned apps, but "recommended for you" that pops up when you click in...
  5. How to remove an optional update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove an optional update: I have an update in the Optional Updates and am wondering how to remove it out of there. Can one or two or three explain how I am to do that. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-an-optional-update/431961b4-cadd-4eda-a0f9-9aeadb8f5fc1
  6. How to remove an optional update

How to remove an optional update: I have an update in the Optional Updates and am wondering how to remove it out of there. Can one or two or three explain how I am to do that. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-an-optional-update/431961b4-cadd-4eda-a0f9-9aeadb8f5fc1
  7. How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?: I think it's may be due to malware. When I choose to open with another app for a .mp4 file, it raises this. I'd like to know how to remove the first option which is clearly invalid in other options completely. It's very annoying....
  8. how to reverse "open with" option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to reverse "open with" option: Recently I went to delete a cursor file that I added into the folder but accidentally opened it with paint.net. Now all of the files have the paint.net option on them and I can't view the image of each of the cursors. Is there a way for me to revert it back to how it was...
  9. How do I remove a Onedrive "open with" type option?

How do I remove a Onedrive "open with" type option?: I was having a problem opening an Excel file in Onedrive. I've figured out what I was doing wrong, but in the process I added "EXCEL.EXE" to the Application choice list. The correct option is "Office 2013". I want to clean this up and remove the "EXCEL.EXE" option. I can't...
  10. How to remove items in OPEN WITH

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove items in OPEN WITH: When i right click on a HTML file then select open with it lists things like google chrome,Microsoft edge but also some bizarre things like Microsoft jigsaw. I notice also that when i right click on different files different things will appear in the open with menu. My...