Windows 10: How To Rescue 'Unclean File System', 'Refuses to Mount' Disk?

Discus and support How To Rescue 'Unclean File System', 'Refuses to Mount' Disk? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My win10 system stopped again. It just wouldn't boot into it. I tried Kyhi and it wouldn't boot into it, either. I tried a win10 rescue disk and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Jun 25, 2020.

1. abrogard Win User

How To Rescue 'Unclean File System', 'Refuses to Mount' Disk?

My win10 system stopped again. It just wouldn't boot into it. I tried Kyhi and it wouldn't boot into it, either. I tried a win10 rescue disk and it wouldn't boot into it, either.

So I removed the disk - the system disk, of course, is what I'm talking about, all other disks I've detached already - and I tried a boot from the Kyhi USB. It booted fine.

I tried a boot from a ubuntu usb. It booted fine.

So I took the disk over to another machine - win10 - and put it on the sata chain right at the end and tried to boot. The system would not boot. Circling dots forever.

Took it off: system booted fine.

So I put it on a Mint box I have and that booted and saw the disk but when I tried to read the disk I got a message that the disk contained an unclean file system and refused to mount.

I googled as much as I could and what I got was something to do with the disk being in hybernation maybe and it all having something to do perhaps with windows going down at the wrong time.

Suggested fix being to boot into windows and do a complete shutdown.

But: I can't boot into windows with this disk in the system.

So that's where I'm stuck. How to fix this disk? Anyone know? There's no normal access to it from Mint because it 'refuses to mount' and there's no access to it from Windows because I can't even get a windows system to boot up while that thing is there.

It's a puzzler. Any ideas?

:)

abrogard, Jun 25, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error when mounting ISO files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand when you are trying to delete/rename/move the ISO files after mounting it you get an error message. It could be possible that the ISO file is mounted and that is the reason you are unable to modify it.

I suggest you to eject the ISO file and then try to modify it. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane, you will find the mounted ISO file.
    3. Right click on the ISO file and click on Eject. Try modifying the ISO file now.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Unknown file system grub rescue

Hi,

I have the same error as described here: Error unknown file system grub rescue

But the resolution steps did not help.

I have a dual-boot system (win10 + ubuntu).

When I tried the repair procedure I got "windows cannot fix your issue" with two options - troubleshoot again (which doesn't do anything different) or shut down.

I'm unable to do anything from here.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

BR,

Milena

MilenaBaldzhiyska, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Error mounting .ISO files in Windows 10

Hi,

There are several reasons why you are having issues mounting ISO files on your Windows 10 Home computer. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you tried mounting the ISO files on another computer?
    • Have you tried copying the ISO file to your desktop and mount it from there?
    • Do you have a CD/DVD drive installed on your computer?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. How To Rescue 'Unclean File System', 'Refuses to Mount' Disk? - Similar Threads - Rescue 'Unclean File

2. Unable to Find Mounted Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Find Mounted Disk: I recently started learning about Hyper-V and decided to give it a try! But unfortunately when experimenting with file transfer from host to virtual machine. While trying to find a solution for sharing files over the main disk into a virtual one. It just gives me the same...
  3. Windows refused to mount Windows in Hibernated state

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows refused to mount Windows in Hibernated state: Hi folks Those of you trying to mount Windows partition on a Linux VM (or Host) and you get a message :Mounting volume... Windows is hibernated, refused to mount. FAILED To fix (although you will lose anything in the hiberfile.sys --I don't hibernate Windows in any case so...
  4. Unknown file system grub rescue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unknown file system grub rescue: Hi, I have the same error as described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-unknown-file-system-grub-rescue/f796ef11-6edf-4593-98bc-e55fd2517e9c But the resolution steps did not help. I have a dual-boot system win10 + ubuntu. When I tried the...
  5. How to make a Windows PE Rescue Disk

in Windows 10 News
    How to make a Windows PE Rescue Disk: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A Windows PE based Rescue Disk extends Windows OS recovery functionality, adding free and open-source tools you can use to recover, restore, and analyze your ailing Windows 10 installation. In this post, we will show you how to make a [...] This post How to...
  6. Mounting file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting file: I bought a new desktop pc--Yeah! As instructed I downloaded all my old pc files to an external hard drive-- Fat32. When I try to open the files on my new pc, I am told "Couldn't mount file" and to use Disk Mgt snap-in---whatever that is. I am just trying to access my old...
  7. Rescue Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Rescue Disk: Hello, Does this place have any windows 10 rescue disk or on a usb stick? I want to have a windows 10 plus rescue disk hopefully something free Thanks, P999
  8. Macrium rescue disk ...what is the total actual size of file???

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue disk ...what is the total actual size of file???: Just created a rescue disk for W10 on an 8GB sd card When I looked at the contents of the rescue files I noticed it was quite small Please see below images As I have not been able to find any info on what the actual size of the W10 PE image is, can someone chime in to...
  9. Win 10 Rescue disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Rescue disk: I have a new laptop with win 7 pro installed. Once Win 10 is installed in July how will I be able to create a system restore disk? 7496
  10. Help with rescue disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with rescue disk: i have had to restore Win 10 7 times since first install. just updated audio drivers, and lost internet connection, which is what always happens---seems to happen at almost any time it feels like it. Also lost Word and the templates it came with after first restore, When...