Windows 10: How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing

Discus and support How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I use windows 11 file explorer for renaming file to some file name, which exists in current folder, system offers to rename to some other name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ChimiCR, Mar 16, 2023.

1. ChimiCR Win User

How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing

When I use windows 11 file explorer for renaming file to some file name, which exists in current folder, system offers to rename to some other name adding number... In previous versions it was possible to choose replace existing file and finish task in one action. How can I enable this behavior in latest windows explorer version? Exiting process, finding existing file, deleting it and trying again is not effective.

:)

ChimiCR, Mar 16, 2023

2. replace existing file"

Copy paste used to ask "file exists, replace" but suddenly in Win 10, it renames the same named file as a "copy."

No one seems to know here the option to chance this setting is. Anyone know the answer?

Lawrence R.Mulligan, Mar 16, 2023
  3. PaulE3779 Win User
    Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

When I try and rename a file or folder on my desktop I get an error message - The file or folder does not exist. They do exist. I have full control over them by permissions. I can rename them through CMD. I can rename files in other folders. In looking around
    the internet I found the instructions below on the Microsoft website,
    they didn't help.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Method 1: Run Built in Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    2. Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    3. Select Windows store Apps.
    4. Follow the on screen instruction.

Method 2: If the issue still persist please follow below steps.

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    2. Click File > Run New Task.
    3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    4. Type Powershell
    5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    6. Close the Powershell window
    7. Reboot.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

PaulE3779, Mar 16, 2023
  4. Orerockon Win User

File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files in the destination folder. One click, keep the old file and rename the new one, bam, done. Now, trying the same thing in Win 10, I get a really stupid box, Replace the files in the destination (same as the old), Skip these files (ditto), or Let me decide for each file (abotu the same, I don't have any Win 7 boxes to check). So I click on Let me decide... and a list of all the files comes up with checkboxes for each and every one, and two to select all the files in one or both folders. So now I have an extra step compared to Win 7, I have to check off these boxes, then continue. All I had to do is click on copy and rename the files in Win 7. Does anyone else think this is a really stupid and unnecessary complication of a really common thing to do in Explorer? More to the point, is there some setting that I can turn off, to let it replace or rename everything with one simple mouse click? I've tried the old Robocpoy and Rich Copy and they're not acceptable, even more steps that explorer.

Slightly related question: is there a fully featured alternative to file explorer (by that I mean everything that Win 7 File explorer could do)? Coupled with other "deimprovements" like destroying the insanely useful "recent files & folders" in the folder pane every save/save as menu in every program and replacing it with the fatally flawed "Quick Access" I'm wanting to ditch it altogether. It would be really special if we just could revert to the old File explorer and make life a heck of a lot easier.

Orerockon, Mar 16, 2023
Thema:

1. How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing - Similar Threads - rename file name

2. How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename file to name of existing one with replacing: When I use windows 11 file explorer for renaming file to some file name, which exists in current folder, system offers to rename to some other name adding number... In previous versions it was possible to choose replace existing file and finish task in one action. How can I...
  3. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  4. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  5. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

6. Existing Desktop Replaced with new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing Desktop Replaced with new one: after a reboot, my laptop opened to a Desktop missing all my normal Icons about a dozen and now only contains a Recycle Bin. I have looked in the Recycle to see if a Desktop had been put there - no luck.I have gone to File Expl and found the executables for a couple of the...
  7. Existing Desktop Replaced with new one

Existing Desktop Replaced with new one: after a reboot, my laptop opened to a Desktop missing all my normal Icons about a dozen and now only contains a Recycle Bin. I have looked in the Recycle to see if a Desktop had been put there - no luck.I have gone to File Expl and found the executables for a couple of the...
  8. Existing Desktop Replaced with new one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Rename file name by Find and Replace in Microsoft Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename file name by Find and Replace in Microsoft Windows: Hi, I have thousands of pdf files on my PC, If I want to rename the files all together how can I find and replace all the file names one time?...
  10. REPLACING EXISTING MOUSE WITH NEW ONE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    REPLACING EXISTING MOUSE WITH NEW ONE: My original 7 year old wireless HID mouse is annoyingly misbehaving although it still works so I have just bought a replacement wireless HID one by the same manufacturer but different model number. The mouse and keyboard are linked to my Windows system pc. I am using my old...