Windows 10: How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1

Discus and support How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey gang, I've got a bunch of files (~300) that need to be renamed sequentially. I used the F2 command to change the names from "image1.png" to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StLOrca, May 14, 2019.

1. StLOrca Win User

How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1

Hey gang,

I've got a bunch of files (~300) that need to be renamed sequentially. I used the F2 command to change the names from "image1.png" to "M00000(1).png", etc. Is there a switch or something in PowerShell or the command prompt to start at a number other than 1 and remove the parentheses? In this case, I need them to start at "M000214.png".

I know the PowerShell command is supposed to start with this: dir | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name replace "M?????" ""}, but my Google-fu has failed me after that. Can any of you fabulously good-looking, ridiculously smart folks help me out?

Thanks in advance!

:)

StLOrca, May 14, 2019

2. Trouble renaming photos and files

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Photo app to rename the photos?

- Did you try renaming the photos directly from File explorer?

- Do you get any message?

I suggest you to rename photos from File Explorer and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to rename photo from File Explorer:

1. Right click on the start menu and select File Explorer.

2. Click on pictures present on the left side of the page.

3. Right on the picture you want to rename and select the option rename.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, May 14, 2019
  3. amd5750m Win User
    rename inf

I have a 7670m 1gb driver crimson legacy, how to rename my 7670m (which in driver detects as 7600m) to 8670m?

I am something new in this I would appreciate it if you would give me all the steps since I am very interested

I use win 7

his is what I try to do but not rename these files

Does someone have a step for newbies?

this is more or less the idea in the link

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

amd5750m, May 14, 2019
  4. Tom_WC Win User

renaming photos imported into windows 10

The usual approach is to select (left click) the last image in Explorer, then <shift> select the first one, then right click and select "rename". The files will be named whatever you type plus a sequential number. For instance, if you type "Paris", the
    first file will be "Paris (1)", the second "Paris (2)", etc.

Tom_WC, May 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1 - Similar Threads - rename files sequentially

2. how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?: Hi,I have multiple files in a folder, and I want to add a sequential prefix to all the files using power shell.For example:random name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfChange to:C3.1 random name file.pdfC3.2 random name...
  3. how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?: Hi,I have multiple files in a folder, and I want to add a sequential prefix to all the files using power shell.For example:random name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfChange to:C3.1 random name file.pdfC3.2 random name...
  4. how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to number files sequentially in file explorer based on creation date

how to number files sequentially in file explorer based on creation date: Hey I'm not very good at powershell so I was wondering if someone who is could help me. I found this answer on another thread on how to number files sequentially in file explorer and I need it modified but I don't really understand it.[ref]$i = 1; gci -file Rename-Item...
  6. how to number files sequentially in file explorer based on creation date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to number files sequentially in file explorer based on creation date: Hey I'm not very good at powershell so I was wondering if someone who is could help me. I found this answer on another thread on how to number files sequentially in file explorer and I need it modified but I don't really understand it.[ref]$i = 1; gci -file Rename-Item...
  7. how to number files sequentially in file explorer based on creation date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Bulk renaming files in sequential order making multiples

Bulk renaming files in sequential order making multiples: I am renaming files in sequential order but it is making multiples. I will have 2 files named abc 1 and two named abc 2 and this will go on for many file names. I have tried setting a start number...still happens. I cannot find a solution....
  9. how to number files sequentially in file explore ?

how to number files sequentially in file explore ?: how to number files sequentially in file explore ? I open my flash drive with 700 songs in it. How do I number the songs in sequence in file explorer ?...
  10. How to change sequential numbers in 2016 Word?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to change sequential numbers in 2016 Word?: I have a multiple page document that has a 96 numbers sequentially listed. Actually its 192, because the numbers appear twice on the same page. Four duplicate numbers on 12 pages, 192 instances of sequential numbers. I need to be able to renumber starting with the next...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to number files sequentially