Windows 10: How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

Discus and support How to reset your .exe file types or defaults? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tejaswi Chaudhary, Apr 22, 2024.

1. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always open with " box and well it happened, all of my .exe files now wanted to open in google chrome. Now whenever I try to open a .exe it goes to google and requests to download the file which is already downloaded and now I can't do anything in the laptop, only google works. So, I started watching tutorials on YouTube.Most of them said to create a dummy file and to break the bond. I tried it, nothing happened. Then in frustration I deleted google ch

:)

Tejaswi Chaudhary, Apr 22, 2024

2. Default app for .exe file types

Hello Guys

I am on Windows 10 and

I have accidentally changed the default app for .exe file types to notepad. Now everything is opening in nopp

I have changed default for .exe in registory to exefile but it is still not working.

If you can tell me the name of default program that opens .exe files and its location, I think that I would be able to change it using the "Choose default app for .exe files" menu.

If you have anyother solution, do share with me.

Thanks.

Haseeb-ur-Rehman, Apr 22, 2024
  3. Default app for .exe file types

Hi,

How did you accidently change the default app for .exe file types to notepad?

Which settings did you change?

Please let us know.

Type default apps in the search bar and from there you can change the default programs and apps.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries on the issue above. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Apr 22, 2024
  4. Bree Win User

How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How to reset your .exe file types or defaults? 274247d1586781472t-how-change-default-app-file-type-image.png

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How to reset your .exe file types or defaults? 274248d1586782515t-how-change-default-app-file-type-screenshot-4-.png

Thema:

How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

1. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults? - Similar Threads - reset exe file

2. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?: So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always open with " box and well it happened, all of my .exe files now wanted to open in google chrome. Now whenever I try to open a...
  3. How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset your .exe file types or defaults?: So, another day I was working on my laptop, and I wanted to open an extension file in Google Chrome and I accidentallyforgot to uncheck the "Always open with " box and well it happened, all of my .exe files now wanted to open in google chrome. Now whenever I try to open a...
  4. Default blocking of .exe files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  5. Default blocking of .exe files?

Default blocking of .exe files?: Hi all, Today I downloaded a program and noticed that when I tried to open/run the .exe file, nothing would happen. After some digging, I found that when I opened the file's properties, in the "Attributes" it was set to blocked. I checked the "Unblock" box and when I opened...
  6. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  7. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  8. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

9. How to reset default file type.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset default file type.: I accidentally made it so .css opens in internet explorer, how do i make it go back to however .css would open? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-default-file-type/9cd5b0fa-894b-4413-b993-227cb3995e89
  10. How to reset file types back to default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset file types back to default?: Hi, im curious on how to reset all file types back to default in windows 10? 178249