Windows 10: How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices?

Discus and support How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Resetting user permissions on a Windows 11 device is an essential troubleshooting step that can help resolve app or program issues. If you've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 4, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices?

Resetting user permissions on a Windows 11 device is an essential troubleshooting step that can help resolve app or program issues. If you've been having problems with user profile settings, it may be necessary to restore user permissions to their default settings.

Fortunately, Windows 11 offers several methods for resetting user permissions, and this guide will walk you through the process.

How to reset user permissions on Windows 11?

User permissions are essential for maintaining the security and integrity of your Windows 11 device. If you've been having issues with user profile settings or apps not running properly, resetting user permissions to their default settings can often help.

There are two ways to reset user permissions to default in Windows 11:

1. Using the Icacls command
    2. Using the Secedit command
    How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices? How-to-reset-user-permissions-on-Windows-11.jpg
    You have two different options to reset user permissions on Windows 11
    Using the Icacls command

The Icacls command is a powerful tool that lets you modify and reset file system permissions for files and folders. To reset Windows 11 user permissions to their default settings using the Icacls command, you'll need to take ownership of the folders first.

Once you've done that, open an elevated Command Prompt and type in the following command:

icacls * /t /q /c /reset

Hit Enter to execute the command, and it will reset all user permissions to default for every file and folder within the current working directory. Here's what each parameter of the command does:

• – This is a wildcard character that includes all folders within the current directory
    • /t – Targets all the subfolders and files within the current folder
    • /q – Runs the command without displaying success messages
    • /c – Continues the operation even if errors occur
    • /reset – Resets the permission options to their default values
    Using the Secedit command

The Secedit command is a built-in tool in Windows 11 that lets you configure and analyze system security. To reset all user permissions to their default settings using the Secedit command, open an elevated Command Prompt and type in the following command:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Hit Enter to execute the command and wait for the process to finish. Once it's done, restart your computer, and the user permissions will be reset to the default system settings.

Not sure if you would like to upgrade to Windows 11? Check out Windows' blog post on their newest operating system.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 4, 2023

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, May 4, 2023
  3. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 4, 2023
  4. How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices?

Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

Here are the User permissions I have in my Windows 10 Home Explorer for Program Data:

CREATOR OWNER - Allow Special Permissions

SYSTEM - Allow Full control, Modify, Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Write

Administrators - Same as System

Users - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Special Permissions

There are also default Windows 10 NTFS file permissions here:

https://winaero.com/reset-ntfs-permissions-wind...

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-ntfs-p...

https://droidrant.com/how-do-i-reset-my-permiss...

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack, May 4, 2023
Thema:

How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices?

1. How to reset user permissions on Windows 11 devices? - Similar Threads - reset user permissions

2. how to reset windows 11 user password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reset windows 11 user password: how to reset windows 11 user password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-windows-11-user-password/7e92d8b5-be00-4e06-aa4e-1e11da836395
  3. how to reset windows 11 user password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reset windows 11 user password: how to reset windows 11 user password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-windows-11-user-password/7e92d8b5-be00-4e06-aa4e-1e11da836395
  4. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  5. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  6. how to reset admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reset admin permissions: i was wondering how i reset admin permissions because i tried having it so you dont need an admin password now there is no admin and i cant apply anything to the cumputer. basically on the computer it has no admin so you cant add anything to it and im trying to figure out how...
  7. how to reset admin permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to reset admin permissions: i was wondering how i reset admin permissions because i tried having it so you dont need an admin password now there is no admin and i cant apply anything to the cumputer. basically on the computer it has no admin so you cant add anything to it and im trying to figure out how...
  8. How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?: I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I reset all the user permissions to default?...
  9. How to reset all user permissions for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset all user permissions for Windows 10?: I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-all-user-permissions-for-windows-10/d9f13e98-348c-4046-8d42-8f58e573b3ef
  10. User account permissions need resetting.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account permissions need resetting.: I've converted my administrator account to a standard user account and created a new administrator account. As a standard user I am able to access the admins user folder which I should not be able to do. There must some issues with the permissions somewhere but I'm not...