Windows 10: How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit

Discus and support How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a nice PC that dual-boots Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I'd like to do a "non-destructive repair" of ONLY the Win 7 [probably by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glnz, Feb 1, 2017.

1. glnz Win User

How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit

I have a nice PC that dual-boots Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

I'd like to do a "non-destructive repair" of ONLY the Win 7 [probably by using the "upgrade" function of a Win 7 installation CD or img] but what steps should I take to make sure the Win 7 repair doesn't touch my Win 10 (and the ancillary partitions with the boot loader/MBR, etc.) and keeps my PC dual-booting?

Thanks.

:)

glnz, Feb 1, 2017

2. I am using win7 pro now can I install win 10 with a dual boot

I currently use windows 7 Pro (64 bit). I would like to keep my win 7 pro. until I learn how to use win 10 comfortably,

will I be able to create a dual boot with the new free win 10 and my existing win 7 pro 64 bit install.

Thank you Frank Watson

Frank Watson75, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the same CPU

ODG

You cannot use a backup to create a dual boot and the setup is more complicated than you suspect. When you dual boot you generally install the oldest OS (win 7) first, followed by win 10.

Given the effort are you sure you do not want to try the apps first?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Just run setup.exe from within Windows 7. Do not boot the computer from the flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Feb 1, 2017
  5. glnz Win User
    glnz, Feb 1, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm sorry, what I meant was insert the Windows 7 installation DVD or USB flash drive and run setup.exe from that from within Windows 7. You can get Windows 7 ISO files with SP2 using the tool from here:
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

With the ISO file you can just use a program like WinCDEmu to mount it in Windows 7 and run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...

NavyLCDR, Feb 1, 2017
  7. glnz Win User
    Navy -

I've been doing some more reading about "non-destructive repair" if I end up trying it. There are two possible issues before I even get started.

First - I've succeeded in downloading a Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file from Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool, but that source and some other folks warn that, on my Dell system, I might need the "COEM" version and not the plain version. What do you think? My machine is a Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower - see my specs below - and I originally installed the Win 7 from an extra Dell CD that Dell was kind enough to send me (not from a plain vanilla Microsoft CD).

Second - before I do anything with the Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file, should I first try to use NTLite (for the first time ever) to integrate into the Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file the updates that Ed Bott recommends at Four steps to reduce the pain of Windows 7 installations using cumulative updates - Tech Pro Research ?

Third - if your answer to "Second" is yes, please note how Ed recommends first installing KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and then installing his others. I've never used NTLite, but I'm guessing it doesn't work in stages (or does it)? How do I do things in the order Ed Bott recommends?

Thanks !!!

glnz, Feb 2, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Since you are doing an in place upgrade repair, it should not matter that the original installation was done with the OEM provided disc. The only thing is if it asks you for a product key when you run setup.exe then you should stop, because that is a problem.

If you were doing a clean install - the vanilla Windows 7 setup would ask for a product key. Then you would have to enter the product key found on the COA sticker which should be on the computer somewhere. If you use the OEM supplied disc, that has the Windows 7 license built into it that will only work with that make and model of computer.

I can't comment on NTLite, have never used it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 2, 2017
  9. Comp Cmndo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Repair ONLY Win 7 in dual-boot Win 7 and 10 PC? Both Pro 64-bit - Similar Threads - Repair dual boot

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: I'll be receiving a new computer with Win 10 Pro as my computer w/ Windows 7 Pro crashed. I'd like to take the hard drive with Windows 7 Pro and install it into the new one to have dual booting. Any problem doing that and what steps are needed? Thank you....
  4. Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit

Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 both 64 bit: Though this question has been put up many times earlier but one thing is not clear. I have independently installed Win 7 and Win 10 on separate hard disks. When I installed Win 7, the Win 10 hard disk was not attached. In the same way when I installed Win 10, the Win 7 hard...
  5. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: Hi All, nice to be on board. I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream, Win 10 Pro installed first (through upgrade a few months back) and then I created a separate partition and successfully...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  9. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  10. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...