Windows 10: How to reset PC name back to default?

Discus and support How to reset PC name back to default? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How do I reset the pc name to what it was when I first installed windows? submitted by /u/unofficialmoderator [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/unofficialmoderator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. How to reset PC name back to default?

/u/unofficialmoderator, Feb 5, 2021
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Feb 5, 2021
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Feb 5, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

How to reset PC name back to default?

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How to reset PC name back to default? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

How to reset PC name back to default?

1. How to reset PC name back to default? - Similar Threads - reset name default

2. PC name reverts back automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC name reverts back automatically: I renamed my laptop from "Administrator" to my name i.e. "MichaelAndreas". After restarting the laptop, sure it is the name has changed to "MichaelAndreas", but if I restart it for the 2nd time, it reverts back to "Administrator". How so?Additional information, my laptop is...
  3. PC name reverts back automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC name reverts back automatically: I renamed my laptop from "Administrator" to my name i.e. "MichaelAndreas". After restarting the laptop, sure it is the name has changed to "MichaelAndreas", but if I restart it for the 2nd time, it reverts back to "Administrator". How so?Additional information, my laptop is...
  4. How to reset file types back to default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset file types back to default?: Hi, im curious on how to reset all file types back to default in windows 10? 178249
  5. How do I reset my screen resolution back to default?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reset my screen resolution back to default?: I was messing around in my settings because I was curious and ended up changing my screen resolution. The "recommended" settings make everything seem... crunchy, and the other settings either don't fit my monitor or make everything huge. The one I currently have it set to...
  6. Reset files and folders icon back to default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reset files and folders icon back to default: Hello, my name is Daniel and a friend of mine has recently told me to use custom desktop themes. So, from the image as you can see, I've done it. But the problem is, I wanted to bring it back to default. I have tried doing some research on google. I uninstalled the app that...
  7. How to reset shell folders back to default settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to reset shell folders back to default settings?: So I messed up and deleted the Start-up folder and Maintenance folder and now I have issues with start up programs not responding or showing in Task Manager even if I check the box on the programs to start up, is there anyway I can reset the shell folders so I can get the...
  8. Reset keyboard back to default

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset keyboard back to default: I have a HP2020 laptop running Windows 10. My keyboard shortcut keys don't work properly, i.e. when I press the Windows Icon + various keys, nothing happens. How can I reset my keyboard back to the factory default ?...
  9. A Service I've changed the default settings keeps resetting back to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    A Service I've changed the default settings keeps resetting back to default: There is a Service where I need the Log On property changed to "Local System account" with the allow service to interact with desktop checked. This is required for a program that needs to be run that connects to an external device. After some time it changes back to the...
  10. Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows: How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How To reset computer name

2. how to reset desktop name