Windows 10: How to reset file types back to default?

Discus and support How to reset file types back to default? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, im curious on how to reset all file types back to default in windows 10? 178249 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Doominator1990, May 4, 2021.

1. How to reset file types back to default?

Hi, im curious on how to reset all file types back to default in windows 10?

:)

Doominator1990, May 4, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How to reset file types back to default? [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How to reset file types back to default? [​IMG]

Bree, May 4, 2021
  3. reset system folder (windows) permission back to default / original state

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type File explorer options,Select it from the options
    • Click on Restore defaults.
    • Click Apply and OK.

Thanks,

Waseemulla S, May 4, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

How to reset file types back to default?

Bree, May 4, 2021
Thema:

How to reset file types back to default?

1. How to reset file types back to default? - Similar Threads - reset file types

2. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?: So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always open with " box and well it happened, all of my .exe files now wanted to open in google chrome. Now whenever I try to open a...
  3. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?: So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always open with " box and well it happened, all of my .exe files now wanted to open in google chrome. Now whenever I try to open a...
  4. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. default file type

default file type: By mistake I set a program as the default program for two file types. I do not wish to have that program set as the default. Also I do not need or want to any program as the default for these file types. How do I REMOVE a default program from a file type without setting...
  6. How to reset default file type.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset default file type.: I accidentally made it so .css opens in internet explorer, how do i make it go back to however .css would open? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-default-file-type/9cd5b0fa-894b-4413-b993-227cb3995e89
  7. Reset files and folders icon back to default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reset files and folders icon back to default: Hello, my name is Daniel and a friend of mine has recently told me to use custom desktop themes. So, from the image as you can see, I've done it. But the problem is, I wanted to bring it back to default. I have tried doing some research on google. I uninstalled the app that...
  8. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  9. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

in Windows 10 Support
    Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  10. Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows: How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP...