Windows 10: How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

Discus and support How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sebastián De la Peña, Mar 27, 2023.

1. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the new HDD in my hands. I plan to put it in an external case and connect it to my laptop via USB and somehow install the same Windows that my laptop is using currently.Kind of when you do a reset but instead, install the system in the new HDD. After that happens, turn the laptop off, open it, take the old HDD out, install the

:)

Sebastián De la Peña, Mar 27, 2023

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Mar 27, 2023
  3. Can i install windows 10 to a new hdd and reactivate it in that new hdd.

I am replacing my internal hdd where the windows 10 is installed. So is it possible to replace the old hdd with a new hdd and still retain the activation?

Vikrant17_, Mar 27, 2023
  4. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

External HDD or Internal HDD?

I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd *Smile How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD? :)

omiknight52, Mar 27, 2023
Thema:

How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

1. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD? - Similar Threads - replace internal HDD

2. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?: Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the...
  3. How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace internal HDD? How to Install Windows to a new external HDD?: Hello guys!I have to replace my HDD as is faulty. How do I do this?How do I install Windows to the new HDD using my same laptop? Before I open it and physically replace it??Full picture:I've got a laptop with a faulty HDD that is going out.I'm buying a new HDDWhen I get the...
  4. How to install Windows 10 on external HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install Windows 10 on external HDD: Hello, I have an external HDD. I want to install Windows 10 Enterprise which I have purchased recently. Please guide me, if possible step by step on how to install Windows 10 on external HDD. Thanks, Siddarth Hegde...
  5. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  6. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  7. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  8. How to initialize external HDD??

How to initialize external HDD??: I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before all this happened I had...
  9. How to initialize external HDD??

How to initialize external HDD??: Since I put vmWare 10 on my laptop , my external HDD wont initialize. it says its there but when i try to initialize it tells me my drive is too small for GPT, Its 500gb. When I installed VMWare i might have had the external connected and i believe i opted for to split...
  10. how to access documents on internal hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    how to access documents on internal hdd: May I ask a question on behalf of my son Please. He has just updated his desktop from windows 7 to windows 10,All went fine. The only issue that he has,He has all the documents photos etc on a second internal hdd and the C drive has only the Windows ten operating system....