Windows 10: How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc.

Discus and support How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I correct the User Name folder after switching from a Microsoft Account to a Local Account on a new PC. I was able to set up a new admin user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mrs.BC, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Mrs.BC Win User

How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc.

How do I correct the User Name folder after switching from a Microsoft Account to a Local Account on a new PC. I was able to set up a new admin user however, when reviewing the folder name for my documents, pictures, etc., it reflects an abbreviated form for my former Microsoft Account and I can't rename it.

:)

Mrs.BC, Aug 23, 2019

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Aug 23, 2019
  3. How to rename user name part of each user's documents folder

After I needed to perform an in place upgrade to resolve file corruption issues I had difficulty in re-creating user accounts (now resolved). When two of the three missing user accounts were reinstated Windows adjusted the user name in each user's my documents
    folder path as the user name already existed on the computer.

How do I now rename the relevant folders to incorporate the proper user name?

Here is the ask to make things a bit clearer:

I want to rename c:users\mepri.acer-aspire to be c:users\mepri

[I first renamed the legacy and unwanted c:users\mepri folder to a different name.]

If I just rename the folder as the admin user using file explorer, this causes a problem when user mepri logs in.

User mepri gets a message saying there is a problem and they need to sign out.

Ideas much appreciated!

DuncanPrince, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

1. How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc. - Similar Threads - rename admin user

2. The folder named 'Documents' got renamed by the system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The folder named 'Documents' got renamed by the system: I am running Windows 10 Pro 22H2. Recently I upgraded my C: drive. Here is what I did to save my Documents folder for the new disk.I used robocopy to save the "Documents" folder to my D: drive as "D-Documents".After the disk swap I used robocopy to copy the "D:\D-Documents"...
  3. The folder named 'Documents' got renamed by the system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The folder named 'Documents' got renamed by the system: I am running Windows 10 Pro 22H2. Recently I upgraded my C: drive. Here is what I did to save my Documents folder for the new disk.I used robocopy to save the "Documents" folder to my D: drive as "D-Documents".After the disk swap I used robocopy to copy the "D:\D-Documents"...
  4. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  5. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  6. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. My Picture folder is named "Documents" Is there anyway to reset the User folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Picture folder is named "Documents" Is there anyway to reset the User folder?: I was trying to move pictures to my D drive on my computer but decided I wanted it it back on my C drive. When I went to my picture folder again it was named documents....
  8. Rename Admin User name in Windows 10

Rename Admin User name in Windows 10: Hello! I have a windows 10 laptop for about one and a half years now. I use it a lot for programming, which means I need to install a few staff to help me with development ex. libraries, frameworks. Recently I started developing android apps and everything worked fine until...
  9. How to Rename user folder name ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Rename user folder name ?: As you can guess from the title. submitted by /u/SolarisAZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gsczbw/how_to_rename_user_folder_name/
  10. How to rename user name part of each user's documents folder

How to rename user name part of each user's documents folder: After I needed to perform an in place upgrade to resolve file corruption issues I had difficulty in re-creating user accounts (now resolved). When two of the three missing user accounts were reinstated Windows adjusted the user name in each user's my documents folder path as...