Windows 10: How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

Discus and support How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Microsoft256, Aug 24, 2018.

1. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after it. For example, a folder with the files "abc.txt", "123.txt" and "Null.txt" batch renamed "File" would become "File (1).txt", "File (2).txt" and "File (3).txt" respectively.

The problem that I am having is when you use this feature on files of different types. If the files in that same folder were "abc.jpg", "123.mp3" and "Null.txt" and I did the same rename, all files would be named the same thing like "File.jpg", "File.mp3" and "File.txt".

Is there any way to select all files in a folder of different types and batch rename them to all have "File (X)" instead of having duplicates?

The actual reason I want to do this is for my photos. I have folders of photos of both jpg and png types and I want to sort them by date and name them "Image" so that all files will be named "Image (X)" sorted by date. When I do this though, I have duplicate "Image (1)" etc. because of the multiple file extensions. Is there any way to fix this?

Here are some pictures further explaining what I am talking about:

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions [​IMG]

:)

Microsoft256, Aug 24, 2018

2. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Hello,

Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following:

CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here

REN *.jpg *.tif

This changes every file that has a JPG extension to a TIF. I'm trying to replicate the same thing, but do it in a batch file, but I keep throwing an error that says "The system cannot find the file specified." I'm not sure if the syntax has to be different
    as a batch file as opposed to just typing it into Windows Command Line itself. Here is the code I have now:

Code:
    title Image File Extension ChangeECHO Finding directory, please wait.CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\HereECHO Renaming files, please wait.

ren *.jpg *.tif

pause
    Thank you for the help!

PeterThomas6, Aug 24, 2018
  3. red268 Win User
    Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Aug 24, 2018
  4. DrKukary Win User

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

File sorting option to ignore articles?

I am looking for a way to make windows explorer ignore articles (a, an, and the) when alphabetically sorting file names. I run a media server and it would be extremely helpful if I didn't have to rename thousands of file names. I think an option like this
    would be pretty easy to sneak into folder and search options (please Microsoft?). Does anybody know of a way to make this happen?

DrKukary, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

1. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions - Similar Threads - rename multiple sorted

2. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  3. Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Sort Files By Extension: In the old days if you clicked on a list of files in a folder, it would alternate between sorting by name, file extension, file size, etc. Now it's different. You can select more than one field to sort on, and which fields to sort first, second, etc. The fields you select...
  4. rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...: I want to rename a file with a new extension but keep the exiting extension as part of the new file name. Example xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000 rename to xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000.123."ren * *.123" just replaces the .f000 with .123.I want to keep the .f000 as part of the new filename.The...
  5. Bug in massive file extension renaming

Bug in massive file extension renaming: I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file. Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10 v1909, I try to change the extension in one shot by F2 key, by context menu, by Ribbon too. The regular box on the file name...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...: I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I was able to handle these files completely normally until then. If I try to rename them, Explorer freezes and I have to...
  7. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...
  8. How to sort files by extension?

How to sort files by extension?: How, Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-extension/a3e24bef-33b1-4d42-9aac-5df456034326"
  9. How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order

in Windows 10 Support
    How to batch rename multiple files while keeping the sorting order: Pretty hard to explain what I wish to do in a clear title... Hello ! I'll explain with an example, files names will sound silly but I'm sumplifying the issue. I have a folder called "test", in this folder I have 3 images (.jpg). One image is the picture of the number "1"...
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...