Windows 10: How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

Discus and support How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a HP laptop, Model 17z with Windows 10 Home edition. It has a 1 TB HDD which is a 2.5 inch SATA drive, model: WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 I plan to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10user1010, Mar 2, 2021.

1. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

This is a HP laptop, Model 17z with Windows 10 Home edition.

It has a 1 TB HDD which is a 2.5 inch SATA drive, model: WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0

I plan to replace with same size 1 TB SATA SSD

I also have a "USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable w/UASP" which has a USB 3.0 A on one end and a SATA 7+15 pin on the other end.

What is the easiest way to replace the HDD with SSD?

If I connect the new SSD to this cable, then run the Microsoft Windows Backup will it create an exact image of the entire HDD onto the SSD with all partions?

Then when i physically replace the HDD with SSD and power up it will work as before?

Or do I have to find a separate large enough USB drive to put the backup on and then restore from that?

thanks for your response

best

:)

win10user1010, Mar 2, 2021

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Mar 2, 2021
  4. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

1. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - replace HDD SSD

2. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  4. HDD replacement with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  5. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  6. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home: This is a HP laptop, Model 17z with Windows 10 Home edition. It has a 1 TB HDD which is a 2.5 inch SATA drive, model: WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 I plan to replace with same size 1 TB SATA SSD I also have a "USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable w/UASP" which has a USB 3.0 A on one...
  7. replacing a windows 10 home HDD with a windows 10 Pro HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    replacing a windows 10 home HDD with a windows 10 Pro HDD: I have a new Lenovo laptop with windows 10 pro installed which I have personalized and been using over the last month. However, I need to trade/replace this computer for almost the same exact laptop different screen resolution, different cpu, however the HDD has windows 10...
  8. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing HDD with a SSD: Hi, I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB Below is the one I think should be fine for the task: Amazon link What are the things I should take into consideration while...
  10. Replacing HDD with SSD Windows 10 license

Replacing HDD with SSD Windows 10 license: I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 on it. I would like to replace the HDD with an SSD with a clean install, rather than clone the HDD. Will I lose my Windows 10 license or will I be able to install Windows 10 and activate the copy? Thank you....