Windows 10: How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Discus and support How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ecce3238, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Ecce3238 Win User

How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I reset or revert back the icacls default permissions to administrator rights?

:)

Ecce3238, Jul 27, 2021

2. Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

• Before taking ownership of files and folders I would like to understand how to view the current permissions so that they may be reverted.
    • I am reciving an 'Access Denied' message to view or save permissions with elevated command prompt for location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData in Windows 10 enviroment.
    • It looks like that I may need to take ownership first, then can view the permissions, and use something like icacls 'reset' command to fix it afterwards.

If I try to view permissions:

If I try to save an ACL file:

In the answer to 'Understanding how to use Icals & Takeown' the owner of the folder was NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller which may infact may be a standard in Windows 10, though I am only guessing.

Should I just use takeown, and icals, find out the permissions and then use the reset command.

Likewise with the ACL, one would need to take ownership before creating, or is there a work around?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Permission denied as admin

Hi,

It's possible that you haven't taken ownership of the folder that you're trying to delete. So we can better assist with you with successfully taking ownership of the folders you want to delete, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Which Windows version are you using? Type winver on the search bar and press Enter to find out.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to the issue?
    • What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Anup Karkal in this
    thread.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Jul 27, 2021
  4. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

How to view permissions of Accessed Denied Folder in Windows 10

See - SO How do you run CMD.exe under the Local System Account?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Jul 27, 2021
Thema:

How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

1. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin. - Similar Threads - reset Icacls access

2. how to reset admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reset admin permissions: i was wondering how i reset admin permissions because i tried having it so you dont need an admin password now there is no admin and i cant apply anything to the cumputer. basically on the computer it has no admin so you cant add anything to it and im trying to figure out how...
  3. how to reset admin permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reset admin permissions: i was wondering how i reset admin permissions because i tried having it so you dont need an admin password now there is no admin and i cant apply anything to the cumputer. basically on the computer it has no admin so you cant add anything to it and im trying to figure out how...
  4. how to reset admin permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. local Admin access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    local Admin access denied: local Admin access is denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-admin-access-denied/bcd317bd-3be6-4344-a1e3-73cf0b65c8fe
  6. Access is denied: Admin reset password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access is denied: Admin reset password: I have 2 local user accounts in our new office PC, Senior and Junior users. I had the Senior account setup with password but forgot to tick the 'password never expires'. Meanwhile on the Junior account, I disabled its internet access by following a tutorial online about using...
  7. Access is denied: Admin reset password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access is denied: Admin reset password: I have 2 local user accounts in our new office PC, Senior and Junior users. I had the Senior account setup with password but forgot to tick the 'password never expires'. Meanwhile on the Junior account, I disabled its internet access by following a tutorial online about using...
  8. Access is denied: Admin reset password

9. Permission access to files denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  10. denies admin access for everything

denies admin access for everything: I am facing a issue in my pc, it asks me for admin access or denies me of admin access for literally everything. For example when i try to download something from my browser, it denies me of admin access and then I have to save it in a location other than desktop and then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

2. windows 10 icacls access debied

3. icacls access is denied cmd