Windows 10: How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

Discus and support How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I bought a new PC that has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm using the old 1TB drive from the previous system as a data drive. Let's call it the D: drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GregSteiner, Sep 26, 2020.

1. How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

I bought a new PC that has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm using the old 1TB drive from the previous system as a data drive. Let's call it the D: drive. The D: drive used to be the boot drive and has lots of Windows system files on it that I want to delete to free up space. However, many of the files require "TrustedInstaller" rights to remove them. I really don't want to wipe the drive...it would be a pain to copy all the data files to an external drive, wipe the drive, then copy them back. I'm also afraid of losing data, even though I have backups. How can I remove the files that have "TrustedInstaller" locks?

:)

GregSteiner, Sep 26, 2020
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Sep 26, 2020
  3. dhdude Win User
    Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive :)

dhdude, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

1. How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive - Similar Threads - remove system files

2. How to recover my files on old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover my files on old hard drive?: I installed a new SSd drive but left the original one in to use also. The original one has Windows 7. I installed Windows 10 on the SSD drive and had selected new install and the correct drive. After installing I can't get any of my files off the second drive. It seems like...
  3. How to recover my files on old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recover my files on old hard drive?: I installed a new SSd drive but left the original one in to use also. The original one has Windows 7. I installed Windows 10 on the SSD drive and had selected new install and the correct drive. After installing I can't get any of my files off the second drive. It seems like...
  4. How to remove deleted files from hard drive capacity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to remove deleted files from hard drive capacity: Hi. New to forum. Not sure if question has been answered, but ... I bought a new Windows 10 computer a few months ago, and was so pleased to see my 500 GB SSD drive with so much free space. I wanted to keep it that way, so whenever I downloaded a program or file and...
  5. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive: Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD...
  6. Deleting system files from an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting system files from an old hard drive: I followed this script: " OK, open a Command Prompt window as Administrator Windows + X keys together and then select Command Prompt Admin from the resulting menu Run each of these commands and press enter after each one, this will remove the old Program Files Folder...
  7. New system old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New system old hard drive?: Hi, I'm building a new system soon, but I have a question. I just have this hard drive with Windows on it and keep the old drivers and everything. How can I avoid a new installation of Windows now? Can I just uninstall all the old drivers and integrate them into the new...
  8. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  9. Removing Windows from an old hard drive

Removing Windows from an old hard drive: How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-windows-from-an-old-hard-drive/c902e4cf-8e2f-4b69-81b9-c8d6954a1a4f"
  10. How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?: My Present D: drive was once my primary C: drive. When i got a nice new SSD i did a clean W10 OS install on it and it became my C:, with the prior becoming the afore cited D:. Now i have the following folders and files coming off the D: root and i want to get rid of them,...