Windows 10: How to remove the MSN pop up permanently?

Discus and support How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; That looks to be the Edge Browser going to msn.com on startup. I would think you'd see some reference that that in your start up items. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arcadian, May 8, 2016.

1. How to remove the MSN pop up permanently?

That looks to be the Edge Browser going to msn.com on startup. I would think you'd see some reference that that in your start up items.

DeaconFrost, May 8, 2016
  2. Arcadian Win User

Sorry where would the start up items be ?

Arcadian, May 8, 2016
  3. essenbe Win User
    Task manager in search > Open Task Manager > Go to startup tab.

essenbe, May 8, 2016
  4. Arcadian Win User

How to remove the MSN pop up permanently?

Nothing in there about Edge browser....?

Arcadian, May 8, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Nope, that's actually Internet Explorer.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  6. Arcadian Win User
    I did mention in the third post I'd removed Edge as I didn't want it, so perhaps it's something left over ?

Arcadian, May 8, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    AV = AntiVirus. I just want to make sure you have a 3rd-party AV on your system, as RKILL reports that Defender is disabled. That is as it should be, if you're using something else.

This picture you posted is Internet Explorer.
    Do you have Ccleaner on the machine? If so, I think you can disable it from there as well, if you can't find it in Startup/Task Manager.

How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? [​IMG]

You could also change your home page on Internet Explorer if you don't care for that Bing one. If you'd like instructions on that, let me know.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

You can also go to C:/ProgramData/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs/startup and see what is in the folder there. But it should show in the startup programs in task manager.

essenbe, May 8, 2016
  9. essenbe Win User
    It really shouldn't be running at startup anyway should it?

essenbe, May 8, 2016
  10. Arcadian Win User
    I use Firefox but have CCleaner in pic below....

Arcadian, May 8, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    No, it shouldn't.
    Go to TOOLS on the left, then STARTUP in the next column, then Scheduled Tasks tab across the top:

See if it shows in there. If so, disable it. Also have a look at the Internet Explorer tab - it might be in there. If not, we'll have to go back to the Startup folder through File Explorer as @essenbe mentioned.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  12. Arcadian Win User
    Sorry which one to remove ?

Arcadian, May 8, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

@Arcadian,
    Do you really use Wise Care? Things like these tend to mess up a computer more than help it. I would even suspect that the Internet Explorer opening upon boot, is a leftover of some "cleaning" it's done. I would disable all the Wise Care/ Wise Turbo items. Then please show us the Windows tab, and then please scroll the bar at the bottom all the way to the right, and let's see the Internet Explorer tab as well. Thanks.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  14. flybynite Win User
    You can delete everything in that startup screen.

flybynite, May 8, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Um...NO, that would not be a good idea.

simrick, May 8, 2016
Thema:

1. How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? - Similar Threads - remove MSN pop

2. How to stop MSN pop-ups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop MSN pop-ups?: I have a MSN popup. I was working in my "settings", trying to connect to WiFi . It blocks my work and freezes the screen. Tried to remove repeatedly but it always comes back. I want this gone. I don't mind at all if MSN gets deleted....
  3. How to stop MSN pop-ups?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop MSN pop-ups?: I have a MSN popup. I was working in my "settings", trying to connect to WiFi . It blocks my work and freezes the screen. Tried to remove repeatedly but it always comes back. I want this gone. I don't mind at all if MSN gets deleted....
  4. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently close app windows popping up?: I installed a program a long time ago called HxD Hex Editor, now, I wanted to clean up my PC of unwanted apps, and when I uninstalled the app, the folder with the .exe remained and 2 windows with "Runtime error 217 at 0000000000423357", if I close any of the two windows, the...
  5. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

How to permanently close app windows popping up?: I installed a program a long time ago called HxD Hex Editor, now, I wanted to clean up my PC of unwanted apps, and when I uninstalled the app, the folder with the .exe remained and 2 windows with "Runtime error 217 at 0000000000423357", if I close any of the two windows, the...
  6. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to remove the big volume pop-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the big volume pop-up: There is a big pop-up box beside the volume bar when running a music player program for example foorbar2000. When playing music, it shows the name of the song and the artist. When not playing any music, it just shows the name of the program. [ATTACH] I’ve already searched...
  8. POP UP REMOVAL

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    POP UP REMOVAL: I keep getting a page and a pop up ad that are called "SavingsForThe Savvy. How can I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-removal/537f5501-2b06-4816-923f-5f9a8c1c7cc9
  9. pop up removals

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    pop up removals: how to rid of pop ups https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pop-up-removals/320d2137-6923-4c90-90a4-1506ba9a0a88
  10. HOW TO REMOVE DOWNLOADMYINBOXHELPER.COM POP-UPS

HOW TO REMOVE DOWNLOADMYINBOXHELPER.COM POP-UPS: This annoying pop up just appeared and I want to get rid of it. Any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-downloadmyinboxhelpercom-pop-ups/48306e9e-10ff-4dac-bde7-c0fc7868cec5