Windows 10: How To Remove Recent Files..

Discus and support How To Remove Recent Files.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ver 1903 build 18362 I don't like that recent files thing coming up in explorer all the time. very embarrassing, people can see where I've been...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Feb 1, 2020.

1. abrogard Win User

How To Remove Recent Files..

ver 1903 build 18362

I don't like that recent files thing coming up in explorer all the time.

very embarrassing, people can see where I've been...

So I google how to remove it and places like Tom's hardware spell it out quite clearly...

But, as so often seems to happen, what they say I'll see I don't see... the choices they talk about I don't have, don't get..

Open explorer, click view, change 'open file explorer to ' this pc'...

right there. I don't see any 'open file explorer to' thing?

Is this just my own sub standard intellect or is it really true that virtually all web advice on how to do things in win10 have been broken by recent changes to win10?

anyway... how about this one... can I quickly, easily get rid of this 'recent files' thing?

and while we're at it I'd like to get rid of that 'today', 'yesterday' , 'this week' or whatever it is... they've got dates on them, I just want a file listing.... that's the downloads folder I think isn't it?

:)

abrogard, Feb 1, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 1, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Feb 1, 2020
  4. corrywd Win User

Cannot Remove File From File Explorers Recent Files List

I'm using Windows 10 and have always been able to remove files from the file explorer's recent files list. The file is listed as FileProvider and it is located in the ThisPC/downloads directory. Any other file is readily deleted from the list by the usual
    procedure. This file is not. Any suggestions?

THANKS

corrywd, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. How To Remove Recent Files.. - Similar Threads - Remove Recent Files

2. How do I remove a .bak file from "Recent"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a .bak file from "Recent"?: I have Windows 11 Home on my laptop. I did a "save as" for a picture that I saved years ago in my ACDSee program in order to purchase a coffee mug on the internet. I cropped the picture as needed. After uploading the picture to the mug website, I deleted the "save as" file as...
  3. How do I remove a .bak file from "Recent"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove a .bak file from "Recent"?: I have Windows 11 Home on my laptop. I did a "save as" for a picture that I saved years ago in my ACDSee program in order to purchase a coffee mug on the internet. I cropped the picture as needed. After uploading the picture to the mug website, I deleted the "save as" file as...
  4. How do I remove the recent files thing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove the recent files thing?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Andypro69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i843a6/how_do_i_remove_the_recent_files_thing/
  5. How to delete / remove / unpin the recent files from my taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete / remove / unpin the recent files from my taskbar: Hi, how can i delete / remove / unpin recent files from my taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-remove-unpin-the-recent-files-from/38a46588-1fdf-42ca-9fec-e972309de5bf
  6. Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access: 1. I am unable to remove specific files from "Recent Files" in Quick Access, why? [ATTACH] 2. I deleted these types of files a long time ago and deleted this specific path where these photos were... These are NOT recent files... So why am I not able to remove them from...
  7. Recent Files Removal Issue with one file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Files Removal Issue with one file: Hi and Thank you, On my recent files one of the files was to the D:// and its giving me an error message that says, "The parameter is incorrect." Ive never had any issue with windows 10....
  8. how do i remove recent tabs

in Browsers and Email
    how do i remove recent tabs: if i go to history and want to remove it all of a sudden it shoes history and recent tabs and even after the history is deleted by checking the padge and hitting delete the recent tabs still shows the last 9 or 10 sites you have been on?*Mad 21196
  9. How To Disable Recent Files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Disable Recent Files?: Hello. How to disable that? When i open something (folder, files, pictures, etc....) it's automatic added to the recent files. And i saw everytime when i right click folder icon at taskbar. Any1 know the solutions? Thanks. Edit: After the updated 10586. I disabled...
  10. Recent Items: How to remove them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Items: How to remove them?: Hi all, I've got some sensitive personal material on my PC that are in .DOC files. I just wanted to know how I can remove this "Recent items" feature so that my .DOC files do not appear. Thank you for any help! 74255