Windows 10: How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Discus and support How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ecce3238, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Ecce3238 Win User

How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I reset or revert back the icacls default permissions to administrator rights?

:)

Ecce3238, Jul 27, 2021

2. Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

• Before taking ownership of files and folders I would like to understand how to view the current permissions so that they may be reverted.
    • I am reciving an 'Access Denied' message to view or save permissions with elevated command prompt for location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData in Windows 10 enviroment.
    • It looks like that I may need to take ownership first, then can view the permissions, and use something like icacls 'reset' command to fix it afterwards.

If I try to view permissions:

If I try to save an ACL file:

In the answer to 'Understanding how to use Icals & Takeown' the owner of the folder was NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller which may infact may be a standard in Windows 10, though I am only guessing.

Should I just use takeown, and icals, find out the permissions and then use the reset command.

Likewise with the ACL, one would need to take ownership before creating, or is there a work around?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Permission denied as admin

Hi,

It's possible that you haven't taken ownership of the folder that you're trying to delete. So we can better assist with you with successfully taking ownership of the folders you want to delete, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Which Windows version are you using? Type winver on the search bar and press Enter to find out.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to the issue?
    • What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Anup Karkal in this
    thread.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Jul 27, 2021
  4. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

How to view permissions of Accessed Denied Folder in Windows 10

See - SO How do you run CMD.exe under the Local System Account?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Jul 27, 2021
Thema:

How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

1. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin. - Similar Threads - reset Icacls access

2. Access denied. You need permission.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access denied. You need permission.: HI,I'm having issues in regards to transferring movie files to my external hard drive . Which is connected to my router. As a cheap alternative as a nas system.The problem is , I can't transfer the files. It says access denied . You need permission.I've tried all the usual...
  3. Permission access to files denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  4. denies admin access for everything

in Windows 10 Customization
    denies admin access for everything: I am facing a issue in my pc, it asks me for admin access or denies me of admin access for literally everything. For example when i try to download something from my browser, it denies me of admin access and then I have to save it in a location other than desktop and then...
  5. Access denied for windows admin components

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied for windows admin components: Access denied for mmc.exe, Device Manager,gpedit on my win 10. Admin is the only user. Error Message: "An administrator has blocked you from running this app for your protection" Switched the Smart Screen off - no outcome; On elevated command, tried to restore the...
  6. command prompt access denied as admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    command prompt access denied as admin: [ATTACH] my windows time sync service has stopped so i want to manually start the service but it doesnt allow me to "net start w32time" even if i am the only admin account in the windows. Any help would he highly appreciated....
  7. Permissions denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions denied: I reinstalled win 10 and since then I am not allowed to open folders. Each time I have to release access by opening Properties, etc. I am the administrator and I want to have full access to EVERYTHING. How should I proceed, please?*Mad 130871
  8. Permissions denied

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Permissions denied: I reinstalled win 10 and since then I am not allowed to open folders. Each time I have to release access by opening Properties, etc. I am the administrator and I want to have full access to EVERYTHING. How should I proceed, please?*Mad 130871
  9. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder: I am the Administrator of this computer but why won't windows 10 allow me to access users file folder? Getting confused. How do I get permission to open the USERS folder? By the way I'm using the NETWORK to access my other computers....
  10. Access denied, contact system admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied, contact system admin: I just have a (I hope) simple question. I upgraded to Windows 10, and now any time I create a new doc, new excel sheet, try to scan something in to folders I have spent moths setting up and organizing - all tell me "access denied", contact system Admin? WTF... I am the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com