Windows 10: How to reset login method from PIN back to password?

Discus and support How to reset login method from PIN back to password? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; After a recent Windows Update, my 90 year old mother lost access to her computer. On startup, the login screen now asks for a PIN, but she has never... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Craig98144, May 12, 2021.

1. How to reset login method from PIN back to password?

After a recent Windows Update, my 90 year old mother lost access to her computer. On startup, the login screen now asks for a PIN, but she has never set one. She knows her password, but there is no longer an option to enter it instead of a PIN. The only option is to reset a forgotten PIN, which then sends a code to an e-mail account that she cannot access - because she can't get onto her computer! She also no longer has the cell phone that she had when her account was set up, so sending a text message to that phone is also not an option.I tried going through the advanced trouble

:)

Craig98144, May 12, 2021
  2. scathed Win User

How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password

As helpful as this may be, removing the PIN option is not the same as setting password to always be the default method.

scathed, May 12, 2021
  3. How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password

do I need internet access to change the PIN login to password login? I purchased a barely used laptop with the previous owner's user name as administrator and PIN login. He gave me the PIN login and what he believed was the password he used but the steps
    you outlined don't work. I tried many times (without being connected to the internet) with no luck.

garryhercules, May 12, 2021
  4. How to reset login method from PIN back to password?

Windows 10 asking for login password even after upgrading the virus protection on the PC instead of PIN password. How to switch back to PIN password?

Hello Billy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you see Sign-in options option on the lock screen?
    • Are you using Microsoft account to login into the user profile?

If you have set an alpha-numeric password at the installation stage of Windows 10 OS and then changed the sign-in option to PIN password, you will be able to choose between the passwords entries at the login screen of the Windows.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if you see the
    Sign-in options option on the lock screen. If you do, click on the option and check if you can choose and enter PIN password to access your user profile.

Method 2: If the option is not presented on the lock screen and you are using Microsoft account to login into the user profile,
    I suggest you to change the login password from the link below and set PIN password to your user account by following the steps below.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Accounts from the options and click on
      Sign-in options
      from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Add under PIN settings, verify your account and setup a new PIN password for your user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 12, 2021
Thema:

How to reset login method from PIN back to password?

1. How to reset login method from PIN back to password? - Similar Threads - reset login method

2. PIN Unavailable, Password not recognized, Reset goes in a loop back to login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN Unavailable, Password not recognized, Reset goes in a loop back to login: I did a restart after an update. My PIN was no longer available Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. Of course, I click to set up PIN....Just a moment...I wait as the circles spin. Screen eventually returns to where I was before...
  3. Set Default Login Method to Password instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Default Login Method to Password instead of PIN: When I try to log into my laptop, I've always used my password. After I installed a recent update, sometimes I am asked for my PIN instead. This is absolutely not what I want, and I only added a pin because Office 365 suddenly demanded one. I know my PIN, but my hands...
  4. Set Default Login Method to Password instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Default Login Method to Password instead of PIN: When I try to log into my laptop, I've always used my password. After I installed a recent update, sometimes I am asked for my PIN instead. This is absolutely not what I want, and I only added a pin because Office 365 suddenly demanded one. I know my PIN, but my hands...
  5. Set Default Login Method to Password instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. is the answer in the thread "How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password" outdated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is the answer in the thread "How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password" outdated?: or even looking with bing search string" sign in to microsoft account windows 10 site:microsoft.com " it shows a screenshot with password icon on the right.BUTI do not have it anymore, I would like to get rid of PIN login and use only passwordit must be possible because in my...
  7. is the answer in the thread "How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password" outdated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is the answer in the thread "How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password" outdated?: or even looking with bing search string" sign in to microsoft account windows 10 site:microsoft.com " it shows a screenshot with password icon on the right.BUTI do not have it anymore, I would like to get rid of PIN login and use only passwordit must be possible because in my...
  8. is the answer in the thread "How to SWITCH login method from PIN to password" outdated?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN: A Window update today has locked me out of Windows 10. Was using a PIN to log in. Now it wants a password. Anything I try comes back as incorrect. On the 6th attempt at the password it appears as if it is going to work. Then after 30-60 seconds it comes backs as incorrect...
  10. Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN

in Windows 10 Support
    Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN: A Window update today has locked me out of Windows 10. Was using a PIN to log in. Now it wants a password. Anything I try comes back as incorrect. On the 6th attempt at the password it appears as if it is going to work. Then after 30-60 seconds it comes backs as incorrect...