Windows 10: how to rename a user name but i cannot find it

Discus and support how to rename a user name but i cannot find it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I went through all the steps, but the name of only my account. I do see the file name under users subdirectory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PriscillaFriend, Feb 16, 2019.

1. how to rename a user name but i cannot find it

I went through all the steps, but the name of only my account. I do see the file name under users subdirectory

:)

PriscillaFriend, Feb 16, 2019

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Feb 16, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Feb 16, 2019
  4. how to rename a user name but i cannot find it

I want to rename the user name I entered when i first got my laptop

Hi,

Is that your local account or your Microsoft account?

If the user folder is the same as your Microsoft account, I'm afraid you won't be able to change that user folder's name. But if it's your local account, you can change it by following these steps:

• Type user accounts on the search box.
    • Click on User Accounts.
    • Click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

I suggest you read through this
    thread
    as well and check out what Annu Singh posted to the community for another workaround to fix this issue.

Keep us updated.

Joanna 777, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

how to rename a user name but i cannot find it

1. how to rename a user name but i cannot find it - Similar Threads - rename user name

2. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  3. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  4. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Rename C:/Users/<name>

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename C:/Users/<name>: How do I rename the above specified directory? I changed it through registry editor but after that my start menu failed and I've reset my PC. Please help me out with this submitted by /u/HarishRaj21 [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows cannot find: C:\User\User Name\Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot find: C:\User\User Name\Folder: Hi - From File Explorer, I cannot open any file on my computer. The error always says: Windows cannot find: C:\User\User Name\Folder\... In File Explorer, everything shows up OK. But I have tried to open files in the Documents folder and the Music folder; always getting...
  7. How to Rename user folder name ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Rename user folder name ?: As you can guess from the title. submitted by /u/SolarisAZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gsczbw/how_to_rename_user_folder_name/
  8. Cannot rename WiFi adapter name

Cannot rename WiFi adapter name: My desktop PC has no built-in wireless adapter, but I occasionally plug in a USB-attached wireless adapter. Windows has given this adapter the name "Wi-Fi 2". I tried renaming this to "Wi-Fi" and got the message Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the same name...
  9. How can I rename a user in C:\users\[name] ?

How can I rename a user in C:\users\[name] ?: I recently got a new PC built, got Windows 10 installed, and booted up my computer, but I noticed my user folder wasn't named like it normally is. Usually the folder is named as my first name, but this time, it was named zoatc. I thought I could just get away with right-click...
  10. How to rename user name part of each user's documents folder

How to rename user name part of each user's documents folder: After I needed to perform an in place upgrade to resolve file corruption issues I had difficulty in re-creating user accounts (now resolved). When two of the three missing user accounts were reinstated Windows adjusted the user name in each user's my documents folder path as...