Windows 10: How to restore 8.1 from windowsOld.wim file

Discus and support How to restore 8.1 from windowsOld.wim file in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Win10 on my base PC and no issues, but now it seems I've bricked my Samsung Slate 7 tablet(I5 64GB storage) during the upgrade to Win 10 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bugman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. bugman Win User

How to restore 8.1 from windowsOld.wim file

I installed Win10 on my base PC and no issues, but now it seems I've bricked my Samsung Slate 7 tablet(I5 64GB storage) during the upgrade to Win 10 on this one. The tablet cycles "restoring your previous version of windows" and reboots but never completes anything. I see a WindowsOld.wim file but how can I use this to restore back to windows 8.1 manually? I've tried everything else, and I don't have my install key handy (different location) so would prefer not to do a clean install at this point.

Any ideas?

:)

bugman, Aug 29, 2015
  2. Law K Win User

Can windowsold.wim save a corrupt Windows 10 SSD Drive?

Sorry, but in my message, I'm way passed that state. Thanks for the generic reply, but that does not help.

Again, I created the win 10 disk using the ISO file. Again, I used all the repair tools with no success. The drive is corrupt.

Again, how can I use the folder:

windowsold.wim

to revert back to win 7?

At this point, saving win 10 does not look like an option.

Law K, Aug 29, 2015
  3. jvbs Win User
    My Win 7 upgraded to 10 computer died, new computer is Win 8 that I've upgraded to 10, how can I restore the Win 7 back up files?

Answered on the "How To Geek" forum. Worked perfectly.

How to Restore Windows 7 Backups on Windows 8.1 or 10

Windows 8 offered support for restoring Windows 7 backups, but Microsoft removed this feature in Windows 8.1. There’s still a way to restore your files from Windows 7 backups on Windows 8.1 or 10, but it’ll
    take a bit more work.

4. Ztruker Win User

I have not found anywhere that stated a restore to 8.1 from Windows.old actually worked. Found lots of attempts but no successes.

Your best bet is to backup the existing hard drive or at least Windows.old to an external hard drive then do a clean install of 8.1.

See here:

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
    How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Copy any files or folders you want from the saved Windows.old to the new install.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  5. bugman Win User
    Yeah, did the clean install once I conjured up my install key, but can't open the new backup format windows 10 uses (Windows.Old.wim). Does anyone know how to open a .wim file?

bugman, Aug 30, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Maybe 7-Zip or WinZip?

Edit: Yup, just tried opening it with 7-Zip and it worked fine.

Ztruker, Aug 31, 2015
  7. bugman Win User
    Never was an option as the pc wouldn't boot up. I had to do a clean install. Now I'm looking into the .wim file and see what can be recovered. Also, I have a WHS 2011 backup at another location so will give that a shot at some point. Good to go for now.

bugman, Aug 31, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

It should also have been possible to access that option from a bootable Recovery Drive... but I see it's too late now anyway.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to restore 8.1 from windowsOld.wim file - Similar Threads - restore windowsOld wim

2. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. Recover from WIM files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover from WIM files.: I ran a backup via USB with windows 11 backup on 1/20/2024 in plans that if I ever needed a backup, I would have it. So slightly fast forward to now, I need the backup and I can't select it to restore. I have tried several different options via recovery including recover from...
  5. Recover from WIM files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover from WIM files.: I ran a backup via USB with windows 11 backup on 1/20/2024 in plans that if I ever needed a backup, I would have it. So slightly fast forward to now, I need the backup and I can't select it to restore. I have tried several different options via recovery including recover from...
  6. Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot: Hi, I am really at a loss, and was hoping someone would help. I have a .WIM that I need to restore to a test laptop.I have a USB thumb drive with WinPE on it. I have a USB SSD with the .WIM.The version of Windows is newer as of 6/2021, likely the latest version or one...
  7. How to recover My Documents directory from a WIM file

How to recover My Documents directory from a WIM file: Hi all, My computer crashed and I needed to replace it. I managed to remove the hard drive encase it. When I took a look I noticed a WIM file format. I read up on the subject but what isn't clear is how do you extract and recover MY DOCUMENTS directory within the WIM file...
  8. Deleting Windowsold

Deleting Windowsold: Following Windows10 upgrade to ver 2004...there is a folder that is very Large, close to 30GB...that has 5 or 6 sub-folders...that the upgrade saved prior version information in....it is of no value. I tried to delete it, I get need permission from administrator. I am...
  9. How to apply unattended.xml when applying a wim file from a bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply unattended.xml when applying a wim file from a bootable: Hy i am trying to apply a wim file to a new laptop, but i want to include the unattended file to skip some of the windows install steps like account creation and so on. I can't find a way to apply the unattended file. What is the order of applying a unattended file? First...
  10. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover from WindowsOld.win file