Windows 10: How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

Discus and support How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have an environment with 10 clients that run Windows 10 Pro and I have a Synology DS918+ that runs as a Domain ControllerSynology Directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndBod, Aug 27, 2020.

1. AndBod Win User

How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

Hi,

I have an environment with 10 clients that run Windows 10 Pro and I have a Synology DS918+ that runs as a Domain ControllerSynology Directory Server just as Active Directory.

The clients have been joined to the domain and there exists domain users that have and use roamin profiles.

I now would like to disable the usage of a Domain Controller and the domain users, but I do want to create local user accounts on each Windows 10 Pro client and make sure that the corresponding Domain Users Profile are copied over to the newly locally created user account in order to keep all files and settings.

How do I accomplish this is the correct and best way?

Thanks in advance for a quick response!

//AndBod

:)

AndBod, Aug 27, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

3. Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

Hi there,

We have a small office environment: 5 WIN10 computers so far with local user accounts and freshly deployed WS2016 with a domain. I am in the process of preparing to migrate local user profiles to their domain counterparts - all
    on local computers.

I have followed the profile migration procedure described here: Migrate local user profile to domain profile

After completing the procedure and logging in locally to the domain user account - with a former local user's profile path linked to the domain user profile in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\SID\ProfileImagePath,
    it turned out that the Start menu does not open. The same when I re-log in as a local user.

I tried then to reset the domain user's profile path to its original location (i.e. without settings of the local user I wanted to migrate) in the registry to learn that:

- after logging in to the domain user, the Start menu works correctly,

- after logging in to the local user, the Start menu it does not work.

Does anyone has an idea of what went wrong and how to correct it? Thx in advance!

Rafał Przelaskowski, Aug 27, 2020
  4. How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how to migrate a local profile to a domain profile without software? I have some Windows 10 computers that are setup as workgroups, but we need to move them to the company domain. I want to ensure that users don't lose their files, settings, etc. Thanks in advance.

Shay

orthompson, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile?

1. How to Remove Win 10 from domain and make domain user profile into a local user profile? - Similar Threads - Remove domain domain

2. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  3. Migrate from domain profile to local profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate from domain profile to local profile: Here is my situation, I had a Windows server set up in my house with PCs connected to it on my network. I took the server out of operation a few years ago but have been logging into my PCs with the same accounts with no issues. A few days ago I wanted to change the password...
  4. Domain workstations user profiles are getting deleted.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Domain workstations user profiles are getting deleted.: The environment here consists of a Windows Server 2012 R2 as the domain controller and about forty workstation all running Windows 10. On only a hand full of workstations, we occasionally about once a month experience an issue where all the user profiles get deleted. When the...
  5. Creating Domain User Profile Without Logging In

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Creating Domain User Profile Without Logging In: Hi All, As we become an increasingly remote workforce, I would like to get away from asking for user credentials completely and make it so I can deploy a new computer to a user without having to log into their account. It's hard for an IT Administrator to enforce the IT...
  6. NTUSER.DAT and domain user profile problem.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    NTUSER.DAT and domain user profile problem.: I have an issue with the profile on my PC. My PC is part of a domain and each time it starts it loads my profile and group policy. A month ago I added myself to a group in AD called 'terminal servers' as I was planning on setting up remote access. This group is used for our...
  7. Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu does not open after migrating a local user profile to domain profile: Hi there, We have a small office environment: 5 WIN10 computers so far with local user accounts and freshly deployed WS2016 with a domain. I am in the process of preparing to migrate local user profiles to their domain counterparts - all on local computers. I have followed...
  8. Domain User Profiles always "in use" or loaded

in Windows 10 Support
    Domain User Profiles always "in use" or loaded: There was a time where the profiles were not "in use" or loaded unless the user was actually logged into the machine, however, I've noticed recently that all profiles are always loaded and their profiles cannot be deleted unless I delete a key in the registry. Example:...
  9. Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Migrate Locale Profile to Domain: Hi Everyone, Does anyone know how to migrate a local profile to a domain profile without software? I have some Windows 10 computers that are setup as workgroups, but we need to move them to the company domain. I want to ensure that users don't lose their files, settings,...
  10. Domain users are getting a temporary profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Domain users are getting a temporary profile: Clean install of Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-US_10074 After joining domain non admin users are getting a temporary profile and the start menu will not work. did not have this issue on earlier builds My domain admin user account is working fine 6935