Windows 10: How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy?

Discus and support How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC with minimal programs. So when I started having 100% CPU usage I was suspicious. I run a word processor and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Artur Püdel, Apr 29, 2019.

1. How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy?

I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC with minimal programs. So when I started having 100% CPU usage I was suspicious. I run a word processor and Firefox. That really doesn't deserve 100% CPU usage. So Task Manager told me that COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) was the culprit. I investigated. Dllhost.exe was in the proper folder. People said that COM Surrogate was a frequent target of malware. Could be, though I have a decent, active anti-virus program and don't hang around suspicious websites.

So I just stopped the COM Surrogate process, and - VOILA! - CPU problem disappeared. I see no reason to waste time trying to find the specific malware involved. I would just like to delete my current copy of dllhost.exe and replace it with a version I know to be clean. Can this be downloaded by itself from Microsoft?

Thanks in advance for any reasonable help!

:)

Artur Püdel, Apr 29, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 29, 2019
  4. 333t Win User

How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy?

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

Thema:

How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy?

1. How to replace bad Dllhost.exe with a clean copy? - Similar Threads - replace bad Dllhost

2. How to install a clean copy of Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install a clean copy of Win10: I've created the MS Media Creation USB and when I boot it I only see the circulating Media Creation dots and no installation tools appear.Thus far I've changed my American megatrend ASUS Debluxe-Dual CMOS to only boot from the USB device that the Media Creation tool was put...
  3. Copy and Replace Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  4. Copy and Replace Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  5. Is it possible to "Copy & Replace"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to "Copy & Replace": Hello, I thought this is how copy/paste used to work but it has not for a while. I have 2 HDDs with some of the same files on each. I want to copy the files from 1 HDD to the other and if the same file name is found, replace it with the one being copied. This is very...
  6. rundll32.exe replacement?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    rundll32.exe replacement?: This morning MalwareBytes started throwing flags that rundll32.exe (in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe) was trying to open blocked websites marked as a trojan. Unfortunately, neither Avast, MalwareBytes, or Microsoft Defender think it's an infected file and using sfc/scannow...
  7. splwow64.exe - Bad Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    splwow64.exe - Bad Image: I have an splwow64.ex - Bad Image error that pops up every time I attempt to print or really do anything on the computer. I cannot close the box and it will not let me print or even shut my computer down. Please help....
  8. Problem with 1809 with copy an exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with 1809 with copy an exe: Hi guys , with the newest Windows update 1809 we have a problem with our programs. We have a program in C# with 4.5 Framework that copy a .exe in C:\Folder\Folder\ but in the 1809 update we are not able to do that copy. With 1803 the .exe file are copied. What's Securty...
  9. ???.exe - Bad image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ???.exe - Bad image: When trying to install a program, I get a pop up window "Windows\System32\DNSAPI.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error". How to fix?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-bad-image/e6a912d0-052e-4d57-b2ef-addf81cc1365
  10. Clean an exe file, MicrosoftSecurityEssentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clean an exe file, MicrosoftSecurityEssentials: Is is possible to force MSE to attempt cleaning of a file & not delete / quarantine. or is it already try to clean ? & takes next step. ? I have a win32 exe file I know works ok (used on offline test machine then restore image) but I cannot find a good copy of the...
Tags: