Windows 10: How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10

Discus and support How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you changed the navigation pane width in File Explorer on Windows 10, and you want to now get it back to the default width, […] This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 20, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10

WinClub, May 20, 2020
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

Pane Spacing and Width - File Explorer

Pane Spacing and Width

When I open my Documents folder, the left pane shows my File Explorer listings and the right pane list my documents.

Is there a method to decrease the width of my right pane and increase the width of my left pane?

Thanks,

Jerry

4/29/17

Jerry8AB, May 20, 2020
  3. Phil D Win User
    File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10 [​IMG]

to this:

How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, May 20, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

How to get horiz scrolling in Navigation Pane in Win 10 Explorer

Welcome to TenForums @linuxgarou

One suggestion would be to hover the mouse over the dividing line between the navigation pane and the list of files (it's the right-hand edge of the navigation pane's vertical scroll bar). When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow you can click-and-drag to make the navigation pane wider.

I have mine set to about twice the width of the one in your screenshot.

Edit: and so apparently does Ztrucker in the following post.

Thema:

1. How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - reset File Explorer

2. Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11: In the newest version of file explorer the Navigation Pane far left column in File Explorer has been shrunk to a small width. As a result, folder names are cut off half way, and its made navigation to file difficult.In previous versions you could fix that by simply dragging...
  3. Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11: In the newest version of file explorer the Navigation Pane far left column in File Explorer has been shrunk to a small width. As a result, folder names are cut off half way, and its made navigation to file difficult.In previous versions you could fix that by simply dragging...
  4. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  5. WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.: In File Explorer - I have a OneDrive Picture folder. I have a This PC Picture folder. They are the same - and I can understand that. BUT I also have a Local Disk/Users/Bill/Picture folder. This is different. I am the only user of the laptop. I thought maybe This PC was just...
  6. WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane.: I'm baffled by WIndows 10, File Explorer, Navigation Pane. This morning I had a "Picture" folder - appearing under "This PC" and "Local Disk C" - located in C/User/Bill. I then set my picture folder to backup to OneDrive. Suddenly my "Picture" folder has been put in a...
  7. File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed: Hello! First time posting here. I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists. I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default: [img]...
  8. Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer You can use the navigation pane in File Explorer to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC,...
  9. increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane: OK, now on to the second question of the day. The width of the Navigation Pane of File Explorer needs to be increase so that I can see the complete entries -- they show only about 9 or 10 characters. Many of the names contain more that that. Is there any way I can widen...
  10. Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows: How to: Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows How to Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows [img] Information You can use the navigation pane to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and...