Windows 10: How to reset an old, 4 year old password

Discus and support How to reset an old, 4 year old password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I want to get my files off an old Hard Drive from an XPS PC 8830 I think. But, I have zero idea what the password is. I tried to reset password from... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ChrisSa1, Mar 28, 2020.

1. ChrisSa1 Win User

How to reset an old, 4 year old password

I want to get my files off an old Hard Drive from an XPS PC 8830 I think.

But, I have zero idea what the password is.

I tried to reset password from the Command Prompt from a new Window 10 USB installer, to access the Command Prompt.

But, it won't work because x:sources something, something: net user profile name here password

"The command has returned with one or more errors"

I do net users, but don't see the profile name.

So, this brings 2 questions:

Is there a non-hackary-software-installing method? Through the Command Prompt?

Or

B:

Can I connect my old HDD to the new PC.

And hopefully the W10 from old pc will be replaced by new W10. And all the files are still intact where I can open, view, or whatever?

I have several programs on said drive as well, from Steam to Chrome to all my Graphic Art programs.

Are there any options here?

And yes, I'm the original owner and holder of this PC if anybody was/is asking.

:)

ChrisSa1, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Bob Marks Win User

Reuse/Reset an old Password

Thanks for your quick response. But my problem is that M.S. says old password con not be used. I want to switch back to my old password. I think I need to contact M.S. to clear the registry for my passwords. Then, I will be able to switch back.

Bob Marks, Mar 28, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Mar 28, 2020
  4. How to reset an old, 4 year old password

Reuse/Reset an old Password

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know how are you trying to change the Password? Using web base browser or mail client?

For now let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. I suggest you to open the outlook.com web page on the browser and log-in using the working password. Now try changing the password from the change password option and check if it helps.

• Click on the Gear and click Option.
    • Click on Account details (Password, addresses, time zone) and click on
      Security & Privacy.
    • Click on Change password and provide the credential and change the password.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

How to reset an old, 4 year old password

1. How to reset an old, 4 year old password - Similar Threads - reset old old

2. I need help resetting my 75 year old fathers password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help resetting my 75 year old fathers password: Despite the sheer frustration with the "support" options I will do my best to be civil. I have been trying to have my fathers password reset for Microsoft live so he can activate his email on his new phone and activate his new computer. He is unable to remember his password...
  3. I need help resetting my 75 year old fathers password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need help resetting my 75 year old fathers password: Despite the sheer frustration with the "support" options I will do my best to be civil. I have been trying to have my fathers password reset for Microsoft live so he can activate his email on his new phone and activate his new computer. He is unable to remember his password...
  4. I need help resetting my 75 year old fathers password

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I have a password i want to reset to a old password is it possible to retake a old password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a password i want to reset to a old password is it possible to retake a old password: I have a bug in my pc that it reset my pc i can solve the problem but i went to change my password and later i went to retake my old password i it says that i can retake it because its a old password can i just retake my old password ?...
  6. I have a password i want to reset to a old password is it possible to retake a old password

I have a password i want to reset to a old password is it possible to retake a old password: I have a bug in my pc that it reset my pc i can solve the problem but i went to change my password and later i went to retake my old password i it says that i can retake it because its a old password can i just retake my old password ?...
  7. old passwords

old passwords: i need to find an old password that is used to use for another webiste both that website and my microsoft account at the time had the same password is there a way to see my previous passwords i have used on this account no, i do have the password for this account its not the...
  8. old password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    old password: Old computer will not let me in. says I need old password. How do I open the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-password/8c3e65eb-d347-4a2f-8cdf-7950e0967cfa
  9. 80 year old Father forgot his password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    80 year old Father forgot his password: I purchased my 80 year old father a new desktop HP with · Windows 10 Home 64· 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor He set it up without me being there and it asked him to set a password on the screen saver… Which he did… Problem is the password he wrote down and...
  10. Old Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old Password: I have an older Laptop running Win 10. I wish to give to my grandson. My password must be an older MS account password because it doesn't accept my current MS password and I don't have a password disk for the older password. Need Help...