Windows 10: How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...

Discus and support How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I will be selling a PC I custom built soon and would like to know the best way to have it reset and then also have it retain the Windows 11 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Preston Sass, May 25, 2024.

1. How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...

I will be selling a PC I custom built soon and would like to know the best way to have it reset and then also have it retain the Windows 11 Home license retail version that is on it. I built a new PC and purchased another license for it so would like to have the PC I am selling retain its current Windows license for the new owner. Is this possible?

:)

Preston Sass, May 25, 2024

2. Windows 10 license moving to new owner.

I have sold my laptop with windows 10. Before selling it I reset my laptop to get rid of all my data. But now the computer asks the new owner for a windows license key after setting up the laptop. After searching on the internet, I understand that the
    key is apparently connected to my microsoft account. How can I transfer the key to the new owner, so he can activate windows?

I have no phisical acces anymore to the laptop, since the new owner already has the laptop.

OleIoannen, May 25, 2024
  3. EmilyS726 Win User
    Selling a Window 11 laptop with OEM license - sanity check

Hello, this is Emily.

Since the laptop comes with OEM license, you don't have to worry about transferring the license, because it is simply not transferrable. OEM license is embedded on the motherboard, so the new owner will have the license no problem.

After you backup your own files. A factory reset is sufficient for this process. Once reset is done, no need to set it up. The next owner can set it up. Windows will be automatically activated and then linked to their own Microsoft account.

Steps 2 and 4 can be done, but not necessary. When the new owner sets up the computer, it will not reuse the current device name at all. So the current device name listed in your Microsoft/Stream/Google accounts etc basically means nothing other than a record.

EmilyS726, May 25, 2024
  4. Dalancas2 Win User

How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...

Windows 10 Pro license transfer to new owner

I have a Samsung laptop with OEM Windows 10 Home installed originally. I upgraded via MS Store to Windows 10 Pro on this same PC. I used my Outlook.com ID for install/managing the PC.

I now want to sell the PC. It will be reset to factory, which is Windows 10 Home. How can the Win10 Pro upgrade be provided to the new PC owner, or will the upgrade automatically be downloaded/applied to the PC when the new owner connects to the Internet?

I am removing the device from my Outlook (Microsoft) account. So, it should no longer be tied to me or my account. I want the upgrade license to stay with the PC asset, as my new PC has Pro license.

Thank you

Dalancas2, May 25, 2024
Thema:

How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...

1. How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new... - Similar Threads - reset sell owner

2. Bought new digital license of Windows 11 Home and cannot activate it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought new digital license of Windows 11 Home and cannot activate it: Hello,Today I bought a digital license of Windows 11 Home in the official Microsoft store. When I am trying to enter the key into the activation window it says I recently changed my hardware. How can that be with a new key? I am waiting for the support to call me, but until...
  3. How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset PC to sell to new owner but retain active Windows 11 Home license for new...: I will be selling a PC I custom built soon and would like to know the best way to have it reset and then also have it retain the Windows 11 Home license retail version that is on it. I built a new PC and purchased another license for it so would like to have the PC I am...
  4. Reset Windows 11 22H2 for new owner problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Windows 11 22H2 for new owner problem: I just sold my win 11 PC, but I need to wipe all my details from the SSD.How do I reset the PC so that when the owner gets it , he can set up his own name and MS login, password ?Online, all I can find are solutions involving me, having to fill in the new owners details,...
  5. Reset Windows 11 22H2 for new owner problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Windows 11 22H2 for new owner problem: I just sold my win 11 PC, but I need to wipe all my details from the SSD.How do I reset the PC so that when the owner gets it , he can set up his own name and MS login, password ?Online, all I can find are solutions involving me, having to fill in the new owners details,...
  6. Selling my Windows 11 PC. How does the new owner associate the Windows license with their...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selling my Windows 11 PC. How does the new owner associate the Windows license with their...: It's my understanding that Windows product keys are associated with specific Microsoft accounts now. I have changed hardware several times with my current Windows product key and each time, I install Windows and skip product key entry. Then, when I register my Microsoft...
  7. Selling my Windows 11 PC. How does the new owner associate the Windows license with their...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Selling my Windows 11 PC. How does the new owner associate the Windows license with their...: It's my understanding that Windows product keys are associated with specific Microsoft accounts now. I have changed hardware several times with my current Windows product key and each time, I install Windows and skip product key entry. Then, when I register my Microsoft...
  8. Selling PC and transferring Windows 10 license to new owner

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Selling PC and transferring Windows 10 license to new owner: I have an Asus desktop that can with Windows 7 license and took advantage of the free upgrade. From memory I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Then upgraded to 10 Pro. I've wiped the PC clean and removed it from my Microsoft account in the device management page of my...
  9. Reset PC for new owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reset PC for new owner: I have an HP Stream Model 14-axo12ds that is running Windows 10 x64 bit. Although I have removed every app and all stored data, I am still 2 GB short of being able to perform a complete reset. I have attached an external Seagate 2TB drive that I has a partition of 1TB...
  10. Move an activated Windows 10 to new owner - How to?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move an activated Windows 10 to new owner - How to?: I have inherited a laptop with an activated windows 10 Home. Now I want to delete the dead owners account, and put myself as admin of this laptop. But how do I do that? The license for this windows 10 is tied to his Microsoft account? Is it possible to move this digital...