Windows 10: How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10

Discus and support How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft improved the screenshot taking functionality of Windows in Windows 10 significantly. The operating system comes with plenty of options to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 27, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10

Microsoft improved the screenshot taking functionality of Windows in Windows 10 significantly. The operating system comes with plenty of options to take screenshots, and one of the easiest options is to use the keys Windows+Print for that.

A new screenshot is saved to the default Screenshots directory on the system whenever you use the keyboard shortcut. You can open File Explorer manually and select Pictures in the sidebar to open it, or load %userprofile%\Pictures\Screenshots directly instead anywhere provided that an address bar is available.

Windows assigns file names to screenshots automatically. Each file name begins with Screenshot but since file names need to be unique, a counter is added to the file name. Windows increases the counter by 1 each time you take a new screenshot on the system. The index is incremented by 1 automatically so that you end up with names like Screenshot (1).png, Screenshot (2).png and so on.

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 windows-10-screenshot-number-filename.png

The counter is not reset, even if you delete files in the Screenshot directory or move all files to another location. Windows remembers the last used number and will increment it by 1 automatically.

Option 1: Resetting the Screenshot Index in the Windows Registry

Windows keeps track of the index in the Registry. You may reset it easily provided that you have elevated privileges on the system to edit the Registry.

Here is how that is done:

Step 1: Opening the Registry Editor

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 regedit.png

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-R to open the run box.
    2. Type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key. This should load the Registry Editor.

Step 2: Navigate to the right key

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 registry-key.png

1. Paste the following Registry path into the address bar in the editor: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
      • You may use the hierarchy on the left to go there manually as well if you prefer that.

Step 3: Backup the Registry key (Optional)

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 export-registry-key.png

It is recommended that you back up the relevant Registry keys before you make changes to the Registry. The step is optional but recommended.

1. Right-click on Explorer in the left sidebar and select Export from the context menu.
    2. Select a filename for the backup of the Registry key and a location on the device.

Step 4: Edit the ScreenshotIndex Registry value

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 windows-screenshot-index-number.png

Windows stores the current index in the Dword value ScreenshotIndex under Explorer. All that needs to be done to reset it is to change the data value of ScreenshotIndex.

1. Double-click on ScreenshotIndex in the right pane in the Registry Editor.
    2. Replace the value in value data by setting it to 1.
    3. Click ok.

The next screenshot that you take using Windows-Print will be Screenshot (1).png. A restart of the system is not necessary, changes apply right away.

Option 2: Reset using a Registry file

How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 reset-screenshot-index.png

You can speed up the resetting of the screenshot index on Windows 10 by using a Registry file instead. All that is required in this case is to double-click the file to reset the counter.

1. Download the Registry file with a click on the following link: Reset Screenshot Counter Windows
    2. Verify the Registry file by opening it in a text editor.
    3. Double-click on the downloaded file.
    4. Windows displays a verification prompt. Select yes to apply the change to the Registry, or no to cancel.

Notes:

Windows picks the next possible number automatically even if you reset the index to 1. If Screenshot (1).png exists in the Screenshots folder, Screenshot (2).png is automatically selected by Windows.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 27, 2019
  2. Gunzorla Win User

Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?

When I Take Screenshot by Press Windows+PrtScn it Automatically Saves those Pictures by Naming them “Screenshot (1).png” “Screenshot (2).png” But I When Delete it, That Counter Still Keeps Going up (Screenshot (3).png) No Reset to 1 or 2 Again by Automatically ?

Manual Reset Index Counter is Only Way ?
    Screenshot Index Counter - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Gunzorla, Apr 27, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User

Lightshot is excellent, small 3rd party tool that will reset counter after you delete. Choice of png or jpg save, remembers last save location and many drawing tools w/o having to open a drop down menu. If you want to try, go here, read tutorial but very intuitive and easy to learn in few minutes - Lightshot — screenshot tool for Mac & Win

mrgeek, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Gunzorla Win User

I Already Use it and Want to Give 5 Star Rate. That is Amazing 3rd Party for Take Any Screenshot How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 :)

Thank for Recommend

Gunzorla, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

1. How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - reset Screenshots counter

2. How to Screenshot on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Screenshot on Windows 10: Whether you work from home or want to show an achievement from the game you’re playing, the screenshot function has become vital to those with Windows 10. While there are some standard shortcuts on the operating system, there may be some you’re not aware of. Here’s a quick...
  3. Difference between Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes and Get-Counter -Counter...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference between Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes and Get-Counter -Counter...: Hi I notice I get two different output from running "Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes" and "Get-Counter -Counter \System\Processes". "Get-Counter -Counter \System\Processes" seems to give the same output as when I am executing "Get-Processmeasure" Can anyone...
  4. how to take screenshot in windows 10

how to take screenshot in windows 10: Method One: Take Quick Screenshots with Print Screen PrtScn Press the PrtScn button to copy the screen to the clipboard. Press the Windows+PrtScn buttons on your keyboard to save the screen to a file. Use the built-in Snipping Tool. Use the Game Bar in Windows 10. How to...
  5. Reset a account login counter/lockout threshold in Windows 10 Home

Reset a account login counter/lockout threshold in Windows 10 Home: Good day. May i request help, I am sharing a printer from pc 2 using the account (user b) and accessing the printer from pc 1 (user a). I am sharing it in the network via IP address. Suddenly, I cannot print anymore as I noticed that account credentials is not accepted...
  6. Counter Strike on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Counter Strike on Windows 10: I would just like to report that Counter Strike Global Offensive is working fine with windows 10. I have seen no performance changes since my upgrade from windows 8.1. I have read, that players have had issues with Dota 2. I have an Nvidia Graphics card. 11322
  7. How accurate are FPS counters

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How accurate are FPS counters: Hi anyone any idea with regards to the above? The reason I ask is that my TV is a 4k 60hz panel yet when I use any of the FPS counters they regularly show in excess of 60frames, is that correct?. I've tried Fraps, Afterburner and Steam in game counter. Thanks. 79479
  8. Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information When you have the Account lockout duration. A disadvantage to setting Reset account lockout...
  9. Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?: When I Take Screenshot by Press Windows+PrtScn it Automatically Saves those Pictures by Naming them “Screenshot (1).png” “Screenshot (2).png” But I When Delete it, That Counter Still Keeps Going up (Screenshot (3).png) No Reset to 1 or 2 Again by Automatically ? Manual...
  10. Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10: How to: Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 How to Reset the Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 [img] Information Sometimes it's simpler to show someone what's on your screen than it is to explain it. Windows lets you take a picture of the screen so you...