Windows 10: How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account

Discus and support How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; At some point one of my siblings logged onto their Microsoft account from my PC, and for some reason it attached their email to my local user account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by InFamousAnthuny, Jan 14, 2020.

1. How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account

At some point one of my siblings logged onto their Microsoft account from my PC, and for some reason it attached their email to my local user account instead of my actual email.
    https://i.imgur.com/6ES1gy0.png

Now I can't remove their email and I can't make mine the primary email.
    https://i.imgur.com/WTaWIwO.png

:)

InFamousAnthuny, Jan 14, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

different user accounts, only one email address?

Hi Geoff, welcome to the Ten Forums.

In Windows 10 it is not possible to use the same MS account for more than one user account on the same computer. If User-A signs in with an MS account User-A@AnyEmail.com, that MS account (email address) cannot be used to sign in any other user than User-A. User-B needs to use either a different MS account or a local account. However, you can use the same MS account on multiple computers.

There's no way to work around this restriction.

In your case I would simply install Windows 10 on both computers with a local admin account, then create an additional standard user account as an MS account on both computers using the same email address. If any of the two computers requires the gaming account, too, as you explained I would make this account a local account.

Tutorials:

3. How to change email address associated with a local user account

I have two local user accounts on my Windows 10 workstation, let's call them 'A' and 'B'. Each of these user accounts have valid separate Microsoft online accounts, let's call them 'X' and 'Y' respectively, however these Microsoft accounts were deliberately
    not used or associated with the local accounts during their creation.

User 'A' has the primary email account 'X' associated with it, as displayed in 'Your Info'. User 'B' was also (incorrectly and unintentionally) updated so it is now also associated with the primary email account 'X'. Therefore, now both local user accounts
    are trying to connect to Microsoft account 'X' to sync, which is obviously not desired.

What I am wanting to do is to change the email address associated with the local user account 'B' to use email address 'Y' instead of 'X', without having to delete and recreate the local user account.
    I can't add an alias or any other convoluted solution to the Microsoft online accounts as both X & Y accounts are still valid are meant to be separate so making changes to the respective accounts online doesn't make any sense. I can add email account
    'Y' to the list in "Accounts used by other apps" but cannot remove account 'X' from the list. I also can find no way to change the email address in the 'sync your settings' options.

For some strange reason there appears to be no logical way to do this. I have tried a few changes in the registry, however, they did not persist so I am guessing the changes are required elsewhere.
    What am I missing, because I expected this to be a reasonably simple problem to resolve?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

iwalkinshadow, Jan 14, 2020
  4. How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account

Setting up a local user with out a email address

hey,
    • Open Settings
    • Accounts
    • Select Family and other users from the left
    • Add a family Member/someone else to this PC
    • You will be prompted to put email address.
    • Click on The person I want to add does not have an email address.
    • Next a signup screen would open.
    • Now click on "Add a user without a microsoft Account"(Local account).
    You are done.

hope it helps and do reply back for any questions.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account

1. How to Replace the Email Address Attached to Local User Account - Similar Threads - Replace Email Address

2. my pc is asking for a an email address and password as other user while am a local user how...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc is asking for a an email address and password as other user while am a local user how...: My product is a dell laptop service code is CYF9693 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-asking-for-a-an-email-address-and/f9d56cfc-85c4-463f-8fe9-bff459ba9a1d
  3. How do I replace an old email address on my account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I replace an old email address on my account: My email address was hacked and I can no longer reach it. I have a new email address but Microsoft says it will take a month to change it?Can anyone help me do this sooner?ThanksShane Devenshirerespond to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** *** Email address is...
  4. How do I replace an old email address on my account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I replace an old email address on my account: My email address was hacked and I can no longer reach it. I have a new email address but Microsoft says it will take a month to change it?Can anyone help me do this sooner?ThanksShane Devenshirerespond to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** *** Email address is...
  5. How Does One Replace an Old Email Address with a New Email Address?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Does One Replace an Old Email Address with a New Email Address?: have: W10 homescenario: i changed my email address to a new address and deleted/deactivated the previous address. issue: now i'm bombarded with an account error message old discontinued email address is displayed which i cannot stop from popping up. objective: change email...
  6. Microsoft email attached to user accounts

Microsoft email attached to user accounts: Is there a way to change the email on the user account? Under settings -> Account -> Your info the name of the user is listed and under that is the email and under that is either Administrator or Local account. I would like to change the email associated with the account...
  7. Local account stuck to wrong email address

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local account stuck to wrong email address: Hello, this is a fun one and I have yet to find a solution. I miss the days of only local accounts on PCs before Microsoft accounts started getting mixed up with them. Wife's laptop was on a local Windows 10 account. Son logged into Xbox app to play Minecraft or something,...
  8. Cannot change email address for user account

Cannot change email address for user account: The email address no longer exists and it needs to be updated to new email address. The Manage option does not allow to change the email address associated with this user account. Someone with an authoritative solution Microsoft?, PLEASE. Why is something so simple...
  9. Can't remove email/Microsoft account attached to Local User Account

Can't remove email/Microsoft account attached to Local User Account: At some point one of my siblings logged onto their Microsoft account from my PC, and for some reason it attached their email to my local user account instead of my actual email. https://i.imgur.com/6ES1gy0.png Now I can't remove their email and I can't make mine the primary...
  10. different user accounts, only one email address?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    different user accounts, only one email address?: Hi I've got two computers running windows 7. Both have an administrator account and a standard user account. The computer I use for gaming has a third account for gaming (I have some older games that don't like the aero-peak feature so the gaming account uses a plain...