Windows 10: How to repair corrupted system files

Discus and support How to repair corrupted system files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This will be a bit long because I intend to cover everything. I am currently running Windows 10 x64 1803 build 17134.228. I recently notice that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulSchauble, Aug 19, 2018.

1. How to repair corrupted system files

This will be a bit long because I intend to cover everything.

I am currently running Windows 10 x64 1803 build 17134.228.

I recently notice that my backup program was failing to back up 4 files, all lsyste dlls, giving the error "Unknown windows error". After a couple of rounds with their tech support, I gave up and wrote a small Win32 program that read the file and reported errors. With this, I discovered that on each file near the end of the file, ReadFile returned windows error 605. The text for this error talk about a badly formatted compression buffer. Since system dlls are compressed, I suspect this means that decompression is failing because the file content is corrupted.

- I ran chkdsk, which detected no errors and got the same result afterwards.

- I ran sfc /scannow which ran to 25% and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

- I ran DISM with /scanhealth, /checkhealth, and /repairhelalth. Each ran to between 20% and 25%, reported a 605 error and stopped.

I think I need to replace the contents of the affected 4 dlls. I though that's what dism did, but apparently not.

How can I get replacements for the 4 damaged dlls.

:)

PaulSchauble, Aug 19, 2018

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Aug 19, 2018
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Frank2013 Win User

How to repair corrupted system files

Suggestions repair corrupt system files Windows 10

I have been having the same issue and results are noted below if it helps you: (As per Microsoft) the SFC was able to cleanup some files, but not all. The list prompt mentioned that the corrupted files were 'unable to fix them'. Microfoft then suggested
    to run a DISM program. The result was that the 'DISM.exe/online/cleanup-image/scannow' was unable to execute due to an #87 error - "the cleanup-image/scanhealth option is unknown." So, I executed the DSM.exe/? and DISM.exe/Online/?. In neither did I find
    a "scanhealth" option in the "Online" executed folder. This is the 'Error: #87' as it was listed in the scrolled error in the cp. Microsoft, in turn, wrote the following, "I would like to inform that if you are not able to repair
    some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log
    %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan." I did this and the results were unsuccessful. I have now scanned and listed a number
    of corrupted files, many if not all seemingly unrepairable. I am awaiting further direction because the typical data entry from the log is unclear as to the result.

Frank2013, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

How to repair corrupted system files

1. How to repair corrupted system files - Similar Threads - repair corrupted system

2. How to repair seemingly corrupted system32 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to repair seemingly corrupted system32 file: I was in the process of installing For Honor from Steam's app when my computer blue screened and gave me a registry error as a stop code. Everytime I attempt to boot into windows 11 the computer immediatly bluescreens without me even seeing the sign in screen. The automatic...
  3. How to repair seemingly corrupted system32 file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to repair seemingly corrupted system32 file: I was in the process of installing For Honor from Steam's app when my computer blue screened and gave me a registry error as a stop code. Everytime I attempt to boot into windows 11 the computer immediatly bluescreens without me even seeing the sign in screen. The automatic...
  4. How to Fix Corrupted System Files?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Fix Corrupted System Files?: Hi, recently my HP laptop keeps crashing when playing games. I ran "sfc /scannow" scan on command prompt, and the result:-Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located...
  5. How to Fix Corrupted System Files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Corrupted System Files?: Hi, recently my HP laptop keeps crashing when playing games. I ran "sfc /scannow" scan on command prompt, and the result:-Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located...
  6. How to Fix Corrupted System Files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Repair corrupted and missing system files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Repair corrupted and missing system files.: 1st method try performing sfc 1. Open start menu 2. Type cmd 3. Run cmd as aministrator 4. Type sfc /scannow 2nd method dism In cmd type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth...
  8. How do we repair corrupted files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do we repair corrupted files?: Recently, i accidentally forced the shutdown of my computer that's using windows 8.1. Since, i have corrupted files and I want to fix them. But, when i execute the dism /online / cleanup-image /restorehealth command, It gives error 1276. It also says that the the remote...
  9. repairing corrupt files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    repairing corrupt files: After running sfc /scannow on my windows 10 installation I have been advised tthat there are corrupt files. I have viewed the log and would like to know what these messages mean. " 000010fd Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory...
  10. How to repair corrupted JPG files & prevent corruption

in Windows 10 Support
    How to repair corrupted JPG files & prevent corruption: I have a collection of JPG files and when trying to open those old JPG files, I find corrupted ones in them. It is always very disappointing but I have no idea how and when they happened. The storage media is 1TB SSD (Samsung 850 Pro-MZ-7KE1T). My question is if there is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fixing corrupted windows files

2. how to fix corrupted files from forced shutdown

3. windows 10 corrupt system files after forced shutdown