Windows 10: How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean

Discus and support How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi! I am facing issues with a few VR applications (and probably more stuff in the future as this is a common bug source it seems). My name has an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by humansteak, Nov 16, 2019.

1. How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean

Hi!
    I am facing issues with a few VR applications (and probably more stuff in the future as this is a common bug source it seems).

My name has an accent in it, and so does my Windows 10 Username. Making my AppData folder corrupted for some apps...

So what is the best way to rename my username and User folder and, or, to make a new user account and move all my stuff, as smoothly as possible?

Thank you

:)

humansteak, Nov 16, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Nov 16, 2019
  4. How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean

1. How to rename/or move all my stuff to new user ? Quick efficient clean - Similar Threads - rename move stuff

2. How to rename my user folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename my user folder?: I'm trying to use an app which is in my user folder. This app doesn't recognize a character in my windows username and shuts down immediately.The user settings in control panel don't seem to allow me to rename it anymore.My desktop user has a signed in Microsoft account,...
  3. How to rename my user folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename my user folder?: I'm trying to use an app which is in my user folder. This app doesn't recognize a character in my windows username and shuts down immediately.The user settings in control panel don't seem to allow me to rename it anymore.My desktop user has a signed in Microsoft account,...
  4. cleaning unwanted stuff on my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cleaning unwanted stuff on my computer: how do I clean up unwanted or unused files or programs? How do I check out what will be deleted or removed before its deleted or removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cleaning-unwanted-stuff-on-my-computer/fda19f7d-70c5-4fa4-95ce-dbf9e8a352b6
  5. cleaning unwanted stuff on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cleaning unwanted stuff on my computer: how do I clean up unwanted or unused files or programs? How do I check out what will be deleted or removed before its deleted or removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cleaning-unwanted-stuff-on-my-computer/fda19f7d-70c5-4fa4-95ce-dbf9e8a352b6
  6. cleaning unwanted stuff on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can you rename User Folder in Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you rename User Folder in Quick Access?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/p0hi0km1zop61.png?width=306&format=png&auto=webp&s=4a4a38841a78f0ca175434ce762efc51d89e04f0 submitted by /u/andorejunior [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/metyzq/can_you_rename_user_folder_in_quick_access/
  8. Is there a quick way to rename all files within a folder?

Is there a quick way to rename all files within a folder?: Is there a quick way to rename files within a folder? In my situation, all of the files have a date, that I update quarterly. Currently, I painstakingly select F2, End, and then rename the part of the date portion. So for example, if the folder had 12 files consisting of...
  9. Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile

Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile: Hi all, I recently changed my name and don't really want to see my deadname in every user file path, however I'm aware that the only way to really fix that is to create a whole new user and pass everything over to them, which is fine for general files, but I was wondering if...
  10. How do I move all my data from my current user to a new user on the same computer?

How do I move all my data from my current user to a new user on the same computer?: Essentially I want to have the same effect as just changing the name of the user would do, except without changing the user's name. Thanks for any help you can provide! submitted by /u/DeathScrub [link] [comments]...