Windows 10: How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD

Discus and support How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I downloaded the windows 10 files to an SSD I had for backup. I had to install Windows 10 on a usb or hard drive from an other computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cocoa_star, Apr 20, 2020.

1. How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD

Hello,

I downloaded the windows 10 files to an SSD I had for backup. I had to install Windows 10 on a usb or hard drive from an other computer because my laptop showed a stop code and was not working. I was told by Microsoft customer representative to download the software online onto a usb flash drive, however I didn't have a usb at the time so I used the SSD that I had. I transferred the files to another computer because I was told I would lose my files while installing Windows 10. After the software downloaded on my hard drive ssd I noticed the file size decreased to 32 gb for the installation file and I was shocked the size for my hard drive decreased. I would like to remove these installation files from my hard drive but I'm not able to. I tried to formal the hard drive by right-clicking USB drive from a different computer and clicking Format, however it just shows a 32gb folder as empty and I cannot retrieve the SSD's original size or transfer my old files back in there. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem, to remove the installer from the SSD/hard drive? Thank you.

I've read this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-10-install-files-from-usb/a265ed6e-0554-4b1b-a25f-41b2cb17dc38

and this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nal-hard/d0c433be-2efb-4c80-aef2-049fe88a959f

but none of these helped. I don't want to lose this SSD or change its settings that will ruin the hard drive. I really need this drive for backup. Any help or professional advice anyone can offer would be great help.

Thank you.

:)

cocoa_star, Apr 20, 2020
  2. theonedub Win User

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

No its built into Windows, just open disk cleanup and select 'Clean up system Files' button on the bottom left- now you'll see previous installs of Windows listed under list of cleanable items. My old install is a whopping 25GB of my 256GB SSD.

theonedub, Apr 20, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Apr 20, 2020
  4. How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

If you want to move it from hard disk, system image or cloning would be your options:

Choose system image if the SSD is equal in size or larger than hard disk:

Choose cloning if its not:

How to Clone or Move Your Windows 10 Installation to a Larger Hard Disk or SSD

OR

You can remove the hard disk, reinstall Windows 10 directly to SSD, reattach the hard drive and format it.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD

1. How to Remove Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk or SSD - Similar Threads - Remove Install Files

2. Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk?: How can I remove bitlocker password from my external hard disk without having to format or delete the data in that hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-bitlocker-password-from-my-external-hard/c6672382-98ef-4d72-9b9a-cc8772c744d5
  3. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move file from hard disk to external: If I move a file from my laptop to an external drive will I be able to recover the file later on my laptop, same as for example a deleted file with a program like Recuva....
  4. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move file from hard disk to external: If I move a file from my laptop to an external drive will I be able to recover the file later on my laptop, same as for example a deleted file with a program like Recuva....
  5. Move file from hard disk to external

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10: How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10 . the computer is recognizing the HDD with a Drive Letter but display error "not accessable" and ask for it to be reformatted....
  7. Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting Windows 10 from external hard disk: Greetings. I have a laptop (Predator Helios 300) with Windows 10 (Home, upgraded to Pro with Win7 key) installation that I like to keep clean. From time to time I will have to find a new piece of software for certain task. Normally I would start by trying out programs from...
  8. Removing Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk and lost data

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing Windows 10 Install Files From an external Hard Disk and lost data: Hi! I've downloaded the Windows 10 files to my external hard drive. I noticed that the size of the disk changed, so when I didn't need the Windows installation files anymore I opened Disk Management and remove the partition which had the installation files. I did not format...
  9. Creating Windows 10 Installer in External Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating Windows 10 Installer in External Hard Disk: Hey! I am trying to extract the ISO of windows 10 to a partition on my external hard disk. But when I boot my device through external hard disk my pc displays me message that no OS found. My hard disk is of 1TB which has four partitions and I have extracted the ISO on...
  10. Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window 10 unable safety remove external hard disk: Don't know since when my window 10 laptop cannot perform safety remove my external hard disk but it do able safety remove flash drive. I have no idea what program it started cause my hard disk not able to be safety removed as i have try to freshly connect my hard disk when...