Windows 10: How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with?

Discus and support How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was messing around with some mods in a game and I messed up a default .cfg but saying to always open with edge, now my game is messed up and it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ahardreboot, Apr 11, 2020.

1. How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with?

I was messing around with some mods in a game and I messed up a default .cfg but saying to always open with edge, now my game is messed up and it will only let me set it to something else, I want to just reset it before I messed around it with

submitted by /u/Ahardreboot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ahardreboot, Apr 11, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with? :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Apr 11, 2020
  4. How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with?

Non-Store Default Apps for a file protocol in windows 10

Hi Ajo,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1) Right click on the file and select choose another app to open. It will display the list of apps to open.

2) If the app is not listed then select more apps and check if you can find it.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with?

1. How to reset what Windows 10 chooses to open an app or file with? - Similar Threads - reset chooses open

2. How to Choose Batch file for Windows 10 (Settings) Default apps-> File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Choose Batch file for Windows 10 (Settings) Default apps-> File: How to change default app to choose a Batch file instead of a Microsoft Store App? If Outlook Attachment (heavy Excel file in my situation) can open with command line switches, it will be separate instance from existing Documents. This improve freezing of existing Documents...
  3. How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?: I think it's may be due to malware. When I choose to open with another app for a .mp4 file, it raises this. I'd like to know how to remove the first option which is clearly invalid in other options completely. It's very annoying....
  4. How do you reset a file to what it originally opened with?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you reset a file to what it originally opened with?: so I was messing around with some files and accidentally changed a GMPU file to HTML file and am not sure how to fix it, the only problem is I don't know where the original file was located, if anyone can a: tell me where I can find the Java file. b: tell me how to reset it...
  5. How to Reset Apps that open files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Reset Apps that open files: I accidently opened a properties file with adobe photoshop and i want to change it back into the normal file it comes when you download it is there anyway i can reset how files are opened?...
  6. What is an .aspx file and how to open it in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is an .aspx file and how to open it in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Have you ever seen a .aspx URL extension in your browser’s address bar? Something […] This article What is an .aspx file and how to open it in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How do I open an file with a specific app in the "Open" window without clicking "Choose...

How do I open an file with a specific app in the "Open" window without clicking "Choose...: When opening image files, I use Paint for most of the time, so of course, that's my default. However, I often use Windows Photo Viewer too but I have to click on "Choose another app" in order to see that app. How do I get the app in this see image window directly? [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 photo app "Choose other files"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 photo app "Choose other files": I had edited a video yesterday, worked fine. Went back on today to edit another video, when i tried to add videos to the video project i was met with a pop-up saying "Choose other files. Something went wrong". I have restarted my pc, went on to a forum that had the...
  9. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  10. How to reset default app for all 'open file with'

How to reset default app for all 'open file with': [ATTACH] How can i reset the option 'open file with' to dafault app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-default-app-for-all-open-file-with/d7e54c63-68a7-4f22-95e6-ded8b89d1d67"