Windows 10: How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop

Discus and support How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there! After discovering how much faster SSD's can perform compared to HDD's, I decided to take my SSD out of my old, broken laptop and install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChancellorWells, Jan 18, 2020.

1. How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop

Hello there! After discovering how much faster SSD's can perform compared to HDD's, I decided to take my SSD out of my old, broken laptop and install Windows 10 on it to replace my even older but still working desktop's HDD.

My desktop was custom built by a friend of a friend who was kind enough to let me have it after buying a new PC, so I know very little about it's hardware except that it has Phoenix Tech firmware and is x64 capable. It has a SATA cable already built into the power supply and connected to the motherboard as well. I can't say whether all the components are from the same time, but the BIOS is from 2009.

After testing the SSD's functionality with my PC running Windows 10 from my HDD using the SATA cable, I found all my old files still there and was able to interact with them and run .exe programs from it without issue. I decided it would be a pretty straightforward process to install my OS on it, so I backed up all the files I wanted to keep from both drives onto an external HD and wiped my SSD clean.

Unfortunately there were corrupted files and sectors left on it, so ran ran chkdsk to scan and repair the SSD. It took around 24 hours, but it finally finished and no problems were detected. I then reformatted the drive and attempted another install with a USB containing Windows 10.

Everything was going as expected until I got an error message "Windows cannot install the required files. Error code: 0x80070570". I've read of many possible solutions and after having no success yet, I have run into an issue. That is, I've read that my SATA configuration may need to be changed from IDE to AHCI by booting into the BIOS and changing it from there. However, there is no option to switch to AHCI. All I found was an option to enable RAID. Is this something I should go ahead and enable? If so, where should I go from there? As I mentioned, I don't know much about this PC except that it has a whopping 2 GB of RAM wouldn't it be nice to have an SSD to help compensate for that?, runs with dual core AMD Athlon x250's and Radeon HD5450 graphics. Any feedback or suggestions on how to get my PC OS running from the SSD would be greatly appreciated!

Also, in case it's relevant, my SSD was running on an Asus laptop with an Intel i3 and running Windows 7. Thanks in advance!

:)

ChancellorWells, Jan 18, 2020

2. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Jan 18, 2020
  3. SSD disappeared and laptop acting weird after HDD replacement?

Hi!

Long story short (can give more details if it helps), started hearing sounds from laptop and correctly guessed hard disk was in danger of failing. Got it to the repair people before it failed, who copied my data to an external, then replaced my 1TB HDD with
    a 500GB HDD.

I've got a few more issues, but the simplest to answer would be... is it normal that I'm not seeing the second drive (D:/) that I used to have? Replacing the HDD and therefore reinstalling windows 10 shouldn't have messed with the SSD, right? And I'm guessing
    unless they physically took it out of the laptop (doubtful), it should still be there. However, laptop can't see it in Disk Management. Currently there's:

1. C: - about 465GB
    2. Disk 0 partition 3 - 100MB
    3. System reserved - 549MB

The original specifications say "128GB PCIe SSD" - where did it go?!

Thanks How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop :(

WannabeTechie2, Jan 18, 2020
  4. How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop

1. How to replace desktop HDD with a SSD from my broken laptop - Similar Threads - replace desktop HDD

2. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  3. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  4. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  6. HDD replacement with SSD

HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  7. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  8. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  9. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  10. Replacing my HDD with SSD?

Replacing my HDD with SSD?: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. Last year I upgraded to i7-6700 and 16GB of RAM (Crucial.) Now I would like to add a SSD and 2 TB data HDD. I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive that my PC came with in June of 2016. So my question is, how do I upgrade the HDD and...