Windows 10: How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media

Discus and support How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; While you can use SFC, DISM, Reset & Cloud Reset options; today we show you how you can also replace a corrupt or missing system file with a good file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 5, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media

While you can use SFC, DISM, Reset & Cloud Reset options; today we show you how you can also replace a corrupt or missing system file with a good file using the Windows 10 Installation Media.

How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media replace-bad-system-file-good-file-Windows.jpg

Replace Bad System File with Good File using Installation Media

At times a particular system file may get corrupted and result in an unstable system and sometimes a BSOD. Things can get worse, and the only option you may feel is reinstalling the OS.

However, it is possible to restore corrupted files using the Windows 10 Installation media. It is important that you know the exact path of the system file before we go ahead. If you do not know it, searching for it using Bing or Google might be a good idea.

Prepare your Windows 10 Installation Media by downloading the ISO from the Microsoft website.

Next, boot into the BIOS, and set the first bootable drive as the USB or Flash Storage. Save and exit the BIOS/UEFI.

Insert your installation media and restart your computer. You should now see a Windows 10 Setup screen.

Choose the Repair option, and you will be taken to the Advanced Recovery screen.

Select Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.

How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media Command-Prompt-Advanced-Recovery-Windows10.jpg

Assuming you want to replace ntfs.sys which is located in the System32\Drivers folder, execute the commands in the following sequence. You will have to choose x86 or x64 depending on your computer’s architecture.

cd c:\windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

copy <USB Driver Letter>:\x64\Sources\ntfs.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers

Since we have removed the old file, it will not ask for any permission to overwrite.

Repeat the same for any other file which is missing, and then exit.

Restart the computer, and check if still get the file missing or a corrupt error.

There is one thing you need to take care of. Some system files change depending on the version of the OS. So make sure you copy the file from the same version of Windows 10 ISO. If you need files from a different version instead of the latest version, you can download any other version of Windows or you may download any exe, dll, etc, OS files from Microsoft.

This is a lot easier than running long SFC and DISM commands if you know how to use this.

PS: Did you know? You can also scan & repair a single file using System File Checker.

How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media replace-bad-system-file-good-file-Windows.jpg
    This article How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 5, 2021
  2. FreddyAk Win User

Windows 10 installation file system

Hello I installed windows 10 on pendrive 3,75 gb with ntfs system file using ultraISO. I read on internet that it is required to use fat32 if you have uefi mobo which I do (msi b85m-g43). So far my system is working just fine except after boot screen the background doesnt dissapear, insted windows 10 loading circle on little black background appears and then it goes to welcome screen. Everythings else is fine so far. May this problem be caused by file system ? Or could it done any other problems I dont see?

Well Nevermind. It seems like program formatted pendrive to fat32 and I didnt see it.

FreddyAk, May 5, 2021
  3. Windows corrupt file How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media :p

That above, especially the latter/2nd system of 6 steps, SHOULD work!

*Smile How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media :)

* Good luck, let us know how it goes...

APK

Alec§taar, May 5, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media - Similar Threads - replace Bad System

2. Anyone Using BlueMail for Windows? good WLM replacement?

in Browsers and Email
    Anyone Using BlueMail for Windows? good WLM replacement?: To my surprise a search of the Forum found no hits for BlueMail at all, I use it on my Android Phone, and think I might finally need a replacement for WLM ( to my chagrin ) as it is not handling newer HTML Mails well eg links to Google Drive Folders etc, but wonder if it is...
  3. Is Windows to go a good replacement for installing Windows on a HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Windows to go a good replacement for installing Windows on a HDD?: I want to wipe my hard drive and install another OS, but there are still some programs that only work on Windows. I found out about Windows to go and I was wondering if it could be good for basic tasks and some small games. 180018
  4. Is Windows to go a good replacement for installing Windows on a HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows to go a good replacement for installing Windows on a HDD?: I want to wipe my hard drive and install another OS, but there are still some programs that only work on Windows. I found out about Windows to go and I was wondering if it could be good for basic tasks and some small games. 180018
  5. Installation Media File System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation Media File System: Greetings, I have been trying various ways to setup a flash drive to install Windows. The goal is to create a flash drive which will boot into Legacy BIOS and/or UEFI. Reading about this topic (yes...I realize a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that's why I'm here...
  6. So how are you supposed to delete files? If it can be used by good guys, bad guys can use...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So how are you supposed to delete files? If it can be used by good guys, bad guys can use...: submitted by /u/-_-qarmah-_- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhb10a/so_how_are_you_supposed_to_delete_files_if_it_can/
  7. File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  8. How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer: Hello all, my first post here, since it seems IMPOSSIBLE to google up anything useful about this question. I'm not exactly sure whether I'm in the correct subforum, but it did say "tweaks" which seems to fit. I can't help starting with a little rant, distasteful as it may...
  9. How to replace system file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to replace system file?: I have a major problem on my desktop Win 10 Pro X64 computer. I won't go into all the detail since I'm still problem solving on my own. However, I do need help with one issue so I can continue problem solving. Part of the problem is that my mouse is not working and it...
  10. How to install a file into the system 32 file

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install a file into the system 32 file: I need to install the file MSVCR71 into the system 32 file so that I can install a viewer to view some CT and MRI disc of my spine. I have downloaded the file on to my computer so I have it ready to install. 57698