Windows 10: How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10

Discus and support How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; This is a guide on how to reset or clear CMOS in a Windows computer. Sometimes, when your computer fails to boot or you face some other error, you may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 17, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10

This is a guide on how to reset or clear CMOS in a Windows computer. Sometimes, when your computer fails to boot or you face some other error, you may want to reset or clear CMOS in order to fix it. So, let us see how to do the same.

How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Clear or Reset CMOS

These are the ways by which you can reset or clear the CMOS of your computer.

1. Reset CMOS from BIOS
    2. Clear CMOS

Let us talk about them in detail.

1] Reset CMOS From BIOS

You can easily reset CMOS using the BIOS Menu. We are going to change all the BIOS settings to default in order to reset CMOS. Restart your computer and boot into BIOS.

When your computer starts, a screen will ask you to press a key in order to Boot into BIOS. The right key for your system could be F1, F2, F10, etc. – and it depends on your manufacturer. You may be able to see which key, in the bottom left or right side of your boot screen, when your computer is booting. So, make sure to pay close attention to the first screen that appears once you switch on your computer.

Once on the main screen, under the Exit tab (In the case of my HP PC) I could see a Load Setup Defaults option. You could select such a similar option on your system using the arrow keys and hit Enter. Or you could simply hit the F9 key to display a white screen that says Load default configuration now? Click on Yes.

Now, look for the option that has the word “default” in it. Usually, it is the button to reset your BIOS. Select it, save the changes (check your screen, you will see a key that you can press to save the settings), and exit BIOS.

2] Clear BIOS with Screwdriver or Jumper

If you cannot enter the BIOS setup during boot, follow the steps below to clear the CMOS. You may require the services of a hardware technician.

• Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
    • Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
    • Remove the computer cover.
    • Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder or connected to an onboard header with a wire.

If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and – on the battery. With a medium flat-blade Screwdriver, gently pry the battery-free from its connector.

If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.

• Wait one hour, then reconnect the battery.
    • Put the computer cover back on.
    • Plug the computer and all devices back in.

You can now try booting into BIOS – it should complete successfully.

Make sure you are grounded, otherwise, static electricity can damage parts of your computer

Alternatively, if you can use a Jumper there, set it to Clear or CLR position and restart your computer.

Make sure that you put the Jumper back after your computer has booted.

Hopefully, this post will you to reset or clear CMOS.

This article How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 17, 2021

2. Help Clearing CMOS

Ok, it failed to serve its purpose.

Story time ladies and Gents.

I was installing Windows Vista and it said computer will need to restart to continue it restarts and comes to a screen the says Installing Windows. Now don't ask why, but I hit reset and now the computer just hangs at the mobo screen. Can't enter the BIOS or anything, won't boot my CD in the drive, nothing. It's totally unresponsive. Clearing the CMOS seemed to work as it said "Entering Setup" after I pressed delete. But it sat on the screen for 10 minutes and so I reset and now it just hangs on the screen again.

Please, someone tell me where to start. *Stick Out Tongue How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10 :p

Metal-Head, May 17, 2021
  3. clear CMOS

As @Law- II said .....

please fill your system specs.
    If you have a desktop motherboard i would suggest to see if you CMOS battery is not dead.

scoutingwraith, May 17, 2021
  4. XVI
    xvi Win User

clear CMOS

+1

Especially if it says "Defaults loaded", it's your battery almost without question. If it hangs and you have to reset it yourself, still check the battery, but it could be something else. Memory would be the thing. I'd suggest running Memtest86+ and letting it do a few full loops.

If Memtest comes up clear, I've seen it be an issue with the BIOS itself. A firmware update might solve the issue, but this is something you'll want to be rather careful about.

As with most computer problems, detail is key. Including what hardware you have, what BIOS settings you apply (if any), and exactly what happens and how to recreate the problem will go a long way in helping us diagnose the problem.

Thema:

1. How to reset or clear CMOS on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - reset clear CMOS

2. How to reset windows 10 laptop asking to clear tpm

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to reset windows 10 laptop asking to clear tpm: I have a windows 10 laptop im trying to reset so i can sell it, but when i tried to reset it it asked if i wanted to clear the computers tpm, i selected yes after reading some guides online, but when i did put me on an “undoing changes” screen before sending me back to my...
  3. How to reset windows 10 laptop asking to clear tpm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset windows 10 laptop asking to clear tpm: I have a windows 10 laptop im trying to reset so i can sell it, but when i tried to reset it it asked if i wanted to clear the computers tpm, i selected yes after reading some guides online, but when i did put me on an “undoing changes” screen before sending me back to my...
  4. How to reset windows 10 laptop asking to clear tpm

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to activate Windows after clearing CMOS Error 0x803FABC3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows after clearing CMOS Error 0x803FABC3: I brought a copy of Windows 10 from MS Store and then updated to Windows 11. Everything was fine. Then I installed new RAM and it wasnt working right and I noticed on the Corsair site if you are getting memory error you can try clearing CMOS to correct it so I did. Now I have...
  6. Unable to activate Windows after clearing CMOS Error 0x803FABC3

Unable to activate Windows after clearing CMOS Error 0x803FABC3: I brought a copy of Windows 10 from MS Store and then updated to Windows 11. Everything was fine. Then I installed new RAM and it wasnt working right and I noticed on the Corsair site if you are getting memory error you can try clearing CMOS to correct it so I did. Now I have...
  7. BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset

BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset: In May this year I bought a second hand custombuilt pc, and after a few months it started getting BSODs pretty often. I tried tweaking some bios settings, most of the time lowering the dram frequency would fix it for a couple of days but the same problem would come back soon...
  8. BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset: In May this year I bought a second hand custombuilt pc, and after a few months it started getting BSODs pretty often. I tried tweaking some bios settings, most of the time lowering the dram frequency would fix it for a couple of days but the same problem would come back soon...
  9. Windows 10, Reset, TPM clear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, Reset, TPM clear: Hello, I own a surface pro3,came with windows 8. It upgraded to windows 10. Now I want to reset my surface pro3 to clean wipe everything for a fresh use. I went to windows reset option and selected "remove all files" option.. after reset, it prompted me to select whether to...
  10. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?: Hey guys, So, I have this friend who messed up the BIOS settings on his Acer Aspire 5745G and now the laptop turns on but it's just a black screen. He said that he switched from his onboard video to his discreet video card and that's when the problem occurred. I know I can...