Windows 10: How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu?

Discus and support How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jiimeh [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jiimeh, May 11, 2020.

1. /u/Jiimeh Win User

How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu?

/u/Jiimeh, May 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 I can't remove a tile from the start menu.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that you want to remove a tile from the start screen of a deleted folder.

Use the following steps to remove tiles from your Start Screen.

Please follow the below steps to remove the tile.

• Press the Windows (
      How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu? [​IMG]
      ) key
      to open the Start screen.
    • Right-click on the tile you want to remove.
    • Select Unpin from Start to remove the tile.
    Ideally, the above steps should remove the tile which you want to. However, if it fails to, I would suggest you to Restore Default Start Screen Tiles. Please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Enter the following command: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows, which will open the Microsoft Windows App-data folder.
    • Scroll down to find these two files, namely, item-data file and the item-data.bak.
    • Select both files to delet, right-click on it and select Delete option to send it to the Recycle bin. Don’t press Shift to delete it permanently, let it go to recycle bin. On the safe side you can make a backup copy of these two files on another disk location.
    • Restart your PC or log out and log in again. Now you will see Windows 8.x Start Screen reset to default tiles.
    • Now re-arrange the tile as you want and new tiles will also be created automatily when you install any apps from Store.
    Note: If anything went wrong and you want to revert start screen tiles to your tiles. restore item data files from recycle bin or from the location where you backed up to the Windows app data folder.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be glad to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 11, 2020
  3. Neilg Win User
    how do i reset the start menu in windows 10 to not show tiles?

A few days ago, my friends Win10 computer stopped showing his desktop and now only shows the tiles (he wants to see the default list of programs, not any tiles).

Clicking on the Windows key or "start menu" doesn't change anything. I stepped him through some online suggestions (including Settings/Start/Use-start-full-screen and making sure Settings/Table-mode was not engaged) but they don't work.

I've also compared his settings (Start/Use-start-full... and Table-mode) to my Win10 machine and they are the same.

Assistance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neilg, May 11, 2020
  4. ineuw Win User

Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu

A tile corrupted on the Start menu, and is not responsive to activation. The tile context menu only lists tile sizes and nothing else. I ran sfc /scannow and the system files are all OK. Cleared the IconCache.db as well as the Explorer, in the locations listed below and rebooted but the tile is still there. How can I fix this?
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\IconCache.db C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

ineuw, May 11, 2020
Thema:

1. How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu? - Similar Threads - remove tiles thingy

2. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  3. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  4. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unpin tiles from Start menu

Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  6. How to remove new theme aware tiles in Start Menu

How to remove new theme aware tiles in Start Menu: Hello, I have a question regarding a recent Windows 10 update, which introduced theme aware tiles in the Start Menu, making the tiles themselves transparent. The Start Menu is already transparent, and because of the desktop background I have, having transparent tiles...
  7. Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu: A tile corrupted on the Start menu, and is not responsive to activation. The tile context menu only lists tile sizes and nothing else. I ran sfc /scannow and the system files are all OK. Cleared the IconCache.db as well as the Explorer, in the locations listed below and...
  8. How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.

How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.: Is there a way to remove the margin, the gaps, between the tiles in the start menu? [img] Right now my start menu looks like this, but I want to remove the gap between the squares to make it look like a white sheet with icons on it. I cannot find a setting for this in the...
  9. Removing Colored Tile Backgrounds from Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Colored Tile Backgrounds from Start Menu Icons: [img] I'm wondering if there's currently a way to remove the ugly as hell tile background from icons located in the Start Menu. In other words, I just want the ICON to show. I really like the Windows 10 start menu (especially after removing the entire tile-set to the...
  10. Start Menu (Remove Tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu (Remove Tiles): Hey all, I beta tested Windows 10 several months back, previous to the version I tested, if you removed all the pined tiles from the start menu, it would look more like the conventional start menu. However in the few version I tested, even if you unpinned all the tiles,...