Windows 10: How to resize C: partition

Discus and support How to resize C: partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have the issue that my C: drive is pretty much out of space, I keep getting low space warnings and I've tried moving everything I can to my D: drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by philnolan3d, Jul 17, 2016.

1. How to resize C: partition

I have the issue that my C: drive is pretty much out of space, I keep getting low space warnings and I've tried moving everything I can to my D: drive. Basically it's a 1.5TB disk with C: and D: partitions. I'd like to take some of the space from D: maybe 100GB and move it to C:. It seems very hard to find a tutorial to do just that.

I feel like I can do it in Disk Management simply by shrinking D: by 100GB (or whatever) and then extending C: by that same amount but I want to be sure that I can do that without losing any data. I need this computer for work (and for play). Is there a straight forward tutorial on doing this somewhere? Thanks.

How to resize C: partition [​IMG]

:)

philnolan3d, Jul 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 update issue

I would increase the size of the System Reserved Partition before C partition on Disk 1 from 100 mb to 500 mb taking the disk space required from the C partition.

I suggest you use Easeus Partition Master (freeware) to resize your partitions.

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

You first need to reduce the size of C. This enables you to increase the size of the System Reserved Partition by taking up the space C has vacated. When you resize partitions it is all about before and after. Thus in the simple operation of C giving
    up space to the System Reserved partition when resizing or reducing the size of C the free space needs to be created before C. This enables you to resize the System Reserved partition by expanding into the free space you now have before C. When you have done
    the above apply the changes.

This page from the Easeus web site explains visually.

Resize operations - EaseUS Partition Master

Gerry C J Cornell, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro Update to Load 10586 Fail (System Partition Error)

How large is the system reservation partition and how much free disk space within the partition? You could make this small partition a bit larger using
    Easeus Partition Master (freeware) to resize your partitions.

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

To increase the size of the system reservation partition
    you first need to reduce the size of partition after the system reservation partition. This enables you to increase the size of
    the system reservation partition by taking up the space the next partition has vacated. When you resize partitions it is all about before and after. Thus in the simple operation of D giving up space to C when resizing or reducing
    the size of D the free space needs to be created before D. This enables you to resize C by expanding into the free space you now have after C. When you have done the above apply the changes.

This page from the Easeus web site explains visually.

Resize operations - EaseUS Partition Master

Gerry C J Cornell, Jul 17, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

How to resize C: partition

There is a flow in your plan. It's that pesky 350MB recovery partition because you cant extend or merge to D: with it in the way. It could be done only with adjacent partitions.
    I don't know haw you ended up with so many recovery partitions. Normally only one is needed.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  5. Huh... This is just the way it came. It's an Asus computer.

6. CountMike New Member
    Was it new ? This looks like 2 upgrades were done.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  7. Well I bought it new but I think it came with Win8 So I probably upgraded to 8.1 and then to 10.

8. CountMike New Member

That would do it. Personally, I don't use any recovery partitions, that problem is in my case solved by regular Macrium Reflect backup. If you don't need them you can get rid of middle and last one, not sure what could be done with first one. Last one is taking a lot of space.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  9. Huh Well I don't think I have any other means to recover if I need to. Would it be possible to get rid of them now, resize, then create a new one later?

10. CountMike New Member
    Trick would be to find out which one is for which. The one for last upgrade is probably only one needed. One is probably factory one and would bring you back to initial windows installed on it. I have no idea how to find that out.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  11. I was just looking at this Macrium Reflect, it says the free version can reorder and resize partitions.

12. CountMike New Member
    You can do it without it, right from disk management but that's not the problem. Problem is finding out which one you need to keep.
    With MR you can just make backup of needed partitions and than recover just them without others but that doesn't make right choice of what to keep and what to discard.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    A lot of discussion is made about recovery partitions but on Windows 10, they are not as important as on earlier versions.

On Windows 10, they are only used if you use the "reset my pc" option. Since you can do effectively the same from a windows 10 installation drive, you can delete them without any significant impact (other than a bit of time to download windows 10 installer on to a usb stick).

You can also create a barebones usb recovery stick using

control panel, recovery, create recovery drive and select to copy system files.

On my 32gb tablet, I delete all recovery partitions and create a Macrium Reflect image backup instead to another drive as they take up valuable space.

Use minitool partition wizard free and do following

Shrink D drive by 100 gb

Move D drive to right as far as you can.

Move recovery partition to right until next to moved D drive (or delete it altogether)

Expand C drive to fill up unallocated space.

cereberus, Jul 17, 2016
  15. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

1. How to resize C: partition - Similar Threads - resize partition

2. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...: Hi, I've been trying to install windows update but get the error 0x80070643.I've them came across this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI...
  3. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...: Hi, I've been trying to install windows update but get the error 0x80070643.I've them came across this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI...
  4. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  7. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  8. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  9. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives: I was using the disk management software in win 10 to first shrink a data partition on disk1old C; operating system.Then take the next one over D: and expand it to use that reclaimed space. The utility did say that it would change the partitions on the drive to logical drives...