Windows 10: How to reset a local account password from an admin account

Discus and support How to reset a local account password from an admin account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do i change a local account’s password on a Windows 10 machine, using an Admin account? Last night, i changed the hours that the local account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by chinkle1, Mar 23, 2020.

1. chinkle1 Win User

How to reset a local account password from an admin account

How do i change a local account’s password on a Windows 10 machine, using an Admin account?

Last night, i changed the hours that the local account could log on. This morning, we discovered that the password and security questions must have also been changed dont know how because the values no longer work. But i can still log into the Admin account, and i want to use it to change the local account password.

:)

chinkle1, Mar 23, 2020

2. Lost password on an Old Account, any way to merge accounts?

Site was pwnd not so long ago resulting in a general member password reset
    so unless you reset your password since then your old account password wont work.
    Try contacting one of the admins to see if they can help you out

dorsetknob, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Cannot access my User Account on local machine but can access Admin account. Need help finding password but NOT reset it as it will delete saved data.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you reset the local account password it will not delete the Saved data.

I suggest you to back up the saved data and files from the admin account and try to reset the password and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

• Press Windows + R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Reset Password.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Local Admin account password changed to unknown

First of all, but this is a wild shot in the dark, some people have found that they went online to an MS service such as the Windows store and signed in but doing so converted the user account they happened to be logged into at the time into an MSAccount-linked account. So, if your sign-in failure gets annotated with a link to reset the password, follow it through

• If it leads to an attempt to reset your MSAccount password then you will know that the user account has been converted.
    • If it leads to being told to put in your password reset disk you will know that the user account remains a local user account.

If this is not the solution & your user account remains a local user account then I think you are going to have to
    1 restore the system image you referred to, or
    2 reinstall Windows 10, or
    3 take your computer to a local computer technician who might use unorthodox methods to gain entry & reset your password. You will have to make sure this is somebody you can trust because the procedure used will give them unfettered access to the whole of your computer.

Denis

Thema:

1. How to reset a local account password from an admin account - Similar Threads - reset local account

2. Resetting admin password/account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting admin password/account.: Me and a business partner are logged out of our Microsoft account post update I think and can't login. Trying to reset password as current login details are not being accepted, but requires administrator to do this. However we can't log in as administrator either. How do we...
  3. Resetting admin password/account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting admin password/account.: Me and a business partner are logged out of our Microsoft account post update I think and can't login. Trying to reset password as current login details are not being accepted, but requires administrator to do this. However we can't log in as administrator either. How do we...
  4. WDAGUtilityAccount is Admin account & password reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WDAGUtilityAccount is Admin account & password reset.: I have been attempting to help a family member with a used laptop they purchased. They reset and forgot the password and have not been able to get back in. We have attempted to go through safe mode, reset the laptop it went straight back to the login screen instead of an...
  5. Reset local account password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset local account password.: I want to login with my microsoft account on a laptop. But I can´t since I need to know my dead stepfathers local account password. I know the pin number. Tried for hours to get in contact with microsoft support. But it is impossible to reach a human....
  6. How to reset Admin account - forgot password!

How to reset Admin account - forgot password!: Hi all,I completely forgot my windows admin account password, less than three months after creating it.How on earth can I reset it?Do I have to back everything up and basically wipe the entire computer just to get administrative privileges back?Or is there an easier...
  7. How to reset Windows 10 Admin password using local account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset Windows 10 Admin password using local account: I forgot Admin password and unable to reset the password for the same by using local account in Windows 10, please help to resolve the issue...
  8. Password reset for local account

Password reset for local account: I changed the password on a local account and can not log in. How can I reset it if I can not get past the sign on screen? If I try the reset password option, it tells me to insert a USB drive. I did not set up the computer in the beginning, and no reset disc was made. Can I...
  9. Reset sign-in password admin account from a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset sign-in password admin account from a local account: Hi. I have a problem.. My password from admin account has changed without my permission. Do you know how to reset it? I have a local account if this can help.....
  10. Reset Local Account Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset Local Account Password: After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I would like to be able to login locally again. How to achieve that? I have only found ways to reset the Microsoft account...